It’s with great regret that I’m writing this column from experience. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t regret getting divorced. No, that was a good thing — the right thing. However, I do regret having to drag my two girls through the emotional turmoil caused by the break-up of the family. Let’s keep it real.
The process of divorce sucks. And ours wasn’t even a contentious one. This was just a relationship that after ten years had run its course. Now what happens to most of us, speaking strictly from the guy’s perspective here, is we vow to “never get married again!” Then we spend the next two years chasing around women like we’re teenagers. But that lifestyle gets old when we realize one late night while we’re twerking in the club, “Oh my god, everyone in here is under twenty-five. I’M THE OLD MAN AT THE CLUB!” None of us wants to be ‘The Old Man At The Club.’
So we start seriously dating again — now open to the possibility of finding true and lasting love…again. For real this time. No seriously. We’ve learned vital life lessons and we plan on applying the new knowledge to making the next one work. I’ve since remarried (I think I got it right this time) but there was a ten-year period where I was the Divorced Dad Dating (DDD), and this made for some tricky moments. Women don’t really know how to date us. So allow me to toss a few knowledge grenades in the direction of those currently or potentially open to dating one of “us.”
1. Be present. He’s divorced. You’ve decided to date him nonetheless. So focus on that. Don’t put your new relationship behind the eight-ball by living in his past. It gets you nowhere. Don’t go trying to compare the way he was with her with the way he is with you. It’s not a contest.
2. Check your baggage. For the love of whatever deity you hold dear, leave your baggage out of the relationship as much as you can. It’s not easy. We’ve all lived a little, but if you’re still wrapping gauze around a wounded heart, you’re going nowhere fast. Same applies to him. The moment you get a whiff of residual hang-ups from the last chick, say, “Thanks but no thanks” and keep it moving.
3. Respect the kids. He may have kids. Once you decide that you’re okay with that, then you should really be okay with that. Newsflash; those kids aren’t going anywhere, so this is a package deal. And whatever you do, don’t try to be the child’s mother. Don’t try to compete or make disparaging remarks about the kid’s mom. Try being the cool aunt. And don’t give the guy a hard time about how much time he may or may not be spending with his children. You may be right. You could be wrong. But you will NEVER WIN. Don’t try to push this issue; just throw this one into the loss column.
4. Don’t rush it. In many cases folks make the mistake of trying to time stamp their relationships mainly because of a sense of urgency related to getting older. Either they want to hurry into something heavy prematurely, or they put the brakes on for fear of moving too fast, even though both parties feel the same intense bond. I think you feel what you feel when you feel it. At a certain point in life, you know what you want out of your partner…and what you don’t want in your partner. Why play games? The divorced guy is in a position where he’s been through enough to know what he wants to do with or without you – sometimes fairly quickly.
5. Understand that money could be an issue. Just accept it. Alimony and child support are not small tickets items. They’re real expenses. Many women forget this or they resent this. It’s a selfish mindset, but it does occur. “He can’t take me on vacation or to dinner because half of his earnings are going to his ex!” Yeah, that’s probably true. If that’s a problem for you, find another guy. But don’t voice that complaint to him. You’ll sound selfish and shallow…because you’re selfish and shallow.
Exotic Resorts May Be the Best Bet for a Holiday
An exotic vacation usually means exploring a distant foreign country, whilst resorts are places
to go for rest, sport, or which offers a particular speciality, with many resorts being part of a
popular tourist destination or on or near a beach. If you are planning a vacation to an exotic
resort it can be a once-in-a-lifetime vacation to a far-flung destination or a luxurious place to
stay closer to home where you can enjoy some pampering.
Why stay at an exotic resort
Exotic resorts often offer all-inclusive vacation deals, along with other options that leave you
to plan your stay more precisely to your own wishes. These resorts offer excellent customer
service, superb accommodation and facilities and are usually to be found in beautiful settings.
Here are some of the best resorts from around the world for you to consider:
Four Seasons Resort, Seychelles
This famous resort has made many feel they have entered Paradise. The gentle ocean breeze
floats up the granite hillside and into your tree-house villa tucked away from the other guests
staying at the resort. This is perfect for encouraging you to relax, either by your private pool
or in the clear blue waters of Petite Anse Bay. Perfect for a romantic stay, there is a Spa for
pampering and the chance for a sunset meal on a deserted beach.
Some enjoy simply sitting on their balcony, gazing at the ocean between reading their book,
sketching or checking out international bookmakers and betting sites for the chance of a
flutter. If you want another type of adrenaline kick, check out the resorts excellent kayaking
and snorkelling facilities, which are recommended by nearly all who try it.
Anantara Resort, Hua Hin, Thailand
The ultimate tropical getaway, the Anantara Resort is an award-winning site modelled on a
traditional Thai village and is just three hours drive south of Bangkok. The location is where
Thai royalty and aristocrats have been holidaying for almost one-hundred years. Today, you
can visit historical attractions alongside theme parks and shops as well as vineyards and golf
The resort is set among 14 acres of lush tropical grounds with lotus-filled lagoons and
meandering pathways through exotic foliage, with many rooms overlooking the shoreline.
Each day, chefs prepare freshly caught local seafood alongside Thai specialities. The resort
also has an award-winning spa located within a lagoon-inspired oasis offering you the perfect
opportunity to relax.
Kurumba is a well-established resort that opened almost 50 years ago and continues to offer
superb hospitality and contemporary facilities. There are seven speciality restaurants offering
cuisine from Italy to the Middle East as well as Thila, a restaurant which extends out over the
water which offers gourmet breakfasts and seafood dinners.
You can go snorkelling over the nearby reef full of colourful marine life or sign up to a dive
package as part of your stay, or just enjoy a private pool when staying at one of the spacious
villages. There are also deluxe beachfront bungalows offering direct beach access and views
of the crystal-clear waters.
Healthcare Workers To Receive Coca-Cola-Funded PPEs From Nigerian Red Cross
Since the outbreak of the Coronavirus disease in Nigeria, our healthcare workers have continued to lead the charge against the disease. As the number of recorded COVID-19 cases in Nigeria began to increase, these healthcare workers rose to the challenge and fought tirelessly to protect the lives of Nigerians impacted by the disease.
Considering the risks these healthcare workers face, there is a crucial need for adequate protective equipment for these brave frontline workers.
Coca-Cola is excited that over 400,000 Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) procured to support the intervention efforts of the Nigerian Government and other key stakeholders to fight the COVID 19 pandemic have arrived. We do believe that this will to provide succor to our healthcare workers on the frontlines
These PPEs comprise N95 respirators, surgical masks, examination gloves, face shields, medical gowns, no-touch thermometers, disposable aprons, heavy-duty rubber gloves, rubber boots, basic masks, disposable gloves, and hand sanitizers.
Since the first confirmed case of the disease in Nigeria reported in February, over 800 healthcare workers have contracted the disease. While Nigerians are encouraged to stay home where possible and practice social distancing, these healthcare workers are needed across the country in the continued fight against the disease.
This donation forms part of The Coca-Cola Foundation’s COVID-19 relief interventions in Nigeria. The Coca-Cola Foundation has provided $2.5m in grant to IFRC who seeks to directly impact the lives of 1.4 million people in Nigeria and across other countries in West and Central Africa under this partnership.
Taking Care of Tomorrow’s Leaders Today – The itel, Lagos Food Bank Example
Waking up to a special meal or choice gift is the best feeling ever. Hundreds of children in Mushin, mainland Lagos, had a filling taste of this feeling for the October 1 st celebrations. It’s an experience they will remember for a long time.
Being one of the most responsible corporate citizens around, celebrating Independence Day was always going to be on the radar for itel Mobile. To make this possible and memorable, the brand got to work in earnest. The focus of the work was picking the best way to commemorate the 60th independence anniversary of the most populous black nation on earth.
The efforts soon paid off through an impact-driven partnership with the Lagos Food Bank Initiative. With the arrangement, both partners considered a couple of activities capable of affecting communities positively and bringing smiles to people’s faces in Lagos. At the end of the exercise, taking care of children, the leaders of tomorrow, in the commercial city secured the highest votes.
With the decision, itel Mobile set about making this happen. Not surprisingly, the decision was
influenced by giving children the means to excel and prepare them for leadership and nation-building, for them to enjoy better life. For the good of their immediate family, community and the Nigerian society.
Idiko, Mushin, a suburb of mainland Lagos, was chosen as the benefiting community. And the partners strategically reached out to the beneficiaries, children and families, with gifts of love, care, happiness and support made possible by the itel Love Always On CSR initiative.
Over 1,000 families benefited from the gesture as well as 600 children, and each one of them received food packages to celebrate Nigeria’s 60 th Independence Day commemoration.
Speaking on the event and itel’s Love Always On CSR Initiative, Oke Umurhohwo, itel’s Marketing Manager said, ‘We wanted to mark this year’s Independence Day celebrations differently, and that is why we did something so momentous for our children. Children are the backbone of any longstanding community, and as such, we are proud to be able to give back and support them on their journey as leaders of tomorrow and for a better life.’
To meet the demands of the memorable event, 30 volunteers joined the customer-centric brand and the Lagos-based NGO to share smiles, and to convey just how important it is to love and take care of today’s children who will ultimately become leaders of tomorrow.
With the thoughtful activity, there are insights for everyone, from the government to citizens, on partnerships that are capable of making life better for children. Indeed, itel Mobile and the Lagos Food Bank Initiative have offered a great template on bringing this to reality.
- Entertainment10 hours ago
Regina Daniels Birthday: EVERYTHING You Need To Know
- Entertainment12 hours ago
‘My Landlady Chased Me Away And Started My Kind Of Business’ – Nkechi Blessing
- Politics14 hours ago
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
- National News11 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Lagos
- News Feed11 hours ago
Pasuma Says He Was Not Chased Out Of #EndSARS Protest In Lagos (Video)
- News Feed13 hours ago
#EndSars: “I Was Paid N500 To Bring A Knife To The Protest Ground” – Man Confesses (VIDEO)
- National News15 hours ago
‘#EndSARS One Of The Most Successful Protest In Nigeria’: Lai Mohammed
- Entertainment16 hours ago
Davido Celebrates His Son, Ifeanyi On His First Birthday