An Indian judge on Friday sentenced three men to hang after they were convicted of two gang-rapes, the first death sentences to be handed down for multiple s*x attacks since the law was toughened last year.
The sentences were announced at a court in Mumbai on the same day that a judge jailed 24 men in the southern state of Kerala over the gang-rape of a schoolgirl who was repeatedly s*xually assaulted over a 40-day period in 1996.
A series of mass protests over the levels of s*xual violence prompted the government to amend the law last year and allow for harsher punishments for rapists, including the death penalty for repeat offenders.
The three who were sentenced Friday had been found guilty of two attacks in July and August last year at the same abandoned mill compound in Mumbai, including an attack on a photographer that made global headlines.
Mohammed Salim Ansari, 28, Vijay Mohan Jadhav, 19, and Mohammed Kasim Hafeez Shaikh, 21, were convicted last month after a fast-track trial.
They were subsequently handed life sentences for one of those assaults, the gang-rape of an 18-year-old phone operator.
But they were also convicted this week under a new section of the law for being repeat rape offenders, which carries the death penalty.
“There needs to be zero tolerance for such incidents,” Judge Shalini Phansalkar Joshi said as she announced the sentences.
“A loud and clear message needs to be sent to society.”
Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam confirmed to AFP that this was the first conviction for repeat rape under the modified law.
The men, dressed in jeans, bowed their heads as they learnt their fate, while one of their mothers was removed from the court for swearing.
The 22-year-old photographer was gang-raped while on assignment with a male colleague in the overgrown mill compound, close to an upscale neighbourhood as well as slums from which most of the rapists hailed.
The phone operator, attacked in the same place, came forward after reading about the photographer’s ordeal.
Two other men have been jailed for life over the attacks: Mohammed Ashwaq Sheikh in the telephone operator case and Siraj Rehmat Khan in the case of the photographer.
A juvenile is being separately tried over the attack on the photographer, which sparked widespread anger in Mumbai, a city usually considered safer than the capital New Delhi.
Police described the photographer’s attackers as unemployed school drop-outs, while neighbours say they were a gang of youths known for petty theft and drinking in the area.
While the three who were sentenced to death had been tried under a fast-track system, the outcome in Kerala was the culmination of a marathon legal case which at one stage saw many of the defendants cleared.
The then 16-year-old victim was abducted from her school and raped over a span of 40 days in 1996 in cars, homes and hotel rooms, the court was told.
In sentencing the men, Kerala High Court judge K.T. Sankaran said the victim “had no chance to escape from her captivity’’.
All but one of the men had been acquitted in 2005 by the same court, but India’s Supreme Court ordered a retrial after outraged women’s rights activists challenged the verdict.
India’s legal system is notoriously slow, but its rape laws were toughened after the fatal gang-rape of a student in New Delhi in December 2012 sparked nationwide protests over the lack of safety for women.
Four men were sentenced to death in September over the Delhi case after they were convicted for murder, gang-rape, theft, conspiracy and “unnatural acts’’.
India only allows for the death sentence in the “rarest of rare’’ cases. All executions are carried out by hanging.
US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19
President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.
The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.
Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.
Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2020
On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.
He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.
Hope Hicks, who has been working so hard without even taking a small break, has just tested positive for Covid 19. Terrible! The First Lady and I are waiting for our test results. In the meantime, we will begin our quarantine process!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2020
Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP
Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.
The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.
This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.
It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.
Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.
Today, we witnessed the swearing-in of His Excellency Mr. Bah N'daw and Colonel Assimi Goita as President and Vice President of Mali's Transition Govt. The #Ecowas mediation team congratulates these new Malian leaders and wish them success.
– GEJ pic.twitter.com/TQ9kinviQN
— Goodluck E. Jonathan (@GEJonathan) September 25, 2020
- Entertainment12 hours ago
“Those Inmates In Benin Were Illegally Released By Authorities” – BBNaija’s Tacha Claims
- News Feed15 hours ago
Thugs set prisoners free after hijacking #EndSARS protest in Edo
- National News15 hours ago
BREAKING: Edo Government Declares 24-Hour Curfew
- Education18 hours ago
NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest
- Entertainment16 hours ago
‘Arrest Us Too’ – Genevieve Nnaji Reacts To Arrest Of Protesters In Kano
- Travel15 hours ago
Exotic Resorts May Be the Best Bet for a Holiday
- Trending18 hours ago
#EndSARS: FG Should Not Act As If People Trust Them – Seun Kuti
- Entertainment11 hours ago
#EndSARS: ‘We Want To Change Established Systems’ – Singer Bez