Connect with us

Politics

FG Rejects Mugabe’s Corruption Statement, Summons Head Of Chancery To Register Protest

Published

on

GEJ-MugabeThe Federal Government summoned yesterday the Zimbabwean Head of Chancery, Stanley Kunjeku, over remarks credited to President Robert Mugabe, which depicted Nigerians as corrupt.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs summoned Kunjeku in Abuja to protest against Mugabe’s comment.

The Permanent Secretary Dr Martin Uhomoibhi, described Mugabe’s comment as “vitriolic and denigrating on Nigeria and Nigerians”.

He added: “We were concerned when we read that on the occasion of the 90th birthday of President Mugabe, he took time to vituperate about Nigeria”.

The permanent secretary noted that Mugabe’s comments reflected “what we consider to be a strong aversion of our country, remarks which we consider denigrating …on Nigeria and Nigerians in general”.

Uhomoibhi said: “He (Mugabe) was reported to have said Nigerians are corrupt people, when he hosted service chiefs on his 90th birthday.

“We want to present the strongest protest against that statement; not only does it not reflect the reality in our country, but to come from a sitting President of a brotherly country is most unkind and very dishonourable”.

The Uhomoibhi said the Zimbabwean President’s comment was unfortunate, given the role Nigeria played in the liberation struggle of southern Africa.

He said Nigeria had always stood by Zimbabwe “shoulder-to-shoulder” since independence and was one of the first countries to congratulate Mugabe on his re-election.

“At the point sanctions were imposed on your country, Nigeria empathised with Zimbabwe”, Uhomoibhi said.

The permanent secretary told reporters that Nigeria’s reaction to the comment was not belated, because it had been in the public domain since March 15.

“In our diplomatic parlance, we do not react the way people would want us to react. We have to verify and articulate our position”, he said.

Kunjeku said Nigeria’s protest would be forwarded to Harare, the Zimbabwean federal capital.

Also, Uhomoibhi condemned last week’s attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

He said: “We condemn, in strong terms, any act of racism, xenophobia and discrimination perpetrated by whomsoever, including in that particular country.

“We are appalled that these incidents occur from a country we hold in highest esteem and which is a brotherly country to Nigeria.

“We hope that due processes would be taken so that this does not happen (again)”.

The permanent secretary urged the South African Government to take appropriate actions against those responsible for the attacks.

He urged South Africa to abide by its commitment to international standards of behaviour and cordial relations between both countries.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that on April 2 and 3, some Nigerians were hospitalised in Pretoria, after attacks by organised gangs in South Africa.

Also, 25 shops belonging to Nigerians in Johannesburg and Pretoria were looted by South African gangs. (NAN)

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. irikefe fadason

    April 11, 2014 at 12:38 pm

    That statement by President Mugabe of Zimbabwe on Nigerians was very correct because corruption is one of the biggest problem we have in this country. It is now left for the federal government to put its house in order by seriously fighting corruption with all its apparatus so as to stemming down corruption in this country. The federal government is not doing enough in the area of fighting corruption. Mr President is the only person who can actually make this to work if he has the political will power. It is quite unfortunate for a leader of 90 years in the person of President Mugabe to speak the way he spoke about Nigeria because at his age he is not expected to speak in such manner in a public gathering. He did play to the gallery may be it could be as a result of his old age which tended to reduce his reasoning ability. May God bless Nigeria.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

AlphaBeta’s Collection Of $19m Monthly Revenue In Lagos Sacrilegious, Says Bode George

Published

on

Bode George
AlphaBeta’s Collection Of $19m Monthly Revenue In Lagos Sacrilegious, Says Bode George

Bode George

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic  Party (PDP) Chief Bode George has described the collection of internally generated revenue in Lagos state by a private firm called AlphaBeta, which earns around N7.5bn ($19 million) monthly as sacrilegious.

The former National Port Authority (NPA) called on the state government to block all forms of revenue leakages.

He made this known while speaking on Arise TV on Friday morning.

Also Read: BREAKING: IGP Replies Amnesty, Says Policemen Didn’t Shoot #EndSARS Protesters

“There are so many leakages in the Lagos State Government purse. Take this AlphaBeta; who owns this AlphaBeta? What is the essence of the AlphaBeta? Where else in the world would you have an Inland Revenue Service, who have their own staff who are supposed to go out and collect the fees, but you have an independent company to be supposedly collecting the internally generated revenue from our state?

“It grosses around N50bn (about $130m) a month and you know how much that company (AlphaBeta) is paid 15% of it, that’s N7.5bn in thirty days going to the company, that is a leakage, that is sacrilegious.”

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Published

on

Governor Ganduje
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Governor Ganduje

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has reinstated his Special Adviser on Social Media, Tanko Yakasai.

According to reports, the Kano State Governor who had earlier suspended his media aide for condemning President Muhammadu Buhari over #EndSARS protests reinstated the aide without many details.

Also Read: Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew

Yakasai on his Twitter account had accused Buhari of being insensitive to the plights of Nigerians during the #EndSARS protests across the nation.

The development saw Governor Ganduje suspend his aide who was commended by Nigerians for the courage.

Ganduje, however, has ordered the reinstatement of his aide two weeks after his suspension.

Continue Reading

Politics

Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021

Published

on

Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021

Governor Fayemi

Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi has presented the proposed budget for the 2021 fiscal year in the State.

The Governor on Monday presented a budget estimate of over N109 billion for the 2021 fiscal year.

Governor Fayemi, while presenting the budget at the State House of Assembly complex yesterday in Ado-Ekiti described the 2021 budget as “Budget of Recovery and Economic Restoration.”

Also Read: #EndSARS Protests Politically Motivated – Kogi Governor

The budget has a recurrent expenditure of N57, 997,898,982.62k while the capital expenditure has N51, 668,386,739.99k.

Fayemi, said the budget proposal presented contains the policy thrust, programmes, and vision of his administration for 2021, saying efforts shall be made to source the needed resources to fund the budget.

Continue Reading

Trending