Connect with us

Metro News

Edwin Clark’s Kinsmen Kidnapped His Son – Police

Published

on

Clarks-son

Suspected kidnappers of Mr. Ebikeme Clark, son of elder statesman, Chief Edwin Clark, kidnapped Wednesday, at Kiagbodo, Delta State, has reportedly contacted the family, demanding about N50 million ransom for his release.

Delta State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ikechukwu Aduba, however, told Saturday Vanguard that the police have arrested three of the suspected kidnappers and were inching closer to their hideout, warning that no ransom should be paid.

According to him, one of the suspects confessed that he participated in the “planning stage of the kidnap,” adding that the police were working with ex-militant leader, Government Ekpemupolo, alias Tompolo and other Ijaw groups to track down the kidnappers.

Aduba said the kidnap was carried out by Ijaw kinsmen of Edwin Clark and the police would burst the syndicate.

Elder statesman, Chief Clark was said to have briefed President Goodluck Jonathan, the governor of Delta state, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan and Mr. Aduba on the incident.

It was gathered that he called the Commissioner of Police on Wednesday when his son was kidnapped and had been calling him frequently since then with Mr. Aduba assuring him that the police were doing everything possible to secure the release of his son.

On how the ransom was demanded, a source told Saturday Vanguard yesterday, “The kidnappers made contact with family members of Mr. Ebikeme Clark in the late hours of Thursday, April 3. They (kidnappers) and Mr. Ebikeme Clark spoke with family members through Mr. Ebikeme Clark’s phone.”

“In their usual manner, the kidnappers demanded for ransom. We were informed it is within the region of N50 million,” he added.

But, there was a clear indication yesterday, that abductors may not have their way in the ransom demand, as the police, collaborating with ex-militant leaders were hot on their pursuit.

Commissioner Aduba told Saturday Vanguard unofficially where the police suspected the kidnappers were hibernating and the rescue efforts, but pointed out, “They are not for publication.”

Our independent investigation, however, showed the kidnappers were hiding somewhere in the creeks between Delta and Bayelsa states.

IYC spokesman, Mr. Eric Omare, told Saturday Vanguard, yesterday, “The IYC has mandated its officials in the riverine clans of Oporomor, Seimbiri, Ingbelebiri and Mein in Bayelsa and Delta States to swing into action and fish out the kidnappers of Mr. Ebikeme Clark, son of Ijaw National Leader and Former Federal Commissioner for Information, Chief E. K. Clark. IYC, investigation so far is to the effect that the kidnappers hideout may be somewhere in the creeks around Delta and Bayelsa States close to the coast, that is the communities near the sea though from experience kidnappers are never stationed in one place as they move from one place to the other to avoid been caught.

“To this extent, all the Ijaw communities and community leaders in the communities close to the coastal parts of Delta and Bayelsa States have been contacted to form rescue team to comb all the creeks, towns and villages in a bid to free Mr. Ebikeme Clark without delay. The Ijaw people and communities are totally against kidnapping, sea piracy and other social vices.

“Also, some Ex-Niger Delta freedom fighters have volunteered to join forces with the IYC and security agencies to effect the release of Mr. Ebikeme Clark. While we appreciate the pains the Clark family may be going through, the IYC reiterate its position that ransom should not be paid to kidnappers. This is another case of commercial kidnapping; hence payment of ransom must be discouraged,” he said.

His words, “This incident coming shortly after the kidnap of the foster father of the President Jonathan and the relative of a Bayelsa State Commissioner has brought to the fore the need for all stakeholders in the Niger Delta to take drastic steps against kidnapping, sea piracy, oil theft and other social vices.”

“While condemning these vices, we wish to state that there is a direct nexus between these crimes and the economic situation of our people. Therefore, the IYC hereby call on multinational oil companies and state governments whose revenue has increased as a result of cessation of militancy in the Niger Delta region to perform their role of creating/providing jobs in the post amnesty era,” he added.

He asserted, “The concept of the Federal Government amnesty programme in the Niger Delta was for the federal government to mainly take care of the training while the oil companies and state governments are supposed to mainly handle the area of creation and provision of jobs. The IYC believes that creation of job opportunities is the long term solution to these social vices.”

Omare said, “The IYC would come up with its anti -kidnapping and anti- sea piracy strategy after the all Ijaw youths summit to be hosted by the Bayelsa state government on how to fight sea piracy, kidnapping, oil theft and other social vices.” [Vanguard]

Sports

The potential for iGaming in Nigeria uncovered

Published

on

There is a growing positivity surrounding the Nigerian iGaming industry. As the nation breathes a collective sigh of relief following the announcement of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA), it’s hoped that many burgeoning industries such as the world of iGaming can be allowed to flourish and bring much-needed tax revenues to the country.

Many analysts within the iGaming industry believe Nigeria has the potential to become Africa’s iGaming hub. Its domestic market is already forecast to be worth $2 billion, due largely to sports betting and the fascination with Nigerian soccer stars overseas like Odion Ighalo at Manchester United. Meanwhile, the domestic penetration of smartphones is also recognised, with some 83% of the population now owning a mobile device.

Nigeria was also a major focal point during this year’s SBC Digital Summit Africa, which was understandably conducted virtually earlier this month. Ahead of the summit, experts enrolled in the event were asked to vote on which African country offered the best foundations for iGaming operators to thrive. Nigeria outperformed every other nation, with 31% of all votes labelling Nigeria as the country with the highest potential to make a real
success of its domestic iGaming sector.

Even South Africa, which has a well-established domestic iGaming market, ranked second with just 28% of the vote. Prospective Nigerian iGaming operators should certainly take a leaf out of the book of South African iGaming brands, many of which have cultivated a strong customer base through the use of incentives and sign-up bonuses. The vast majority of offers available at platforms like Casinos.co.za, direct gamers to the safest and most reputable
platforms.

One of the main reasons that industry experts believe in Nigeria’s iGaming potential is that it already boasts an engaged target demographic. Many of its young adults are already betting on sports like soccer and boxing, and there is a feeling that introducing them to casino gaming verticals would not be too difficult a stretch. Marry that with a growing number of smartphone users, which is predicted to reach over 140 million people by 2025, and you can
see the potential for iGaming apps and web applications to provide immersive, secure gaming
on the go.

Presently, the country has three separate bodies responsible for licensing online betting activities – the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC), the Special Control Unit against Money Laundering (SCUML) and the National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion (NOTAP). At the time of writing, online betting at a domestic Nigerian site is strictly prohibited by law. Loopholes regarding offshore operators make it possible for
Nigerians to play elsewhere, but it seems somewhat short-sighted for the Nigerian government to steer clear of creating its own regulated, revenue-making iGaming industry.

In a nation of substantial population, supporters of developing a domestic iGaming industry in Nigeria believe that the most would be a positive step, creating new career opportunities for everyday people. This could be in customer support, game development or any other facet of an iGaming operator. All the while, generating tax revenues for the Nigerian government and helping to breathe new life into the domestic economy.

There is a general feeling that Nigeria’s gaming industries tend to follow the same path as South Africa’s. The SBC Digital Summit Africa revealed that there has been a “seismic shift” from sports betting markets to casino games in the last eight months, including live dealer tables, that’s according to Sean Coleman, CEO of the South Africa Bookmakers Association.

Live dealer games seemingly “appeal to millennials” across South Africa. Dean Finder, CEO of Evolution Services SA believes the fact that live dealer games are “not gender biased” is an opportunity to reach out to female players, which are an often “unserved market” across Africa.

For these trends to follow suit in Nigeria, operators will need to build further trust in their
games and regulatory measures to curry favour with the country’s legislature.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Femi Otedola Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting

Published

on

Femi Otedola Finally Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting
Femi Otedola

Femi Otedola

Nigerian businessman, Femi Otedola has finally reacted to the shooting that took place at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos on Tuesday.

Information Nigeria recalls men dressed in military wears opened fire on unarmed #EndSARS protesters, who convened at the area.

Otedola took to his Instagram page on Sunday to commiserate with the families of those who lost their lives in the unfortunate incident.

Sharing a photo of the Nigerian flag, he wrote;

“The horrors that have been unfolding in our country have left me filled with sadness. I deeply commiserate with those who have lost their loved ones and as a father, I share the sentiment of my three daughters who protested in Lagos and London. As a young boy of 16, I participated in the ‘Ali Must Go Protest’ of 1978, so I understand the determination of our youths who rightly want our country to be better. We must all do our part to make Nigeria great! I will continue to do my own quota in providing for those who are most in need of support in our country in these tough times .…F.Ote💲”

Read Also: Femi Otedola Spotted Dancing With His Children (Video)

See his post below:

Otedola’s post

Otedola’s post

Continue Reading

Metro News

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” – Brother Claims

Published

on

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” - Brother Claims
Oke

Oke

Information Nigeria recalls a graphics designer identified as Oke, was killed hours after tweeting “Nigeria will not kill me” on Wednesday.

It was reported that the young man had passed away after he was hit by a stray bullet.

The deceased’s younger brother, Daniel has come out to clear the air regarding the circumstances leading to his death.

Daniel revealed his brother was stabbed on the neck by thugs who infiltrated and ransacked their home.

In his words;

Good day, My name is Obi-Enadhuze Daniel younger brother of the now deceased Okechukwu Obi-Enadhuze @O_Okee . I, my brother and mother lived at makinde police barracks, mafoluku, Oshodi, Lagos State.

Today at about 11 o’clock in the morning the police station at makinde was attacked by thugs who wanted to destroy the station, I my mom and brother were holed up in our house.

 The attack went on for hours before the thugs eventually breached the police and proceeded to set the station on fire, after accomplishing this they set their sights to the barracks and began the assault, they proceeded to destroy every car in the barracks, my mom’s 2 cars where destroyed and set on fire and then they infiltrated our house by breaking the door they then proceeded to ransack the house and carted away with everything we own. 

 my brother on trying to get them to take everything but spare us was pushed to my mom’s room and stabbed on the neck, the attacker then proceeded to attack me but missed my neck but got my chin instead, after this my mom and I carried my brothers body to the entrance of the station soliciting for help from the thugs still ravaging the barracks, we were finally able to put him in a wheelbarrow and took him to a hospital where he was rejected because “he was already dead” unfazed we moved him to another hospital where he met the same treatment this was where he bled his last drops of blood and died, his body has now been moved to a morgue

we have lost every single thing we own, as our house was completely ransacked and set on fire the only thing left is my brothers phone and at about 8 o’clock this evening the barracks was still on fire but Okechukwu has paid with the ultimate price

I and my mother are homeless with nothing now but we’re safe for now, we thank everyone that has been able to reach out to us, and were able to share consoling words with us in these trying times, God bless you

While we were holed up in the house the three of us said these words together and we say it again ” THREE OF US ARE HERE, THREE OF US ARE TOGETHER, THREE OF US ARE SAFE”

Let it be known that my brother @O_Okee  was NOT killed by a police bullet but died a hero protecting my mother and I.

If you see this please retweet, let the world know how Okechukwu died. He was NOT killed by a police bullet but thugs in his home!”

Read Also: RIP Oke: Barely 3hours After Tweeting “Nigeria Will Not End Me” #EndSARS Protester Dies From Gunshot

See his post below:

Continue Reading

Trending