The Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra yesterday dismissed as baseless, the claim by Enugu State police command that MASSOB members were responsible for the failed attempt by some hoodlums to take over the Enugu Government House last Saturday.
A statement signed by MASSOB National Director of Information, Comrade Uchenna Madu on Tuesday said that “The Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra wishes to inform Ndigbo and Biafrans in general that last week violent attack in Enugu Government House was not carried out by our members”.
The group said the Police allegations “were baseless; it is an act of cowardice, and their intention is to tarnish our good, respected and acceptable image in Igbo land.
“The people, Enugu State Commissioner of police gave their names, are not our members; the whole drama is an arrangement of Enugu State Police Command thinking that MASSOB name should be brought to mud.
“The Hausa CP wants to create a negative impression that MASSOB is at war with government. He wants the Federal Government and the international communities to see MASSOB as a dissident group, so as to equate MASSOB with Boko Haram”, the statement read.