That the governor of Nigeria’s apex bank, Central Bank of Nigeria has been suspended by President Goodluck Jonathan may not longer be news, but what brought about his suspension and its attendant effects will remain a subject of discussion for a while.
Sanusi’s suspension on Thursday morning was contained in a statement released by the president’s spokesperson Dr Reuben Abati.
According to the statement, Sanusi was suspended due to reports of the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria and other investigating bodies indicating that his tenure has been characterised by “various acts of financial recklessness and misconduct which are inconsistent with the administration’s vision of a Central Bank propelled by the core values of focused economic management, prudence, transparency and financial discipline”.
The statement further said the president’s resolve to reposition the CBN for greater efficiency and accountability made Sanusi’s suspension pertinent at this time.
He was directed to hand over to deputy governor Sarah Alade who will serve in his stead until ongoing investigations on working against the mandate of CBN, breaching of enabling law and due process are concluded.
He has been invited by the SSS, detained, questioned and released, all in one day.
The presidency had last month queried the CBN governor over donations to some universities and organisations and communities by the apex bank. The donations include N500 million to the University of Benin, Benin; N10 billion to Uthman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto; N4 billion to Bayero University, Kano; and N100 million to the Kano State Government. The Nigerian government considered many of the donations as ultra-vires as they were said to be outside the powers and functions of the CBN.
A letter said to have been written by Sanusi to the Nigerian government on alleged unremitted $49.8 billion oil revenue which was believed to have been leaked to former President Olusegun Obasanjo who used information on the said letter to write his widely read open letter to President Jonathan also strained Sanusi’s relationship with the presidency. President Jonathan therefore asked him to resign, but Sanusi declined and informed the president during a heated telephone exchange reported by Thisday, that he could only be removed by two-thirds of the Senate as required by law. He also denied leaking the letter.
An analysis of the situation at the time by online media, octopusnews, and report from Aso rock sources predicted the current development.
Octopusnews reported that the presidency was resolved on firing Sanusi by way of a suspension, and then bar him from accessing his office once the announcement is made, adding that one of the deputy governors within the bank will then be named to step into Mr. Sanusi’s stead while the CBN governors best bet would be to do an endless but fruitless battle with the presidency through the court. Aso Rock strategists believe that with Nigeria’s slow judicial process, the CBN governor would be unable to get the court to reinstate him until his tenure expires in June.
“If all things go well, the presidency will give Sanusi the Salami treatment soon,” a highly placed source in the presidency said Thursday. “At least we are all agreed on that,” the online news platform quoted a source as saying.
Nigerians have wondered if the alleged sins of Mr Sanusi were enough to earn him a suspension or the presidency just chose the desperate option to kick out a pain in the a**.
Many Nigerians will refer to former aviation minister Stella Oduah whom many wanted sacked over an alleged N255 million bullet-proof cars scam which was investigated by a presidential committee whose report was probably thrashed. She stayed on several months as minister after several investigations and analysis found her culpable.
Nigerians’ perception of president Jonathan because of that and many others, had not been of a president who hates graft and does not condone breach of laws. Sanusi’s suspension would therefore be easily categorised under the ‘bitter vendetta’ list.
Although Nigeria reassured all stakeholders in the country’s financial and monetary system that its decision to suspend Sanusi was taken in good faith and in the interest of the Nigerian economy, analysts say the government’s decision to take the step at this crucial time in the country’s economy proves otherwise and spells doom. The nomination of a replacement (Zenith Bank MD Godwin Emefiele, who has to be confirmed by the senate before resuming office when Sanusi’s term ends) just hours after the suspension also suggests foul play.
Sanusi has over the past few months worked on ensuring a stable naira, using Nigeria’s forex reserves to buoy the weakening currency. He has also in conjunction with the country’s Bankers’ Committee and the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) brought up policies to keep the economy stable. If the country’s forex reserves deplete to a particular point, the CBN may have no other choice than to devaluate the naira, a scenario Sanusi recently said holds no advantage for Nigeria.
In a report published on February 13 by Renaissance Capital, the investment company predicts a further fall in Nigeria’s forex reserve which has fallen over $7 billion in 10 months, citing subpar oil production and higher imports due to election-related spending.
Sanusi’s recent policies are seen as a threat to politicians who would want enough cash flow as they campaign for the country’s general elections which will hold in 2015. One of such policies is the increase in the public sector Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) to 50%, which may be further moved to 100%. He also attempted increasing the private sector CRR but was outvoted by other members of the MPC.
Investors will be apprehensive about what comes next, and rightly so, as the economy might just have been pushed into a state of uncertainty.
Looking at the issue from another angle, Sanusi was probably too loud for a central bank governor. He failed to use diplomacy on several occasions when he should have. It may therefore not be wrong to say Mr Sanusi shot himself in the leg.
Sanusi’s replacement, Dr Sarah Alade may be the only one who can tell the fate of investors…most investors wouldn’t wait to find out.
The wicked shall not go unpunished – Oyedepo tells hoodlums looting, vandalizing properties
General Overseer of the Living Faith Church, Bishop David Oyedepo, has reacted to the ongoing vandalization and looting of government and private properties by hoodlums in the country.
Oyedepo declared that all the hoodlums taking undue advantage of the unrest in the country will not go unpunished.
The cleric made the declaration during his Sunday service on October 25.
The clergyman also prophesied that unrest in the country was over and that the peace of God has been restored back to the land.
“The sources of agitation will be wisely dealt with and favorably dealt with; the land shall rest again in the name of Jesus Christ.
“All the hoodlums who are taking advantage of this season, let hand be joined in hand, the wicked shall not go unpunished.
“Innocent people on the streets going about their own cause and businesses, they were in their shops, the only business they have.
“CAUTION! You don’t have a double life, you have only one, you don’t have a spare. Caution! I bind all activities of the devil behind every form of unrest being inflicted by hoodlums in the name of Jesus,” he prayed.
I have no plans of relocating, Laycon tells fan
Laycon, winner of Big Brother Naija season 5 edition has made it known that he has no plans of relocating outside Nigeria, in spite of all that is embroiling in the country.
His statement comes after one of his Icon fans expressed that few of the ex-housemates are planning to relocate outside the country, asking what Laycon plans on doing.
Laycon, thereafter, restated his love and commitment to his fans, adding that for him to leave the country, he would have to go with all his fans.
The fan identified as Amara wrote on Twitter:
“Vee, Neo, Nengi, Ozo dey plan japaa, only Laycon still dey write motivational tweets. @itsLaycon which way na?!”
In response, he tweeted:
“If I wan japa, I gats carry all my icons with me… So until that one dey possible, I dey here with Una.”
See post below:
If I wan japa, I gats carry all my icons with me… So until that one dey possible, I dey here with Una.. https://t.co/0lWHpepRk6
— Laycon #EndSARS 💡 (@itsLaycon) October 22, 2020
Untrained soldier flogs woman at ATM stand for telling him to join the queue
A Nigerian lady, Ada-oma, has take to social media to recount her experience in the hands of a soldier with the Nigerian Army.
According to her, she was at an ATM machine of the UBA branch at Oshodi area of Lagos when a soldier approched her, flouting the the rules of an existing queue.
The said soldier reportled assaulted Ada-Oma after she asked the uniform man to join the queue.
Taking to Twitter, she wrote,
“Hello Nigerians, I was just assaulted by an army official this morning 26/10/2020 at the ATM stand of @UBAGroup at their oshodi branch. i’m still shaking and crying as i write this because i have never felt this way in my entire life.
“I’m also scared writing this because he Threatened me. so my Life is your hands Nigerians.
I was on the ATM queue and this @NigerianArmy official asked me to move so he can pass, i asked him if he was on the queue that there is a queue, he asked me to move,i moved and continued asking him if he was on the queue, he flared up as you will see in the video below, and before i knew what happened he brought out his belt and hit me.
“This happened at your branch in oshodi and your security men were there. He hit me!!!!! I literally cried my way to the office. I never insulted him.
“Only asked if he was on the queue and he got angry and furious and violent. He threatened to make me bleed blood, in my own country because i asked if he was on the queue.I want justice.”
Watch the videos below:
Only asked if he was on the queue and he got angry and furious and violent.
He threatened to make me bleed blood, in my own country because i asked if he was on the queue.I want justice. @jidesanwoolu @Mr_JAGss @NigerianPolice @ProfOsinbajo
— ADA-OMA😍😍😍 (@vels20) October 26, 2020
— ADA-OMA😍😍😍 (@vels20) October 26, 2020
- Entertainment12 hours ago
‘It’s Really Sad That Fashola Is Part Of The Pantomime’ – OAP Toolz Reacts To Camera Found At Tollgate
- National News22 hours ago
Lagos Govt Reviews Curfew Time
- National News21 hours ago
I Am Avoiding Debates Over Lekki Toll gate Incident Until All Facts Are Established – Buhari
- News Feed19 hours ago
Lady buys carton of indomie with COVID-19 sticker in Akwa Ibom
- Entertainment16 hours ago
Tara Durotoye Reveals The Extent Of Damage Done To Her Store By Hoodlums
- National News21 hours ago
Fashola Discovers Hidden Camera At Lekki Toll Gate
- Entertainment15 hours ago
#EndSARS: “I Swear On My Life, Our Fallen Soldiers Must Get Justice” – Rapper Falz (Video)
- National News15 hours ago
No State Hoarded COVID-19 Palliatives, NGF Insists