The apex pan-northern socio-political organization, Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, has expressed concern about the duration stipulated for the national conference proposed by President Goodluck Jonathan.
The Federal Government had last week Thursday, through the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius, released modalities for the organization of the proposed talks, with mixed reactions trailing the announcement that it would last for only three months.
The publicity secretary of ACF, Anthony Sani, who made the group’s position known weekend said, “Our only area of concern is that three months may not be enough for thorough and robust debates needed for progress, as espoused by the promoters.
“I think it is late in the day to say anything against or for the success of the conference at this time when the government is set to execute it. Though ACF has never believed that the solution to socio-economic challenges besetting the nation lies with convocation of national conference, as long as the promoters believe it is possible for the conference to further the cause of a united whole Nigeria, there should be no problem”.
On other areas of the conference which ACF had earlier opposed, Sani said the Forum was satisfied that the recommendations for representations based on ethnicity had been rejected.
“Yet, we pray that the nominees will be Nigeria’s first eleven who are endowed with public intelligence and patriotic courage needed for addressing of issues of real concern to real Nigerians in the conference”, he said.