Connect with us

Metro News

MOSOP Faults FG’s Claim On Clean-Up Of Ogoni Oil Spill

Published

on

Ogoniland_Oil-spill-300x187The Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People, MOSOP, has faulted a statement credited to the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency, NOSDRA, on the clean-up of oil spill in Ogoni land, saying the implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme, UNEP, has not started in the oil rich areas.

NOSDRA had last week claimed that the Federal Government had commenced the clean-up of oil spillage in Ogoniland in line with the recommendations of UNEP.

But MOSOP President, Mr. Legborsi Pyagbara, in a statement on Tuesday said that there was no proof to show that the Hydrocarbon Pollution Restoration Programme had started the clean-up of the massive oil spills in the region.

Pyagbara, who described the statement by NOSDRA as the “resurrection of the strategy of deceit” employed by the Federal Government and a brazen falsehood, urged the people of Ogoni and members of the public to disregard the agency’s story of remediation in Ogoniland.

Decrying the timing of the falsehood, which he said was coming at a time when global pressure for the implementation of the UNEP report was mounting, the MOSOP president stated that NOSDRA’s claim was an indication of attempts to play down the global persuasion to clean up Ogoniland instead of embracing transparency in resolving the environmental problem.

He said, “MOSOP condemns the resurrection of the strategy of deceit by the Nigerian Government to delude, confuse and mislead unsuspecting Nigerians and the international community that it has begun implementing the UNEP report on Ogoniland.

“The Director-General of National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA), Mr. Peter Idabor, had on behalf of the Federal Government brazenly proclaimed the falsehood during an interview with a news agency in Abuja last week.

“Many months ago, this same NOSDRA DG also made similar assertions to journalists. We wonder if NOSDRA is now the mouthpiece of HYPREP. We would like to reaffirm for the umpteenth time that there is no evidence on ground supporting the claim.

“The approach is therefore most irresponsible and unfortunate. MOSOP has thus called on the general public and friends of the Ogoni people to disregard the concocted report aimed at deceiving and beguiling them into believing that remediation and restoration of the degraded Ogoni environment by government have started”.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending