World news

Female Corper Detained After A Student She Flogged Died Days Later

corper-veiled_350

According to Crime Reports, the female corper disciplined about six students, among whom was one Esther Oyeleke, a 14-year-old girl in JSS1. The corper reportedly gave the six students two strokes of cane each on January 24 for playing during teaching period and for not responding when she asked their colleagues to call them.
Surprisingly, the parents of the girl brought her back to the school on January 27 and said the hand on which she was beaten was swollen. With the belief that two strokes of cane could not cause such an injury, the parents were advised to take the girl to the hospital for medical treatment.

From a swollen hand, the girl’s condition deteriorated so much that by January 30, her entire body became swollen, according to information gathered by Crime Reports, and it was then she was taken to one Osoko Maternity Hospital where she was confirmed dead.

Her death reportedly led to a mini protest as the girl’s relations went to the school to disrupt academic activities. When the case was reported at Moniya Division, it was immediately transferred to the State CID for investigations.

In an interview with Crime Reports, the youth corps member, an indigene of a town in Oke Ogun area of Oyo State and a 2012 graduate of a polytechnic, said she believed she was not responsible for the girl’s death and should not be made to suffer unjustly. According to the Office Technology and Management graduate:

“I am one of the corpers deployed to Akingbile Oluana Memorial School, Moniya. I was teaching JSS1 students Basic Science.

On January 24, the students went to play outside the class and I told some of their colleagues to go and call them so that I could mark the attendance for the day. I could not speak loud then because I lost my voice. Some of them responded to my call while others did not. Because of this, I gave the disobedient ones two strokes of cane each on their palms in the classroom.

On January 27, one of them, a female, was brought to the school and I was told that her hand was swollen. I said it could not be because of the caning, as there was even no mark on her palm. As her teacher, I asked her colleagues whether they knew her residence so that I could go and greet her but they said they did not.

On January 30, the principal called me and said that she learnt that the entire body of the girl was swollen. Her family was said to have brought some people who disrupted the activities of the school. The principal said she enquired whether she had been taken to the hospital but the family members replied in the negative. She asked that she should be taken to the hospital.

I was at a meeting of youth corps members when I was called that we should go and pay the girl a visit in the hospital. By the time we got to the hospital, one of the teachers came to me and said she learnt that the student was dead.

On January 1, I went to our coordinator at the local government council before going to the state council of the NYSC to report what happened. I was brought to the State CID by the coordinators and I have been in detention since then.

I am surprised because she was not the only that I gave two strokes of cane. What I know is that whatever is hidden from man is clear before God Almighty. I believe that it was not the strokes of cane that caused the girl’s death. I know I have done nothing wrong and it would not be good to make an innocent person suffer unjustly.”

The police spokesperson in Oyo State, Olabisi Okuwobi-Ilobanafor confirmed the story, when contacted, stating that detectives were still investigating the story. She said that the corpse of the deceased girl had been deposited at the State Hospital, Adeoyo, Ibadan for autopsy.

1. BASH

February 10, 2014 at 10:34 am

I’ll say the corper should be released,if she’s responsible,only God can arrest her

2. Ignis

February 10, 2014 at 10:46 am

What has brought criminal charge here? A teacher beat a girl for refusing to honour a lesson. Is it a crime?
    One thing I know is that event will vindicate the corper if the matter was as stated here. May the deceased soul RIP and for the family may God give them the fortitude to bear the loss

3. Dare

February 10, 2014 at 10:58 am

What is crime in caning a student just 2 @ hand. May her soul rest in peace nd grant d parent fortitude to bear d lose.

4. iferi inyang.

February 10, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Is it only canes that are used for correcting students?,what if that particular student is probably allergic to canning?,or what if all life,she has never been flogged even by her parents. May her soul rest in peace as We await the result of the autopsy.

5. antonia

February 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm

She’s a demonic student. She will nt rest in peace since she want to put oda pple in trouble. What is
    2 strokes of d cane to a jss1 student.she’s a wicked demonic soul nd will nt find peace.

6. Jimmy

February 10, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I don’t believe 2 strokes of cain can kill a 14 yrs old student. Some of these demonic children, when they want to die, they will just look for an excuse to perpetrate their evil plan. May God vindicate you corper. And I pray God to grant the family of the deceased fortitude to bear the loss.

7. Bash Ola

February 10, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Truth as been lost ever b4 i was… Never relie on any1 cos, NYSC shld b re-define as it as lost her pride. Y NYSC state coordinator n board will jst abandon d corper in Police hand wtout getting her bail, is she not under them, they must b a wicked set of pple, n they shld remember dt they also had children lik this corper, i pray, God shld vindicate this corper n reward NYSC board’s head/coordinator n pple concern according to wht they did to this corper cos of two canning. Better we scrap d NYSC itself as it has even lost its pride

8. juliet

February 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

That student is evil. Why is dat she is the only one dat die. The coper shuold believed God for justice she will be free GOD will disagrce the evil one.

9. mr hart

February 10, 2014 at 11:04 pm

When I served in akwaibom last year,I flogged students well cos of their stubborness and yet I was loved cos I made sure my students get d best in class. Jst 2 strokes of cane, its funny. Una beta release dat copa b4 god punish una, see them they wan chop her allowee. Blood suckers

10. joenna

February 10, 2014 at 11:20 pm

oseburuwa chewekwa umu ya!her case is just a child of circumstance that drinks water and have a hang of it on the teeth; please we corp members and youths are on our kneels begging the people in charge to do some thing on time and bring the poor girl out from that solitary. For I wonder why parents of such Abiku will get from making trouble of such a matter,knowing fully well that the child was evil incarnate and will rot in hell

11. Joe

February 11, 2014 at 8:15 am

The police should carry out outopsy report to determine the actual cause of the girl,s death.For them not to punish an innocent youth corper

World news

US Election: Trump Claims Victory Hours After Saying Biden Won

US Election: Trump Claims Victory Hours After Saying Biden Won

Donald Trump

The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has declared himself the winner of the US Election 2020.

President Trump declared himself the winner of the US election in a tweet on Monday morning, November 16 by simply tweeting: “I won the election.”

Also Read: US election: Trump says Biden won but again refuses to concede

This came hours after he tweeted that his opponent Joe Biden “won because the election was rigged.”

The latest vote tallies project Democratic candidate, Biden a clear winner in the state-by-state Electoral College that decides the presidency, with 306 votes against Trump’s 232.

However, President Trump has remained defiant, continuously claiming he won the election free and fair.

US election: Trump claims victory hours after saying Biden won

World news

Former Ghana President, Jerry Rawlings Is Dead

Former Ghana President, Jerry Rawlings Is Dead

Jerry Rawlings

Jerry Rawlings, a former Ghanaian president has reportedly died from suspected COVID-19 complications.

The former Ghanaian leader died at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra, capital of Ghana on Thursday morning.

Rawlings led the country first as a military ruler and then as a democratically elected president between 1981 and 2001.

Also Read: FG Owes 3,504 Contractors, Fashola Tells National Assembly

Rawlings initially rose to power in Ghana as a flight lieutenant in the Ghana Air Force, following a coup détat in 1979.

After initially handing power over to a civilian government, he took control again in December 1981 as Head of State.

He was re-elected in 1996 for four more years.

Rawlings left office in 2000 after exhausting Ghana’s constitutional term-limit of eight years for Presidents.

World news

US Election Is Far From Over — Trump

US Election Is Far From Over — Trump

Donald Trump

U.S. President Donald Trump has refused to concede after his Democratic challenger, Joe Biden, secured the required number of electoral college votes to win the presidential race.

Shortly after Biden was projected winner, Trump in a defiant statement expressed that the election was “far from over” and criticised Biden for “rushing to falsely pose as the winner.”

“Biden has not been certified as the winner of any states, let alone any of the highly contested states headed for mandatory recounts, or states where our campaign has valid and legitimate legal challenges that could determine the ultimate victor.

Also Read: Joe Biden Defeats Trump To Win US Presidential Election

“Legal votes decide who is president, not the news media.

“Beginning Monday, our campaign will start prosecuting our case in court to ensure election laws are fully upheld and the rightful winner is seated.

“The American people are entitled to an honest election, that means counting all legal ballots, and not counting any illegal ballots,” Trump said.