Connect with us

News Feed

Emeka Ike Evicted from rented duplex over failure to pay N8.5 million rent

Published

on

Emeka-Ike-and-wife-Nollywood actor, Emeka Ike who has been thrown out of his rented apartment in Magodo GRA, Ikeja, Lagos, over his inability to pay an accumulated three year rent of N8.5 million.

The apartment, a twin duplex located at 1, Raji Oladimeji Street, Magodo GRA, was until his ejection, used by Emeka to run his business.

Emeka had in 2007 diversified by establishing a secondary school named St Nicholas College and decided to hire the premises on a five-year lease agreement from an 87-year-old retiree, Chief Samuel Agboola Akintan at the rate of N2 million per annum for the first two years and N3 million annually for the remaining three years, bringing the total rent of five years to N13 million.

 

Saturday Sun gathered that Emeka was able to get his landlord accept a deposit of N2 million with a promise to pay the rest later. Trouble, however, started when a year after moving in, the popular actor began to default and at a point issued a dud cheque of N1.5 million.

To force Emeka to pay his money and eject him from the property, Chief Akintan through his company, Samak Investments Ltd, had to drag the actor to the Ikeja Magistrate court.Without much delay, the court had on November 22, last year ordered the actor to vacate the premises but his refusal to heed the order led the court Sheriff to carry out  execution of the judgment on January 24 this year when his property was thrown out.

Speaking to Saturday Sun, the octogenarian chairman of Samak Investment Ltd, Chief Akintan wondered why the actor chose to be a pain in his neck

He said:

“I never knew this gentleman from Adam. He just came to my house with his wife and I was worried about who he was and my children came to me, saying, Emeka Ike, we know him daddy; he is a nice gentleman. That is how I fell into his hands.”

“When I wanted to take the matter to court, Emeka wrote a letter on February 15, 2012, pleading that I’m his father and that I should halt any court process against him. Even this N2.5 million was paid in 2011, a year to the expiration of the five- year lease. After that, he issued a N1.5 million Zenith bank, Eric Moore branch cheque in my name, dated May 20, 2012, which bounced.“Some people advised me to take him to Special Fraud Unit (SFU) of the Nigeria police; I refused because this boy is a young boy like my son, why would I do that to him; that he should leave my property.”

“After the cheque bounced, my lawyer called him over the phone, he started abusing me, threatening to deal with the lawyer and me. I never looked at what he was owing me in the past but should pay this N1.5 million. If I were to calculate his arrears, he has to pay far more but I am just satisfied  with this N1.5 million.”

He said the recommendation from his children made him enter into the lease agreement of five years which was to expire in 2012. According to him,

“he was supposed to pay for the first two years N2 million each per annum and the subsequent three years N3 million per annum. The total rent for that period of five years should be N13 million. He paid N2 million for the first year and never paid again until three years later when  he paid only N4.5 million and the balance should be N 8.5 million.”

“I can’t walk, so the two times I went there, I was carried like a baby to the court and Emeka didn’t come, but my lawyer went there three times. The magistrate at Igbosere wrote back to the one at Ikeja to go ahead with the matter since Emeka didn’t come.

“We went back to the first court and after several adjournments, neither Emeka nor his lawyer put up appearance and we were asked to give our evidence and we did, thereafter, the judgment was delivered.

“To give Emeka another opportunity, we got judgment in November 22, but the magistrate in her wisdom said we should give him one month to enable him to get himself together and move out. We were supposed to take possession by December 20, 2013 but we didn’t until January 24, when the Commissioner of Police gave us three policemen led by an Assistant Superintendent of Police to follow the Court Sheriff to eject him. They ejected him and put his property outside.”

When Emeka heard of this unsavoury development, he was said to have gone to Magodo police station and reported that thugs invaded his property after which the police arrested the two guards the landlordhad stationed there.

“When in January I went to the premises, even the teachers complained that they had never seen him for many months and had not paid them salaries for nine months.

“While I was in Ondo, I got a phone call that Ekeka came to Lagos and went to Magodo police station and reported that thugs invaded his property. Police went there and arrested the guards and he put his own guards and locked the place.”

Sounding emotional, Chief Akintan said:

“I’m a sick man; diabetic for 37 years. I will be 87 by my next birthday and can’t walk. I live at the grace of doctors and what nature can allow me to have. I’m immobile. I had to come back to Lagos to start another process to dislodge him. When I spoke to the DPO, Magodo police station and tendered documents, he said, so, ‘Emeka came here to tell him lies.’

“We have filed a contempt of court against him. We have taken possession of the property and about renovating it.

He is going about telling people that the place was not completed when he moved in that he put over N200 million to build it. He has done a lot of damage to the property.  I sent my contractor to assess the damage; he told me that I needed between N10 million and N13 million for renovation.

“I have sympathy for Emeka, but unfortunately, he has no sympathy for himself. Emeka went to court to plead that the judgment should be set aside, that I received a kangaroojudgment; that the case should be retried. The court dismissed it, saying it was abuse of court process.

I don’t know what Emeka would do again. I have never seen a character like that before.

“His former landlord, Dr Shofoluwe was in the same position with me. He is looking forEmeka to pay N3.5 million rent arrears. He was ejected legally. This is the type of man coming to trouble me now and I don’t need cheap publicity.”

When Emeka Ike was contacted, he said

 “there is a position now, because I don’t want people who have not achieved anything in their lives to use unnecessary distractions to gain prominence. It is my money and investments and it is not a national crisis.

Maybe people who think I have a larger than life image are trying to use it to make a point and I want to handle it as legal as possible.”

He noted that there can be challenges in business, stressing that he is still in possession of the school.He added that only two entities can close down a school, either the government or the owner of the school stressing that none of that has happened.

“I’m still in possession of the school. It is only the government that has the right to shut down the school if it feels that I’m not capable and I, as the CEO, if I feel that I can’t do it again. Nobody can shut down the school and the case is in court. It should not be seen as a national crisis, I have my business in Abuja and I’m doing very well and right now I don’t like distraction,”

News Feed

#EndSARS: Ekiti state government declares 24-hour curfew

Published

on

Following the various attacks on #EndSARS protesters in the state, Governor Kayode Fayemi has imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state effective from 10pm on today, Tuesday, October 20.

In a statement released by the Secretary to the State Government, Biodun Oyebanji, the state government said the curfew became necessary following the state government’s observation of how the end SARS protest, which started as a peaceful protest against police brutality by youths in Ekiti State, has been hijacked by some hoodlums.

Read the statement below

1. The Government of Ekiti State has observed with growing concern how the ENDSARS protest, which started as a peaceful protest against police brutality by youths in Ekiti State, has been hijacked by some hoodlums.

2. The hoodlums have capitalised on the ENDSARS protest to rape, assault, rob and extort innocent citizens across the State. These are in addition to the wanton destruction of properties, particularly private properties.

3. Government is concerned that if this state of affairs is allowed to continue unabated, it will lead to a breakdown of law and order thereby threatening the wellbeing of the people of Ekiti State.

4. For the purpose of clarity Government continues to show understanding and responsiveness to the demands of the legitimate protesters.

5. On 16th October 2020, Dr. John Kayode Fayemi, Governor, Ekiti State met with the protesters in person. While identifying with the legitimacy of their protests, he assured them that the State Government will immediately put measures in place to respond to all their demands.

6. Government has since then constituted a Human Rights Investigation Panel to review all cases of abuse by Officers of the disbanded SARS. In addition, Government has enabled a Victims Compensation Fund to facilitate speedy remedial measures for victims of such abuse.

7. Furthermore, several officials of Government have engaged the protesters at multiple fora and platforms including the social media in order to ensure that concerns of protesters are properly identified and responded to in a prompt and efficient manner with necessary feedback.

8. Government had also at various times drawn the attention of the protesters to the troubling hijack of the protests by individuals whose only interest is to inflict violence on the people of the state.

9. In the past 48 hours there have been incidents of gang-rape, robberies, physical assaults on innocent people, looting and burning of a police station. These acts of brigandage are not in consonance with the legitimate aspirations of the protesters. It cannot be logical to seek to remedy impunity with impunity.

10. Government therefore cannot afford to watch a deliberate enthronement of anarchy by some bad elements who have hijacked the protest for some clandestine reasons.

11. Consequently, the Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi, hereby imposes a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State starting from 10.00 pm tonight, Tuesday, October, 20, 2020.

12. Only essential workers and service providers with valid means of identifications are allowed to move around during the period of the curfew.

13. Any person found on the street that does not belong to this category, would be promptly arrested and prosecuted according to the laws of Ekiti State.

14. We seek the understanding of the good people of Ekiti State as we continue to take deliberate steps towards ensuring that peace and normalcy return to our state.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Davido speaks on the events of the past 48 hours

Published

on

Davido speaks on the events of the past 48 hours

Nigerian superstar, Davido has said criminals are responsible for the attack on two Correctional Centres in Benin City, Edo State.

Davido made the claim while absolving End SARS protesters of involvement in the attacks.

The singer pointed out that no amount of mischief would stop the protest against police brutality and bad governance.

Davido made the remark while condemning the attack on two Correctional Centres in Benin City, Edo State.

The hoodlums had attacked the facilities and freed some inmates.

Reacting, the singer in a series of tweets wrote: “After seeing all that’s gone on today I just want to say that from the beginning we have preached that the protest must remain peaceful and Law Abiding and as far as I know we have kept to that! And we will continue to keep to that so the narrative can NOT be switched up on us!

“The people they claim broke into prisons to free convicted criminals, burn police stations to steal weapons, damage police, government, and private vehicles are Criminals and everybody must condemn these acts. They are not part of our movement !

“#EndSars is a peaceful and law abiding protest that is going somewhere great! And no mischief can scatter it!”

Continue Reading

National News

Address Nigerians over #EndSARS protests – Senate urges Buhari

Published

on

Address Nigerians over #EndSARS protests – Senate urges Buhari

The Nigerian Senate has called on President Buhari to urgently address the nation so as to douse the tension in the country.

This comes as hoodlums continue to carry out various attacks on #EndSARS protesters and others in some parts of the country.

The Senators made the call for President Buhari to speak to the Nation after a motion was moved by Senator Biodun Olujimi and co-sponsored by all Senators on the ongoing nationwide protests believed to have been hijacked by hoodlums.

Part of the resolution of the Senators after deliberation include:

-Urge all tiers of government to put in place and sustain policies of social economic reforms that raise the standard of lives of our people;

-Call upon the Police to operate strictly in accordance with the rules of engagement appropriate in a democratic environment;

-Urge the Inspector General of Police to ensure a holistic comprehensive reforms of the police to increase the overall welfare including training and medical insurance of all members of the Nigeria Police Force

-Appeal to all Nigerians to resort to use of legal institutions to resolve disputes and conflicts;

-Urge the Nigerian youths and the Nigerian citizens to approach the National Assembly Committees Constitution and Reforms in order to secure far-reaching holistic amendments that are vital to the restructuring of our federation

-Urge the Federal Government to faithfully and comprehensively implement all the five demands of the #EndSARS movement and protesters with necessary timelines to rekindle confidence in government

-Appeal to #EndSARS movement and protesters to kindly in the interest of everyone stop their actions and embrace genuine dialogue; 7. Urge Mr. President to address the nation as soon as possible on these issues.

-Police should make it a duty to accompany protesters and should be involved in protecting genuine protesters.

Continue Reading

Trending