Connect with us

Politics

Sen. Ndume Cautions Politicians Against ‘Full-Blown’ 2015 Campaigns Now

Published

on

Senator NdumeSen. Ali Ndume, representing Southern Borno at the National Assembly, on Sunday cautioned Nigerian politicians against initiating full blown campaigns now for the 2015 general elections.

Ndume gave the advice while addressing newsmen in Maiduguri.

He said rather than engage in full blown campaigns, political office holders should preoccupy their minds with delivering their last campaign promises.

“It is sad that politicians are already making noise about 2015, when we have just entered 2014.

“It is really unthinkable for politicians to be making huge noise about 2015 now because it is a great distraction”, Ndume said.

He expressed shock at last month’s clash between supporters of two prominent Borno politicians during the burial of late Emir of Shani, Alhaji Modu Mailafiya in Shani, headquarters of Shani Local Government Area of the state.

“I was personally touched by the sad incident at the burial of the late emir in Shani.

“How can politicians be fighting in the open for a seat, when we were supposed to be mourning the late emir”, Ndume said.

He reminded politicians that INEC had repeatedly said that it was not yet time for campaigns.

“How can politicians start dancing when the music is not yet on; INEC has told us that the time has not reached for political campaigns”, he said.

Ndume also allayed fears of any crisis in the National Assembly following the recent defection of some PDP members to the APC.

“I do not see any chance of rancour in the National Assembly especially in the House of Representatives due to the defection of 37 PDP members to the APC.

“Although the PDP has become a minority in the house, it does not necessarily mean that the leadership must be changed at all costs”, he said.

“There is nothing preventing a member from a minority party from being a leader in the house.

“It is only for political convenience that we always allow a majority party to produce the house leadership”, he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that supporters of the Borno Deputy Governor, Alhaji Zannah Mustapha and those of the Commissioner of Religious Affairs, Alhaji Mamman Durkuwa had fought at the burial of the late emir.

Durkuwa is believed to be eyeing Mustapha’s seat in the 2015 gubernatorial election. (NAN)

Politics

#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Published

on

Gov Yahaya Bello
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Governor Bello

The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello has declared his intention to lead the #EndSARS protest against police brutality ongoing nationwide.

He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.

Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.

Also Read: Fayemi Names Members Of Judicial Panel On Human Rights Violations By Police

He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.

The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.

He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.

https://twitter.com/jeffreyetuss/status/1318273749565739011?s=19

Continue Reading

Politics

#EndSARS: Protesters Rain Curses On Me: Femi Adesina

Published

on

Why Buhari has travelled to the UK again - Femi Adesina
#EndSARS: Protesters Rain Curses On Me – Buhari’s Aide, Adesina

Femi Adesina

Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina has revealed that he has been receiving curses from Nigerians through phone calls and text messages over a false report that he advised his principal to shun protesters.

Adesina stated in an article he wrote titled: “An Enemy of the People’ published on Thursday evening.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Nigerians Recount Their Horrible Ordeals In The Hands Of Thugs In Police Uniform

Adesina denied that he advised President Buhari for whatever reasons on the End SARS protesters, but said an online platform falsely accused him that he told Buhari to “ignore the protests and not give in to the demands of ‘Twitter warriors’.

He explained that his telephone numbers were posted on social media, thereby, making people reach out to him with curses.

Continue Reading

Politics

Sanwo-Olu Sends Condolence Message To Seyi Makinde Over Mother’s Death

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde confirms the killing of #EndSARS protester, Jimoh Isiaka in Ogbomosho, Oyo state
Sanwo-Olu Sends Condolence Message To Seyi Makinde Over Mother's Death

Seyi Makinde

Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has sent a condolence message to Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde over the passing away of his mother.

Recall that InformationNigeria earlier reported that Governor Makinde of Oyo State on Thursday lost his mother, Chief Abigail Makinde.

The governor’s mother passed on at age 81.

Also Read: Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother

Reacting to the news, Sanwo-Olu prayed for the dead and consoled the bereaved via his official Twitter handle on Thursday. He wrote:

“I commiserate with Governor @seyiamakinde on the passing to eternal glory of his dear mother, Mrs Abigail Makinde.

While I extend my condolences to the Makinde family, I pray that God grants them the grace and courage to bear the loss. May mama’s soul rest eternally.”

Continue Reading

Trending