Connect with us

Metro News

National Confab: Nigeria’s Not Made Up Of Ethnic Nationalities, Says Balarabe Musa

Published

on

DR. FEMI OKUROUNMU PRESENTING THE REPORT OF THE PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL DIALOGUE TO PRESIDENT GOODLUCK JONATHAN

DR. FEMI OKUROUNMU PRESENTING THE REPORT OF THE PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL DIALOGUE TO PRESIDENT GOODLUCK JONATHAN

Second Republic governor of Kaduna State, Alhaji Balarabe Musa has said that the national dialogue proposed by President Goodluck Jonathan should be for Nigerians and not for ethnic nationalities.

Speaking with in an interview, Musa, who has been an advocate of national dialogue, said contrary to the opinion of some groups, Nigeria is made up of citizens and not ethnic nationalities.

He said, “What we have to accept as a fact is that the vast majority of Nigerians, in spite of the negative state of the nation, want Nigeria to remain united. They do not want the disintegration of Nigeria; they don’t even want confederation. We want a united Nigeria and power should be shared in a way that encourages unity and development.

“Some people are saying the national conference should be a conference of ethnic nationalities. They believe Nigeria is made up of ethnic nationalities, but that is wrong. Nigeria is not made up of ethnic nationalities. It is made up of citizens”.

On the existing controversy that a member of the Presidential Advisory Committee on National Conference, Mr. Solomon Asemota, SAN, wrote a minority report, the elder statesman said any report outside the report submitted to the President by the Femi Okurounmu-led committee, was irrelevant.

“The report of anybody now is irrelevant because the only report, which is relevant, is the report of the presidential committee. The committee was mandated to recommend a modality for conducting the national conference. So far, Nigerians are not interested in what the committee says but they are interested in what the President says, because it is the President’s committee”, he said.

Musa said from his stand point, the plan for the national conference was still on course and should not be tampered with.

Reacting to the plan by the Ethnic Nationalities Movement and The Patriots to convoke a parallel conference on ethnic nationalities to foreshadow the national conference, Musa argued that the move could not be faulted as it was part of the democratic process which allows for all groups make their inputs.

He said, “We must respect fundamental human rights. The minority, who want the national conference to be based on ethnic nationalities, are saying they want to hold their own conference on ethnic nationalities, before the national conference. That is alright, they should be allowed to do so. You can argue for or against, but you can’t deny them the right to do that. In democracy, they say the majority has its way, but the minority has its say”.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. stephen inyangetuk

    January 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

    Such Comment Can only Emanate from An Expired Northern Politician who is About 80years old. Nigeria first and Foremost Comprise of Ethnic Nationalities whose descendants have choose to be known and Addressed as Nigerians. It bits one’s imagination the logic Behind Musa Balarabe position.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending