Connect with us

Metro News

FG To Phase Out Sachet Water

Published

on

The Federal Ministry of Environment has developed a draft action plan for the phasing out of light weight non-biodegradable plastics in the country, a top official of the ministry, said, yesterday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, in Abuja, said that the draft action plan had already been adopted by stakeholders in the sector.

He recalled that the ministry, in collaboration with the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation, UNIDO, had in December 2013, organised a workshop to sensitise Nigerians on the process.

“What we intend to do now is to follow the implementation of the action plan since the awareness has already started; the next step is to source funds from UNIDO to implement the plan.

“Once we have funds, we will continue with other activities in the process of phasing out heavy non-biodegradable plastics.”

The official said it was not possible to completely phase out non-biodegradable plastics because of its importance in the society.

He cited the example of a plastic chair, which is a non-biodegradable component, to buttress his point.
He said that the ministry would start with the phasing out of light weight non-degradable plastics such as table water sachets and polythene bags.

“Those countries that have succeeded in phasing out the substance started with placing a ban on the light weight ones.

“Countries like China and South Africa have placed outright ban on light weight plastic bags while some other countries have placed tax levies on the manufacture, retailer and buyers of light weight bags.

“We are going to be gradual in the phasing out process as well, so that we will not cause havoc to the livelihood of people working in the industry.

“We will also use alternative sources that are economically feasible and environment-friendly to replace the non-degradable products,” the official said.

He further said that the ministry would start the process of phasing out with a pilot project whereby manufacturers would be required to introduce a substance called “addictive” that would reduce the non-biodegradable component in their products.

Continue Reading
8 Comments

8 Comments

  1. sa

    January 30, 2014 at 9:54 am

    Dis is soo stupid. Dere are a lot of oda reasonabl ideas to introduce. Dis one will only make d common man to suffer.

  2. Destiny

    January 30, 2014 at 10:22 am

    These guys don’t even understand their own selves now. They make policies that always affect the common Nigerian, worsening his condition. Do they think Abuja and Lagos alone cover the entire Nigeria? Well, I don’t blame them. They don’t even have villages, otherwise they would always put the plight of the common man before their selfish interest.
    I don’t blame village witches for always pursuing them… Na them dey cause am!

  3. Ndem Okon

    January 30, 2014 at 4:29 pm

    Must we condemn evry govt policy? If u ppl condemning this phasing out of plastic know the havoc polythene bag does to our lives and environment, whether as polythene bag, satchet water bag or whatever, u would aplaud fed govt instead. The govt says there’ll be alternative yet u r criticising. It is not evrytime we must display our ignorance in public

  4. wale

    January 30, 2014 at 7:02 pm

    Why do we always put unnecessary burden & pains on d citizens of this country? Numerous problems on ground including lack of job opportunity is not yet tackled, yet we are looking for what is not lost. Sincerely, we are bargaining for more than what we can shew. By the way, must we implement programs being carrried out in other countries because we simply want to imitate. Pls let d sleeping dog lie

  5. Calix

    January 30, 2014 at 9:40 pm

    Good opportunity for APC, try it and see us vote you out of office come 2015 . My advice to you is before you do it provide potable water for all Nigeria because the only potable water Nigerians have now is sachet water as govt has fail to provide potable water for Nigerians or you get recycling machine to manage the wast.

  6. Bestman

    January 31, 2014 at 9:05 am

    This is always interesting dealling the poor see plate number issue.their nothing that benefit the poor in this govt

  7. ezejike 1 of igbo land

    January 31, 2014 at 8:43 pm

    Pure water sachet is not our main problem in dis country

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Femi Otedola Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting

Published

on

Femi Otedola Finally Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting
Femi Otedola

Femi Otedola

Nigerian businessman, Femi Otedola has finally reacted to the shooting that took place at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos on Tuesday.

Information Nigeria recalls men dressed in military wears opened fire on unarmed #EndSARS protesters, who convened at the area.

Otedola took to his Instagram page on Sunday to commiserate with the families of those who lost their lives in the unfortunate incident.

Sharing a photo of the Nigerian flag, he wrote;

“The horrors that have been unfolding in our country have left me filled with sadness. I deeply commiserate with those who have lost their loved ones and as a father, I share the sentiment of my three daughters who protested in Lagos and London. As a young boy of 16, I participated in the ‘Ali Must Go Protest’ of 1978, so I understand the determination of our youths who rightly want our country to be better. We must all do our part to make Nigeria great! I will continue to do my own quota in providing for those who are most in need of support in our country in these tough times .…F.Ote💲”

Read Also: Femi Otedola Spotted Dancing With His Children (Video)

See his post below:

Otedola’s post

Otedola’s post

Continue Reading

Metro News

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” – Brother Claims

Published

on

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” - Brother Claims
Oke

Oke

Information Nigeria recalls a graphics designer identified as Oke, was killed hours after tweeting “Nigeria will not kill me” on Wednesday.

It was reported that the young man had passed away after he was hit by a stray bullet.

The deceased’s younger brother, Daniel has come out to clear the air regarding the circumstances leading to his death.

Daniel revealed his brother was stabbed on the neck by thugs who infiltrated and ransacked their home.

In his words;

Good day, My name is Obi-Enadhuze Daniel younger brother of the now deceased Okechukwu Obi-Enadhuze @O_Okee . I, my brother and mother lived at makinde police barracks, mafoluku, Oshodi, Lagos State.

Today at about 11 o’clock in the morning the police station at makinde was attacked by thugs who wanted to destroy the station, I my mom and brother were holed up in our house.

 The attack went on for hours before the thugs eventually breached the police and proceeded to set the station on fire, after accomplishing this they set their sights to the barracks and began the assault, they proceeded to destroy every car in the barracks, my mom’s 2 cars where destroyed and set on fire and then they infiltrated our house by breaking the door they then proceeded to ransack the house and carted away with everything we own. 

 my brother on trying to get them to take everything but spare us was pushed to my mom’s room and stabbed on the neck, the attacker then proceeded to attack me but missed my neck but got my chin instead, after this my mom and I carried my brothers body to the entrance of the station soliciting for help from the thugs still ravaging the barracks, we were finally able to put him in a wheelbarrow and took him to a hospital where he was rejected because “he was already dead” unfazed we moved him to another hospital where he met the same treatment this was where he bled his last drops of blood and died, his body has now been moved to a morgue

we have lost every single thing we own, as our house was completely ransacked and set on fire the only thing left is my brothers phone and at about 8 o’clock this evening the barracks was still on fire but Okechukwu has paid with the ultimate price

I and my mother are homeless with nothing now but we’re safe for now, we thank everyone that has been able to reach out to us, and were able to share consoling words with us in these trying times, God bless you

While we were holed up in the house the three of us said these words together and we say it again ” THREE OF US ARE HERE, THREE OF US ARE TOGETHER, THREE OF US ARE SAFE”

Let it be known that my brother @O_Okee  was NOT killed by a police bullet but died a hero protecting my mother and I.

If you see this please retweet, let the world know how Okechukwu died. He was NOT killed by a police bullet but thugs in his home!”

Read Also: RIP Oke: Barely 3hours After Tweeting “Nigeria Will Not End Me” #EndSARS Protester Dies From Gunshot

See his post below:

Continue Reading

Metro News

Youths Burn Down Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Published

on

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)Lagos youths have set the family house of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on fire.

This was after the Governor said that no nobody was killed during the shooting by soldiers at Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Sanwo-Olu had debunked claims that the soldiers opened fire and killed some peaceful protesters.

Recall that men of the Nigerian Army reportedly opened fire on protesters following the declaration of 24 hours curfew by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwolu.

Bullets fired by security operatives hit some persons and at least two persons have been confirmed killed by the police and many injured

Voices in viral footage blamed the shootings on soldiers.

However, the angry youth attacked several important places such as Nigeria Port Authority, TVC News, and the family house of the Governor where his mother resides.

Continue Reading

Trending