Connect with us

Metro News

Borno Youths Vows To Target Politicians And Their Thugs

Published

on

civilian_jtf

The Borno Youth Vigilante Association, popularly known as Civilian JTF, Thursay said the group was ready to go after political thugs and their sponsors in the same way they had been going after the Boko Haram sect, if they do not desist from breaching the peace in the state.

Maiduguri has in the last few days dealt with political violence, which resulted in the two major actors, the incumbent governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, and his predecessor, Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, being pelted with stones by suspected political thugs loyal to both politicians.

After the attack on the governors, a massive bomb was detonated on Tuesday in the centre of the town by a suicide bomber leading to the death of 43 persons with many others injured.

In a reaction to the recent spate of violence, the Civilian JTF yesterday called on political parties in the state to call their youth wings or thugs to order, insisting that they would not tolerate any person or group who wants to truncate the emerging peace being enjoyed in the state.

The group, which issued this warning at a press briefing in Maiduguri, equally called on the authorities to lift the curfew presently imposed on the state, so that their members could patrol the streets for 24 hours.

Mr. Jibrin Gunda, the legal adviser of the association who spoke on behalf of the vigilante group, said: “We appeal to political parties in the state to call their youth wings or thugs to order, and desist from taking the law into their hands. We will not condone any segment of the society which wants to take the law into their hands.

“Our youths should remember that this group of politicians do not care about our welfare or peaceful co-existence.”

He also called on the people of Maiduguri and its environs to continue to support the vigilante group in the task of assisting security agencies in protecting lives and property.

The legal adviser said the recent bomb blast, which breached the peace being enjoyed in the state, would not deter the youths from carrying out their responsibilities.

He maintained that the Civilian JTF was more determined and focused to continue to discharge its responsibilities even if it means laying down their lives for the total restoration of peace in the state.

Metro News

Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

Published

on

Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

Olufon of Ifon

Oba Adegoke Adeusi, the Olufon of Ifon under Ose Local Government Area Ondo State, has been murdered by unknown gunmen suspected to be bandits.

Oba Adeusi was reportedly killed on Thursday evening at a spot around the Elegbeka axis of the town.

According to reports, the monarch was initially kidnapped before he was eventually killed.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Raises Alarm As Bandits Allegedly Kidnap Scores On Kaduna-Abuja Road

The monarch reportedly died at the Federal Medical Centre in Owo, as a result of gunshots he sustained during the attack.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Tee Leo-Ikoro, confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

Describing the event as an unfortunate one, the Police spokesman in the state also revealed that two people in the monarch’s convoy were kidnapped.

Continue Reading

Metro News

No Pardon For Rapists, Says Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

No Pardon For Rapists, Says Sanwo-Olu

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has expressed that there is no pardon for people indicted in reported cases of rape and gender-based violence.

The governor made this remark on Thursday when he received a 54-page compendium on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence compiled by the Stakeholders’ Committee set up by this wife, Dr. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu.

The Committee was set up to give recommendations on how the fight against sexual and gender-based violence can be won.

Speaking at the occasion, Sanwo-Olu, restated his commitment to protecting the vulnerable demographics and getting justice for victims violated.

Also Read: Don’t Allow Conspiracy Theorists Undermine Lagos Security, Sanwo-Olu Tells Residents

The governor said, “I am delighted by the work done by the Stakeholders’ Committee to bring attention to the problems facing voiceless adults and children in our society. Through your efforts, vulnerable people are building the courage to speak out on offences of sexual violence and heal their wounds.

“We will bring people, who have been perpetrating these crimes, knowingly or unknowingly, to book. We will ensure they never walk freely without the full wrath of the law brought upon them. It is part of our responsibility to ensure that the vulnerable members of our society have a voice and have access to where they can get justice when their rights are violated.”

Continue Reading

Metro News

Vendor’s Widow Disowns Family Over N500m Lawsuit Against Gbajabiamila

Published

on

Vendor’s Widow Disowns Family Over N500m Lawsuit Against Gbajabiamila

Femi Gbajabiamila

Josephine Okereke, wife of the Abuja-based vendor killed by a security aide of Femi Gbajabiamila, speaker of the house of representatives, has rejected the family’s demand of N500 million compensation.

Okereke while speaking to newsmen on Thursday stated that what she wants is justice for her late husband, and not the compensation being sought by his family.

Recall that some days ago, Ifeanyi, her husband, was shot by Abdullahi Hassan, a Department of State Services (DSS) operative attached to the speaker.

Also Read: Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action

Days after the Speaker promised to ensure justice, the family of the slain vendor wrote the speaker, demanding a N500 million compensation.

Okereke, however, told journalists in Abuja that she was not privy to the N500 million compensation requested by the family.

“I was in my house when within 10 minutes my father-in-law came from Abia, he went out along with his other son and the next day I heard that my husband’s people are demanding N500 million as compensation,” she said.

“I was shocked and asked how will they be doing that and how will the speaker help the children again with such demand. All I want now is that the person that killed my husband to face justice.”

Continue Reading

Trending