Connect with us

Metro News

ASUU Appeals For FG, Governor’s Help Over Missing Professor Of Nuclear Physics

Published

on

Prof. Olomo

Prof. Olomo

Three months after Prof. James Bolarinwa Olomo of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, went missing, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has appealed to President Goodluck Jonathan, Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola, security agencies and other well-meaning Nigerians to use their good offices to search for the missing Professor of Nuclear and Medical Physics.

The Union which came from Osun State said this at the press conference held for the search of the Professor at the International Press Centre (IPC) in Lagos.

Speaking at the conference, the chairman of ASUU – OAU, Professor Adegbola Akinola said the Professor went to Eket in Akwa-Ibom on October 17th, 2013 by air, as a Radiation Safety Adviser (RSA) to an Oil and Gas Company whose name he did not disclose to them, and lodged at Hotel Farlem where he got missing. All efforts to establish his whereabouts had since proven abortive.

He stressed that they have since reported the matter to the security agencies who are yet to come up with a solution and major hospitals in Eket had also been searched.

According to Akinola, when the alarm was raised by the professor’s secretary on October 21, 2013 that he was yet to come back from his trip and his phone was switched off, they went to the Hotel but the Manager/Attendants told them that they saw him last on October 20, 2013 as he dropped the key to his guest room without checking out and since then, he had not returned.

The Manager said the reason why they did not report the matter to the police when they didn’t see him return, was because they had witnessed similar cases in the past where their guest(s) would go out and return few days or weeks later to apologise.

Chairman of the search committee, Professor Olugbenga Jedege said the 64-year Professor was once missing, about 10 years ago, but noted that happened under a different circumstance, saying the present case was a shocking mystery.

He therefore appealed to anyone with useful information on his whereabouts to contact his colleagues at the OAU or members of his family.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending