Connect with us

Metro News

15 Million Farmers To Benefit From FG’s GES Scheme

Published

on

Minister for Agriculture, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina

Minister for Agriculture, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina

15 million farmers are being targeted to benefit from the Growth Enhancement Support (GES) Scheme of the federal government this year, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, has disclosed.

Explaining the ministry’s road map for the New Year, Adesina also said 400,000 farmers  as against 240,000 in 2013, would be empowered to engage in the dry season rice production.

The minister, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Media, Dr. Olukayode Oyeleye, disclosed that about 700,000 farmers had indicated interest in the dry season rice farming, but said provision was made for only 400,000.

He however stated that government might consider more farmers during the season.

Asked about the farmers’ challenges in redeeming inputs provided under the GES scheme, Adesina said the problem had been long surmounted.

“An off-line system through the use of paper voucher has been adopted to tackle the problem of poor GSM network, which had affected redemption of inputs by farmers in the past,” he said.

He noted that the scheme was designed to accommodate additional five million beneficiaries every year.

Adesina also said the initial reluctance of commercial banks to finance the GES had been addressed, as he said 14 commercial banks were involved towards the end of 2013.

The minister added that large scale millers, after series of meeting with the ministry, had been milling paddy rice produced by farmers at the end of the dry season farming period.

Continue Reading
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. Adeyinka 6258.

    January 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm

    Good news! if the local farmers can continously be empowered directly, food produce will soon be abundance of affordable food items in our markets as we had in the early 70s. Pls consider a publicised scheme for job seeking graduates who would want to make a living from modern mechanised farming.

  2. Adeyinka 6258.

    January 6, 2014 at 1:07 pm

    Good news! if the local farmers can continously be empowered directly, food produce will soon be in abundance, and affordable food items will once again flood our markets as we had in the early 70s. Pls consider a publicised scheme for job seeking graduates who would want to make a living from modern mechanised farming.

  3. Ade

    May 6, 2014 at 10:23 pm

    I am also a beneficiary. Its just that I could only get maize.

  4. NMADU NOEL

    May 8, 2014 at 7:12 am

    PLS,HW DO I REGISTER FOR THE GES PROGRAMME. WHICH WEBSITE DO I LOG INTO

  5. CHINYERE

    September 26, 2014 at 7:06 pm

    pls any center that cannot give this out should not be included in this GES programme, example is that Center at the back of Millipath Filling Station, Lugbe Road, I went to that place on two consecutive times but at the end they told me that the programme is over that they can’t give out again and i believe the same thing happened to many people whom GES assign to that particular place. Pls if there is anything i can do to collect mine pls i don’t mind because am yet to collect and i have my code no. with me pls. Do not take the report of those people serious because they shared the whole thing to theirsleves. thank you as i wait for ur response.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

Published

on

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

#EndSARS protesters in Osun

The Governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola on Saturday, escaped an attack by thugs which happened while he was addressing #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo, the state capital.

Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Hold Enugu State Govt Responsible If Anything Happens To Us – Phyno, Kcee, Zoro

As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.

While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Lagos
#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Forms Panel Of Enquiry

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

In a bid to quell the #EndSARS protest which is spreading like a raging inferno across the country, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has set up a panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS.

This was announced in a statewide broadcast on Thursday.

The panel will be a 7-man panel which will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.

Also Read: BREAKING: EndSARS: Gov Sanwo-Olu reveals identities of policemen who harassed protesters

The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police), Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya aka Segalink (Human Rights Activist).

Others are Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center), a rep/member of the youth-led protest, and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.

There will be a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother
Seyi Makinde

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde

Abigail Makinde, the mother of the governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, is dead.

The Chief Press Secretary to Mr Makinde, Taiwo Adisa, however, told newsmen that the family will soon make an official statement on the death of the deceased.

He said: “Yes. The family will make an official statement.

“The family will soon make an official statement. In the next few minutes, the family will make an official statement, in few minutes.”

It was gathered that Mr Makinde lost his father, Olatunbosun Makinde, a few years ago.

It was learnt that Mrs Makinde died in the early hours of Thursday.

She died at the age of 81.

Continue Reading

Trending