Connect with us

Metro News

Presidency Finally Provides “Proof” Of Payment Of N200bn Into Designated CBN Account, Calls For End To ASUU Strike

Published

on

asuu-fg-meeting5The presidency on Wednesday for the umpteenth time pleaded with the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, to call off their five-month old strike just as it claimed that the sum of N200 billion requested by the union as a sign of faith that government is sincere in its commitment to revitalize the nation’s comatose universities, has been paid into an account with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

The Senior Special Assistant to President Goodluck Jonathan on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, said at a press briefing in Abuja that the account, a “revitalization of Universities Infrastructural Account,” was authorized by the office of the Accountant General of the Federation on November 13.

Stressing that there were now more than enough reasons for the nation’s striking university lecturers to return to the classroom, Okupe said, “I state categorically that I have personally seen the balance in the account as of today and confirm that it contains the requisite amount and disbursement will commence as soon as on-going administrative processes are sorted out”.

He also used the opportunity to reaffirm that the President and the administration have no credibility issues whatsoever.

“Mr. President has always honored his words and obligations to the Nigerian people as and at when due,” he said.

The presidential aide dismissed the four items mentioned by ASUU as preconditions for calling off the strike, stating that none of them “remain substantially pending or weighty enough to justify the continuation of the strike”, adding that “therefore, there are no legitimate reasons for the strike by University teachers to continue a day any longer”.

ASUU had given the following pre-conditions to the Federal Government:

•Commitment from the President that any review or reconsideration or renegotiation of the 2009 Agreement will not substantially affect the pact which is the cause of the ongoing strike;

•Immediate payment of all outstanding salary arrears and allowances of varsity teachers without victimization; and

•A written commitment from the President that the Federal Government will commit N225billion annually to the funding of universities for the next four years.

There is a fourth condition, which is said to be “personal” to ASUU, bordering on the need to be wary of gradual loss of public sympathy.

While appealing to the leadership of ASUU as well as other ‘patriotic’ members of the union to put all else aside and call of the strike in the interest of Nigerian students, who have been kept at home for 5 months without any form of ‘compensation’ whatsoever, Okupe said, “Having come this far, we believe it is time that we all come together once again as major stakeholders in the affairs of the country and the educational sector in particular to move on and begin to chart a new course for advancing the sector and improving the standard of our institutions for higher learning|.

He concluded that “There are no victor or vanquished in this protracted disagreement.”

Information Nigeria recalls that the Federal Government last week indicated it would sack the striking lecturers if they did not return to their classes yesterday (Wednesday) although it postponed the deadline to next week Monday, 9th December, ASUU ignored the threat, opting to continue their strike.

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Police Confirm Abduction Of Nasarawa APC Chairman

Published

on

Police Confirm Abduction Of Nasarawa APC Chairman

Police

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Nasarawa State, Philip Shekwor, has been kidnapped by unknown gunmen.

According to reports, Shekwor was abducted on Saturday night at his residence along Dunamis church, Bukan Sidi in Lafia.

Also Read: Gunmen Attack Police Station In Ibadan; Kill Police Corporal

Confirming the incident, Police Commissioner Bola Longe said the unidentified gunmen in large number stormed the residence of the APC chairman in Lafia around 11 pm and took him away to an unknown destination.

According to him, security agencies had reacted swiftly by deploying personnel to different forest locations to ensure the safe release of the APC chieftain.

Continue Reading

Trending