Connect with us

Politics

Missing N500bn: Again Diezani Shuns Senate Ad-Hoc C’ttee On SURE-P

Published

on

Alison-MaduekeThe Senate yesterday alleged that the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke “has something to hide” over her purported continued insistence not to honour invitations from its Ad-Hoc Committee on the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P).

Chairman of the committee and Deputy Senate Leader, Abdul Ningi (PDP, Bauchi), told reporters yesterday that Mrs. Alison-Madueke has allegedly turned down three invitations to appear before the panel to explain alleged discrepancies in the N834.331 billion received from the N32 deducted in the 25 billion litres of petrol sold between January 2012 and September 2013.

The committee disclosed that from its investigations, only N300 billion has so far been remitted to SURE-P.

The SURE-P was created by the Federal Government as a vehicle for the reinvestment of the petroleum subsidy funds that was removed in January 2012. Specifically, it was established to ameliorate the immediate impact of the removal of subsidy on petrol.

Speaking yesterday, Senator Ningi frowned at a situation where a government appointee would routinely shun invitations from the Senate.

At the resumed sitting of the committee on Tuesday, Senator Ningi noted that the minister’s appearance scheduled for 1pm, was re-scheduled till 2:17 pm, hoping that she would honour the invitation but she did not and neither did she send a representative or apologies.

But the committee chairman said that no matter what it takes, the minister must appear before the committee to explain how the accrued funds have been spent.

“This is exactly more than one and half hours after the scheduled time for the meeting. I thought we have waited patiently” Senator Ningi said.

“I think that the Ministry of Petroleum Resources is the custodian of the SURE-P and we feel that they have things to hide and we strongly believe that documentation that we have received from the ministry embarrasses us as a committee and it should embarrass the ministry as well because simple statistics and arithmetic is found all through their presentation.

“There are various contradictions in the statistics provided and when we first sat here, we said this programme has not been run transparently enough, for Nigerians to believe that this is the programme that comes out of fewer democratic dividends”.

Ningi disclosed that the matter had earlier been reported to Senate President David Mark, who promised to take up the matter with President Goodluck Jonathan.

“I, as the Chairman of this committee, cannot outrightly say that this is what will happen; neither can the committee say this is what would happen. We invited the minister severally to appear; she didn’t appear and neither did she send a representative. We took the matter to the leadership of the Senate and the leadership, in fact, the President of the Senate assured us that he would take this matter to the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, who in fact, hired the minister”, he said.

 

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Shehu Abubakar

    December 4, 2013 at 8:27 pm

    it has shown that the senate has no any value to the eyes of the executives, and explains that either the senate is not doing the job or the are comprimised

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Ondo Election: Jegede Files Petition Against Akeredolu’s Victory

Published

on

Ondo Election: Jegede Files Petition Against Akeredolu’s Victory
Ondo Election: Jegede Files Petition Against Akeredolu’s Victory

Eyitayo Jegede

Eyitayo Jegede, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the October 10, 2020, governorship election of Ondo State, has challenged the victory of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu in the exercise.

Jegede, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, filed a petition at the election petition tribunal sitting in Akure on Friday.

The PDP candidate has also joined the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the All Progressives Congress, and the deputy governor-elect, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, in the petition.

Also Read: Ondo Guber: INEC Presents Certificate Of Return To Akeredolu, Deputy

Jegede is challenging the election on four grounds including “That the election was marred by irregularities and pockets of violence and intimidation”.

He also faulted the emergence of Governor Akeredolu as the candidate of the APC during its governorship primary election held on the 20th of July 2020.

Continue Reading

Politics

AlphaBeta’s Collection Of $19m Monthly Revenue In Lagos Sacrilegious, Says Bode George

Published

on

Bode George
AlphaBeta’s Collection Of $19m Monthly Revenue In Lagos Sacrilegious, Says Bode George

Bode George

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic  Party (PDP) Chief Bode George has described the collection of internally generated revenue in Lagos state by a private firm called AlphaBeta, which earns around N7.5bn ($19 million) monthly as sacrilegious.

The former National Port Authority (NPA) called on the state government to block all forms of revenue leakages.

He made this known while speaking on Arise TV on Friday morning.

Also Read: BREAKING: IGP Replies Amnesty, Says Policemen Didn’t Shoot #EndSARS Protesters

“There are so many leakages in the Lagos State Government purse. Take this AlphaBeta; who owns this AlphaBeta? What is the essence of the AlphaBeta? Where else in the world would you have an Inland Revenue Service, who have their own staff who are supposed to go out and collect the fees, but you have an independent company to be supposedly collecting the internally generated revenue from our state?

“It grosses around N50bn (about $130m) a month and you know how much that company (AlphaBeta) is paid 15% of it, that’s N7.5bn in thirty days going to the company, that is a leakage, that is sacrilegious.”

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Published

on

Governor Ganduje
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Governor Ganduje

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has reinstated his Special Adviser on Social Media, Tanko Yakasai.

According to reports, the Kano State Governor who had earlier suspended his media aide for condemning President Muhammadu Buhari over #EndSARS protests reinstated the aide without many details.

Also Read: Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew

Yakasai on his Twitter account had accused Buhari of being insensitive to the plights of Nigerians during the #EndSARS protests across the nation.

The development saw Governor Ganduje suspend his aide who was commended by Nigerians for the courage.

Ganduje, however, has ordered the reinstatement of his aide two weeks after his suspension.

Continue Reading

Trending