Connect with us

News Feed

“Iyabo Obasanjo’s Letter Is A Forgery” – Obasanjo’s Family Members Claim

Published

on

A shocking letter purportedly written by Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, daughter of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, in which she mocked her father as a liar, an abuser and a hypocrite, is fake, family members, and aides to Mr. Obasanjo have revealed.

obj-4

In the 11-page letter, published by Vanguard newspaper Wednesday, Ms. Obasanjo-Bello denounced her father as a self-seeking man lacking in all key expectations of a father and a leader, but often appearing quick to accuse others of the same ills.

Mrs Obasanjo-Bello, a former senator, purportedly said her father confirmed to her his failed effort at securing a third term as president. She spoke of her father’s “stupidity and cruelty”, and deplored him for all the “many atrocities” he has been able to get away with.

“Nigerians were your enablers every step of the way. People ultimately get leaders that reflect them,” Ms. Obasanjo-Bello was quoted as saying by Vanguard.

She said the letter came in the spirit of open letters since Mr. Obasanjo had last week penned an acerbic piece to President Goodluck Jonathan. But she made it clear her writing was not in support of Mr. Jonathan, or the opposition All Progressive Congress, APC, but an “outpouring from my soul to God.”

But in multiple interviews early Wednesday, close family members of Mr. Obasanjo, who claimed to have spoken to the former President about the matter, and two of his close aides called the letter a forgery and vowed Ms. Iyabo-Bello would not write to her father that way. One family member said Mr. Obasanjo spoke with Iyabo only two days back and apparently both related as cordial as always.

“I can tell you that such letter never existed. I can tell you authoritatively that it only existed in the imagination of those who forged and published it. It the height of desperation by those who masterminded it,” Tunde Oladunjoye, an aide to Mr. Obasanjo, said.

Mr. Oladunjoye said he could confirm that Mr. Obasanjo had not received any such letter from his daughter.

One senior family member, refusing to be named for security reasons, said with all of Mr. Obasanjo’s faults, he knows his children and their likely behaviour, and that the letter does not fit into any of their behavioural pattern.

A former aide to Mr. Obasanjo and former aviation minister, Femi Fani-Kayode, said based on his knowledge of the two individuals, it was impossible for Ms. Obasanjo to have sent her father such mail.

“I can tell you the so-called letter was forged by those in government,” Mr. Fani-Kayode said. “They think they can get at Baba that way. But they are mistaken. One thing is that if they want to fight Baba, they should face him and leave his family out of it. Baba has spoken the truth and they should respond to the issues he raised.

Ms. Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello could not be immediately reached. She is yet to respond to multiple emails sent her by this newspaper.

It was learnt that she is currently in the United States.

However, all family members and aides who work closely with Mr. Obasanjo quickly placed the blame for the allegedly “forged” letter at the doorsteps of the presidency as a desperate response to Mr. Obasanjo’s own stinging letter to President Jonathan last week, in which he accused the president of being inept, corrupt, and clannish.

In the 18-page letter exclusively published by PREMIUM TIMES, Mr. Obasanjo accused Mr. Jonathan of making plans for a violent election in 2015 and preparing to launch snipers against the opposition and critics, of whom at least 1,000 are currently on the government watch-list.

Mr. Obasanjo’s letter has stirred a swell of reactions with calls for investigation into the many allegations. Many Nigerians have also dismissed the former president as lacking the moral authority to condemn his successor.

Beyond asking Mr. Obasanjo to substantiate his claim that the government is training snipers, the presidency has yet to fully respond to the letter. An earlier statement said Mr. Jonathan had directed aides not to respond, as he will personally do so at the “appropriate time.”

Regardless of the directive, groups believed to be loyalists of the president have in the past days launched what appears to be a massive campaign of calumny against Mr. Obasanjo.

Source: Premium Times

Continue Reading
8 Comments

8 Comments

  1. aminu sulaiman

    December 18, 2013 at 6:42 pm

    Nigeria and nigerians wt nigeians people, dramar.

  2. Emmanuel

    December 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

    Iyabo Obasanjo personally wrote the letter to her father OBJ. She has been nursing the pains for too long believing that someday she will be poised to voice out. Ever since she lost out of the election she contested in a controversial Supremacy and unforgiven spirit made of her father OBJ which led to PDP lost to APC and Iyabo loosing to her opponent. Those family members who claimed the letter is a forge are only doing so to protect the integrity of their Bread Winner OBJ.Ms. Iyabo Obasanjo all the while was only using the CARROT-STICK style earlier suggested by OBJ to GEJ against Boko Haram insurgence. The Bible Teaches us to Obey our Parent so that Our Days shall be Long.The same Bible Teaches our Parent not to hurt their Children to Anger. I strongly believe Ms Iyabo Obasanjo is poised to Anger by her Father Chief Olusegun Obasanjo autocratic supremacy over once integrity and personality. Their is nothing political about it. They will settle in amicable. Be watchful,if you throw a stone to a Market ,it might land one your head. Seating on the Fence crushing people those not mean you can not be crushed. OBJ Pls allow Jonathan the free hands to run his Government. Some of us well meaning Nigerian youths do understand were you are going. Learn to forgive. Jonathan is trying not to disrespect your person.

  3. me

    December 18, 2013 at 9:02 pm

    @Emma tank u. Obj has been attackin & pesterin GEJ’s governance, now nemesis has caught up wit him thru his own daughter. Wen he wrote d letter to GeJ & somm ppl were complainin , his supporters were sayin ‘leave d writer & adress d issues in d letter’ . Now I ll advise dem to adress d issues in Iyabo’s letter too. I just love GEJ, all dese crankrum crankrum, goin on, d guy just dey jee-jee, dey smile, God is his strength

  4. Gampi

    December 18, 2013 at 9:16 pm

    Most likely she wrote the letter

  5. Godspower

    December 18, 2013 at 9:35 pm

    It’s just a child with no knowledge of Nigeria politics that will read the Obasanjo’s letter and not think twice. Nigerians are now more educated than we were. Gone are the days when they (the likes of Obasanjo) will just feed us with none sense and we will just accept it. Our government has failed us over and over and over again. This generation of leaders have failed Nigeria.

  6. Elohozynno Ulebe

    December 18, 2013 at 9:49 pm

    If Iyabo didn’t write that letter she would be the first to respond to it by cussing out those maligning her family using her name, I am convinced she wrote that letter

    • Bitter Truth

      December 19, 2013 at 5:02 am

      Of course she wrote that herself. No one is fool here. after committing several atrocities to Nigerian people these past leaders would have no shame to come out condemning their predecessors for the same sins they had committed. Who forced GEJ on Nigerians? Same person that had forced GEJ on Nigerians! Its pay back time. let IYABO steps out to dissociate herself from the ‘purportedly written letter’ to her father. Or has OBJ ‘aids’ now becomes spoke persons for his children?

  7. Abayomi

    December 19, 2013 at 8:34 am

    Wisdom the bible says is profitable to direct. It is good to celebrate with all excitement, but better when done moderately and with wisdom. The decision we make today determines our tomorrow. The action or inaction of a man will either be regretted or appreciated. Some people who SAW while others were LOOKING sought for money to purchase some plots of land at the present Lekki Penninsula when a plot of land in that arear was been sold for as low as between N500,000 and N1m; are reaping the benefits now that its now been sold for as high as N130m. Some heard of it then and ignored it or never believed such an area could develop, bringing about drastic appreciation of properties in the area. Lekki Free Trade Zone, The New International Airport, The Deep Seaport (which will be the second in Africa after that in South Africa), The Lagos Industrial site, Eleganza Industrial site, The Permanent site of PAN Africa University and many more developmental projects are springing up in Epe, Ibeju Lekki and their axis. Blue Chip Companies are now acquiring hecters of land in that area. Just for the ones
    that have foresight and will take action while others are ignoring, PWAN HOMES LTD is now selling Estate Lands for as low as between N330,000 and N1.5m at Ajah, Ibeju Lekki and their environs. Promo is currently on for limited time. Some of these lands are with title such as C of O, Global C of O while some are awaiting title. Omo onile problem have been wiped off. For more information, site visitation and to pick up your own plots call Abayomi on 08179517872 or 08065415971. EVERY OTHER ASSETS DEPRECIATE, WHILE LAND APPRECIATE. INVEST WISELY TODAY TO APPRECIATE YOUR DECISION TOMORROW

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Thug attacks police station in Lagos, steals DPO’s uniform (Video)

Published

on

Thug attacks police station in Lagos, steals DPO’s uniform (Video)

Men of the Lagos Police Command have paraded a hoodlum who attacked and burnt a police station in the state, carting away the DPO’S uniform

 

The suspect was arrested while rocking the uniform of a DPO.

He was paraded before newsmen by the Lagos state police command today October 27.

Watch a video of him while being paraded along with others below:

Continue Reading

News Feed

Burial arrangements of killed #EndSARS protester, Anthony Unuode, announced

Published

on

Burial arrangements of killed #EndSARS protester, Anthony Unuode, announced

The burial poster of an endSARS protester, Anthony Unuode,  who was attacked and stabbed to death by hoodlums in Abuja, has been released by his family members.

Unuode, who joined other Nigerians to protest against police brutality in Kubwa area of Abuja, was attacked and killed by hoodlums who hijacked the peaceful protest.

 

He was rushed to the hospital where he later died.

He was 28 years old.

According to his obituary, Anthony who was 28 years, will be interred on October 30.

See his obituary below:

Continue Reading

News Feed

Army denies shooting #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate

Published

on

Army denies shooting #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate

 

The Nigerian Army has denied allegations that it shot and killed peaceful end SARS protesters at Lekki toll plaza on October 20.

The denial was disclosed in a statement released by the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army (NA)

The Acting Director Army Public Relations (ADPR), Major Osoba Olaniyi, however, confirmed the involvement of soldiers in restoring order in Lagos following the imposition of a curfew on the state by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

Read the statement below:

“The attention of Headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army has been drawn to a viral video on social media in which it was alleged that civilian protesters were massacred by soldiers at Lekki Toll Plaza. This allegation is untrue, unfounded and aimed at causing anarchy in the country.

At no time did soldiers of the Nigerian Army open fire on any civilian. From the onset of the ENDSARS protest, there was no time personnel of 81 Division Nigerian Army Lagos were involved.

However, the decision to call in the military was taken by the Lagos State Government (LASG) after a 24- hour curfew was imposed.

This was as a result of the violence which led to several police stations being burnt, policemen killed, suspects in police custody released and weapons carted away.

The situation was fast degenerating into anarchy. It was at this point that LASG requested for the military to intervene in order to restore normalcy.

The intervention of the military followed all laid down procedures for Internal Security operations and all the soldiers involved acted within the confines of the Rules of Engagement (ROE) for Internal Security operations.

Finally, Headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army reiterates Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional responsibilities did not shoot at any civilian as there are glaring and convincing evidence to attest to this fact.

This allegation is the hand work of mischief makers who will stop at nothing to tarnish the image of the Nigerian Army. The general public is hereby enjoined to discountenance this allegation as there is no iota of truth therein.”

Continue Reading

Trending