Connect with us

Metro News

Egypt Declares Muslim Brotherhood A Terrorist Group

Published

on

Egypt’s military-installed rulers declared the Muslim Brotherhood of ousted president Mohamed Morsi a “terrorist” organisation Wednesday, blaming it for a deadly police headquarters bombing already claimed by an Al-Qaeda-inspired group.

The decision is likely to accelerate a crackdown on the movement that has killed more than 1,000 people, mostly Islamists, in street clashes and seen thousands imprisoned since Morsi’s overthrow by the military in July.

It lumps together Al-Qaeda-inspired militants who have killed scores of policemen and soldiers with the more moderate Brotherhood movement, although authorities have provided no proof the groups are related.

The announcement comes a day after a suicide car bombing of a police station killed 15 people, in an attack condemned by the Brotherhood and claimed by an Al-Qaeda-inspired group based in the restive Sinai Peninsula.

“All of Egypt was horrified by the ugly crime committed by the Muslim Brotherhood on Tuesday morning, when it blew up the Daqhaleya police headquarters,” the cabinet said in a statement.

“The government has decided to declare the Muslim Brotherhood movement a terrorist organisation,” it said, referring to terrorism clauses in the country’s penal code.

“Members who continue to belong to this group or organisation following the release of this statement will be punished according to the law,” the statement said.

The Brotherhood has condemned Tuesday’s powerful bomb attack in the city of Mansoura, north of Cairo.

Morsi’s supporters, who continue to organise near-daily demonstrations demanding his reinstatement, insist they are committed to peaceful protest.

But their demonstrations have dwindled in size due to the security crackdown, and civilian opponents who oppose the Islamists often attack the rallies.

Social solidarity minister Ahmed al-Borei said at a news conference that the government would ban all the Brotherhood’s activities, including “protests”.

Morsi, now on trial facing various charges, remains a deeply divisive figure following his overthrow on July 3, after millions took to the streets demanding his resignation.

Egypt’s first democratically elected president, he ruled for one turbulent year and now faces trials for incitement to kill protesters and colluding with militants to carry out attacks in the country.

The cabinet had come under increased pressure to declare the Brotherhood a terrorist group following Tuesday’s bombing.

“Egypt enveloped in sadness… and the government waffles,” read the front page banner of the state-owned Al-Ahram newspaper on Wednesday.

An Al-Qaeda inspired group spearheading attacks in Sinai had earlier claimed responsibility for the suicide car bombing of the Mansoura police headquarters.

The group, Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, had previously claimed several high profile attacks since Morsi’s overthrow, including a September assassination attempt against the interior minister with a car bomb outside his home.

“Your brothers in Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, with the grace of God, were able to target the Daqhaleya police headquarters,” the group said of in a statement posted Wednesday on jihadist Internet forums.

The group which is composed mostly of Egyptian Bedouin has been critical of the Brotherhood’s style of political Islam and advocates armed attacks.

Morsi and the Brotherhood’s leadership face trial on charges of colluding with militant groups, including the Palestinian Hamas movement, to launch “terrorist” attacks in Egypt.

He is also accused of involvement in attacks on police stations and prisons during the 2011 uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak.

Morsi and other Islamists imprisoned by Mubarak had escaped during mass jail breaks authorities now say were part of a wider plot to destabilise the country.[AFP]

Metro News

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Published

on

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Boko Haram

Nigeria has been ranked as the third most terrorized country in the world according to a 2020 report by the Global Terrorism Index (GTI).

The report which was released on Wednesday, ranked Nigeria third only behind war-torn countries of Afghanistan and Iraq.

According to the GTI report, Nigeria witnessed an increase in Boko Haram attacks in the period under review, witnessing her worst terrorist attack in 2019 in northeastern Borno State, where at least 70 people were killed and 10 others wounded when insurgents attacked at a funeral.

Also Read: Presidency Clears Air On N150,000 Monthly Payment To Repentant Boko Haram Members

“Over the past year, Boko Haram increased attacks on military targets, with deaths rising from 26 in 2018 to 148 in 2019,” the report said.

However, the report recognized that terror-related incidents in the country fell by 27% in the same period due to a significant reduction in violence attributed to killer herdsmen.

“This reduction occurred despite a small increase in deaths attributed to Boko Haram, which has been the most active terrorist group in the country over the past decade. Deaths from terrorism in Nigeria are now 83 percent lower than at
their peak in 2014.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Trending