Connect with us

World news

Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s Cape Town Home Robbed While At Nelson Mandela’s Memorial

Published

on

Desmond Tutu

Burglars broke into the Cape Town home of South African peace icon Desmond Tutu when he was away speaking at Nelson Mandela’s memorial.

“I can confirm that there was a burglary last night,” said Archbishop Tutu aide Roger Friedman.

“We are not able to tell exactly what was stolen, the archbishop and his wife were not at home. The house was not pillaged.”

Archbishop Tutu had used the memorial to call on South Africans to follow Mandela’s example.

“I want to show the world we can come out here and celebrate the life of an icon.”
The timing of the incident is embarrassing for South Africa – the latest in a series of unflattering episodes to occur when the eyes of the world are on the country.

It is the second time in five months that Archbishop Tutu’s home in the Milnerton area of Cape Town had been hit.

In August, criminals broke into the home while the archbishop emeritus and his wife Leah were at home sleeping. The couple was unharmed.

So-called home invasions are common in South Africa and are frequently accompanied by violence.

Those who can afford it live behind high walls, electrified fences and with panic buttons that rapidly summon heavily armed private security guards.

Archbishop Tutu, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, is revered for playing a pivotal role in the battle to end former white racist minority rule.

He is still regarded as the voice of South Africa’s moral conscience.

Since retiring as archbishop in 2010, Archbishop Tutu has remained in the public eye, criticising the ruling ANC government and berating religious intolerance toward gays.

He is also well-known for his air of playfulness and humour.

Known fondly as “the Arch”, Archbishop Tutu once told AFP that most of his life had “been a bonus”.

He survived an illness believed to be polio as a baby, battled tuberculosis as a teenager and prostate cancer, with which he was diagnosed in 1997. [AFP]

World news

US Election: Trump Claims Victory Hours After Saying Biden Won

Published

on

US Election: Trump Claims Victory Hours After Saying Biden Won

Donald Trump

The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has declared himself the winner of the US Election 2020.

President Trump declared himself the winner of the US election in a tweet on Monday morning, November 16 by simply tweeting: “I won the election.”

Also Read: US election: Trump says Biden won but again refuses to concede

This came hours after he tweeted that his opponent Joe Biden “won because the election was rigged.”

The latest vote tallies project Democratic candidate, Biden a clear winner in the state-by-state Electoral College that decides the presidency, with 306 votes against Trump’s 232.

However, President Trump has remained defiant, continuously claiming he won the election free and fair.

US election: Trump claims victory hours after saying Biden won

 

Continue Reading

World news

Former Ghana President, Jerry Rawlings Is Dead

Published

on

Former Ghana President, Jerry Rawlings Is Dead

Jerry Rawlings

Jerry Rawlings, a former Ghanaian president has reportedly died from suspected COVID-19 complications.

The former Ghanaian leader died at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra, capital of Ghana on Thursday morning.

Rawlings led the country first as a military ruler and then as a democratically elected president between 1981 and 2001.

Also Read: FG Owes 3,504 Contractors, Fashola Tells National Assembly

Rawlings initially rose to power in Ghana as a flight lieutenant in the Ghana Air Force, following a coup détat in 1979.

After initially handing power over to a civilian government, he took control again in December 1981 as Head of State.

He was re-elected in 1996 for four more years.

Rawlings left office in 2000 after exhausting Ghana’s constitutional term-limit of eight years for Presidents.

Continue Reading

World news

US Election Is Far From Over — Trump

Published

on

US Election Is Far From Over — Trump

Donald Trump

U.S. President Donald Trump has refused to concede after his Democratic challenger, Joe Biden, secured the required number of electoral college votes to win the presidential race.

Shortly after Biden was projected winner, Trump in a defiant statement expressed that the election was “far from over” and criticised Biden for “rushing to falsely pose as the winner.”

“Biden has not been certified as the winner of any states, let alone any of the highly contested states headed for mandatory recounts, or states where our campaign has valid and legitimate legal challenges that could determine the ultimate victor.

Also Read: Joe Biden Defeats Trump To Win US Presidential Election

“Legal votes decide who is president, not the news media.

“Beginning Monday, our campaign will start prosecuting our case in court to ensure election laws are fully upheld and the rightful winner is seated.

“The American people are entitled to an honest election, that means counting all legal ballots, and not counting any illegal ballots,” Trump said.

 

Continue Reading

Trending