Connect with us

Metro News

19 Killed In Sokoto-Illela Road Accident

Published

on

file: an accident scene

file: an accident scene

The Chairman of Illela Local Government, Alhaji Garba Sabon-Gari, says the death toll in the accident at Gidan-Sandaga village, along Sokoto-Illela village, has now risen to 19.

Sabon-Gari disclosed this in Sokoto on Sunday in a telephone interview.

13 people were earlier reported to have died in the Sunday mid-day accident which involved two articulated vehicles from Fura-Girke and Inwala villages.

The two vehicles, with registration numbers LLA 22 XA and ABJ 801 XE, were going to Illela market when the accident occurred.

“Six more persons died some hours ago at the Illela General Hospital,” Sabon-Gari said.

12 of those who lost their lives earlier died on the spot while one victim later died at the hospital.

Thirty-two others who were injured in the accident were rushed to the same hospital for treatment.

Sabon-Gari said the state government and the Illela local government had mobilised additional medical personnel who were assisting the hospital staff.

He said the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Sahabi Gada, had moblised more medical doctors from Sokoto and Gada local governments in the same direction.

“He (Gada) is here himself, overseeing the emergency operations to save the lives of the remaining injured victims,” Sabon-Gari added.

Dr Kenneth Emordi, the Medical Director of the Illela General Hospital, had earlier said that the hospital staff were working round the clock to save the situation.

“We are trying to save the lives of the injured persons, although most of them are in a critical condition,” he said. [NAN]

Metro News

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

Published

on

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

#EndSARS protesters in Osun

The Governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola on Saturday, escaped an attack by thugs which happened while he was addressing #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo, the state capital.

Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Hold Enugu State Govt Responsible If Anything Happens To Us – Phyno, Kcee, Zoro

As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.

While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Lagos
#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Forms Panel Of Enquiry

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

In a bid to quell the #EndSARS protest which is spreading like a raging inferno across the country, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has set up a panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS.

This was announced in a statewide broadcast on Thursday.

The panel will be a 7-man panel which will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.

Also Read: BREAKING: EndSARS: Gov Sanwo-Olu reveals identities of policemen who harassed protesters

The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police), Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya aka Segalink (Human Rights Activist).

Others are Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center), a rep/member of the youth-led protest, and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.

There will be a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother
Seyi Makinde

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde

Abigail Makinde, the mother of the governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, is dead.

The Chief Press Secretary to Mr Makinde, Taiwo Adisa, however, told newsmen that the family will soon make an official statement on the death of the deceased.

He said: “Yes. The family will make an official statement.

“The family will soon make an official statement. In the next few minutes, the family will make an official statement, in few minutes.”

It was gathered that Mr Makinde lost his father, Olatunbosun Makinde, a few years ago.

It was learnt that Mrs Makinde died in the early hours of Thursday.

She died at the age of 81.

Continue Reading

Trending