The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, is one of the leading investors and lenders in emerging markets. The mission of IFC is to promote sustainable private sector investment in developing countries, helping to reduce poverty and improve people’s lives. IFC finances private sector investments in the developing world, mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses.
The IFC is building up specialized capacity in Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs), in order to work closely with Governments, the World Bank, and private investors to expand the flow of bankable infrastructure projects in the region. IFC is therefore seeking to recruit a highly qualified specialist in this area to support greater PPP development.
Duties and Accountabilities
The responsibilities of the PPP Specialist include but are not limited to:
– Work closely with the World Bank and member governments to identify potential areas for using PPPs to expand availability and quality of infrastructure services in SSA
– Develop, again in conjunction with the World Bank and member governments, PPPs opportunities into bankable transactions
– Integration of commercial, public policy, and environmental and social considerations into prospective investments
– Work across all the infrastructure sectors, including traditional infrastructure sectors, to ensure projects pursued have a transformational effect;
– Lead negotiations for infrastructure project documents, including Term Sheets, Shareholder Agreements, and infrastructure specific project documentation;
– Build and maintain strong relationships with local/regional/global infrastructure companies, banking and multilateral partners, suppliers and government officials to further develop the sector, to build consensus around project proposals and develop bankable projects;
– Collaborate in developing sector and/or regional strategies and support related promotion work, including targeting potential project development investments and policy advisory work
– Lead and manage project teams, mentor and develop junior staff;
– Share knowledge on PPPs and infrastructure development in SSA with IFC colleagues on a global basis
– MBA or equivalent qualification
– At least 12 years of investment and industry experience, and a proven track record in originating, structuring, managing and closing complex private and PPP infrastructure transaction in challenging emerging environments, including in Africa
– Ability to interact directly and independently with senior government officials
– Experience working with investors, including sovereign wealth funds, private investors, and IFIs
– Experience in private equity, with an emphasis on infrastructure
– Deep knowledge of the infrastructure sectors and their main players, particularly in Sub Saharan Africa
– Clear understanding of both motivations and requirements of commercial investors, and of public policy considerations involved in the private delivery of infrastructure services
– Ability to Lead large teams and complex initiatives
– Robust organizational skills
– Commitment to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values
– Motivation to support development in Sub-Saharan Africa
– Excellent relationship management skills
– Strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
– Results oriented and strong client focus.
– Comfortable working in an environment with a high degree of complexity
-Excellent communication skills in English
For Corporate information, please visit www.ifc.org. Please be aware that only selected candidates will be contacted.