Connect with us

News Feed

Nigerians Spent N550bn On Importation Of Vehicles In 2012

Published

on

Car-Imports

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday in Abuja approved the Automotive Industry Development Plan for the development of the nation’s automotive industry.

The Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, told State House correspondents after the weekly FEC meeting, presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan, that the plan was expected to attract investment to the sector.

According to him, a transformed automotive industry will realise its potential as a major driver of economic growth and diversification, job creation, local value addition, and technology acquisition.

“The most important discussion which took most of our time was the presentation to Council of a broad policy plan to develop the Nigerian automotive industry.

“This Plan, which is part of the Ministry’s industrial revolution plan that had earlier been approved, is aimed at ensuring increased flow of investment for the development of the automotive industry in Nigeria,“ he said.

He said FEC also approved that henceforth, government would purchase vehicles from the assembly plants in the country “unless it is of specialised nature and National Automotive Council (NAC) has certified that it is not produced in Nigeria.”

Maku added that the council approved that the recommendations on the local purchase of vehicles be backed by appropriate legislation to reassure investors that there would be no abrupt change in policy.

Commenting on the Automotive Development Policy, the Minister of Trade and Investments, Mr Olusegun Aganga, said it was unfortunate that not less than N550 billion was spent by Nigerians on the importation of vehicles in 2012.

He said that Nigeria spent $4.2 billion (about N664bn) on importation of cars in 2010, and that “car import takes the biggest share of the country’s foreign reserves followed by other machinery“.

He expressed optimism that the success of the policy would mean a gradual end to the importation of fairly used cars to the country.

Also, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Sen. Bala Muhammed, said that the council approved the rehabilitation and expansion of the Outer Southern Expressway (OSEX) from Villa roundabout to the OSEX/Ring Road 1(RR1) junction, including five interchanges at N39.8 billion. [NAN]

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Lekki tollgate should be dismantled permanently: Bode George

Published

on

Lekki tollgates should be dismantled permanently: Bode George

Former vice-chairman of PDP SouthWest, Bode George has called for the dismantlement of tollgate at Lekki area of Lagos.

The PDP chieftain made this call at a press conference after soldiers were alleged to have shot and killed peaceful EndSARS protesters on October 20.

 

 

According to George, the dismantling of the tollgates would help in pacifying aggrieved Nigerian youths.

In his words;

“Let me reiterate the irreducible minimum acceptable to placate the angry and restless youths in order to restore peace, fairness and equity in our state.

The two tollgates should be dismantled immediately and permanently. AlphaBeta and Lekki Concession Company should be scrapped. The advert signage monopoly given to Seyi Tinubu should be withdrawn forthwith.

The Iya Oloja title should be withdrawn from Shade Tinubu and be given to the individual who deserves it according to tradition.

The NURTW which has become the militia wing of the APC should be re-organized and removed from the ambit and control of political actors.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Nigeria Air Force arrest officers for flogging curfew violators in Osun

Published

on

The Nigerian Airforce has arrested its erring officers for flogging violators of the state-government imposed curfew in Osun State.

A video that went viral on social media shows Airforce personnel dehumanizing and assaulting residents that violated the curfew.

The video which made rounds on social media on Tuesday, October 27, showed the curfew defaulters inside muddy water while being flogged by the security agents.

But, in a statement released on Wednesday, the Nigeria Air Force said the officers have been arrested and an investigation has commenced.

 

The statement reads:

”The attention of Nigeria Air Force has been drawn to a video showing some personnel flogging/meting out corporal punishment on suspected hoodlums involved in criminal activities during the imposed curfew in Ilesha.

We wish to inform the general public that Nigeria Air Force has identified all the personnel involved in the incident & placed them on close arrest, while investigation to determine their level culpability has commenced, after which appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Kunle Afolayan flaunts interior of his exquisite mansion (Photos)

Published

on

Kunle Afolayan flaunts interior of his exquisite mansion (Photos)

Kunle Afolayan, a Nigerian filmmaker, has taken to social media to flaunt the interior of his expensive mansion.

Afolayan disclosed that calls for a full view of the interior of his house by young architect and art lovers made him share the photos on social media

The father of four added that “the structural designs was done by a professional architect but all interiors and esthetic done by me.”

Below are more photos.

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Continue Reading

Trending