‘My Obituary’ – By Charly Boy

A new article as written by Charles Oputa; “My Obituary.”

charly_boy_posing_dead_in_a_coffin

Right about now, some of the readers will question the sense in capturing and casting this type of crazy captions for my articles. I only write for those who are patient enough to understand the creative beauty of my mind. I write for those who have depth enough to see beyond what they see, those who have a discerning mind.
However, if your curiosity has gotten the better of you, then read on.
I am about to take up a subject no one really wants any part of, but that’s alright, this is where our imagination runs apart. For a brief second, imagine this: if your life were to end today, what would your obituary read? Come on; don’t get frightened, thinking about your obituary will not kill you. Nothing escapes the Creator’s cycle; not plants, not animals, nor human beings. All living things emerge, gather, spark new life, fall apart and die.
The purpose of all of this is not to scare you about death which is inevitable, but to expose you to a new information or rather, share a certain mindset with you that may help you live with humility and aliveness that only an acceptance of death can release.
‘My Obituary’ is meant to prick your mind to start being fully conscious of the moments you are alive.
Every moment of our lives, we are knowingly or unknowingly writing a line for our obituary. Every action or inaction provides memories of us to those we eventually leave behind; they are the memories that the people we love and leave behind will want to include in the telling of our life’s story.
Within the first quarter of this year, I lost a good friend and cousin, Mr. Emeka Aseme to kidnappers; he was butchered and killed in cold blood. My whole village was not only scandalized by the senseless killing but till today, the ‘Blue Lake City’ of Oguta has lost the shine it had as a city of bubbling happy go lucky people.
Emeka was a good man who provided employment for hundreds of Oguta people, he was sociable, liked by all and sundry (or so we thought). Even though Oguta had a lot of industrious sons and daughters, Emeka’s legacies stand out. He cared about his people, he gave a helping hand, and he was sensitive to people’s conditions.
Now that he’s no more, all we have to say of him (his obituary) are his good deeds, what he contributed to the betterment of his fellow man, especially his kinsmen.
What would yours read like, now that all you know is ‘Me, Myself & I’?
What legacy are you living today, is it different from the one you will want to leave behind?
Some people live as if they will be here forever, not giving a hoot about what happens to the next person. If it’s not their immediate personal/family gratification, it does not concern them.
Mind you, I’m not saying you should not care about your welfare and that of your family o (if you know the AreaFada well you will know that my family remains my ROCK).
However, I still make an ample proportion of my time to fighting the course of our youth and being the Voice of the Voiceless. And this gives me joy and fulfillment. For me, it is what keeps blood flowing in my veins, puts the sparkle in my eyes and springs in my steps…despite the unfavourable state of the terrain. Wetin man go do?
You are the author of your own Obituary, so tell me. Are you writing a history of misery, or a tale of tenacity? Were you inclusive and supportive? Or were you exclusively out for yourself alone, you selfish bloke. Did you lift others up, or did you allow them to knock you down? Did you stay down long enough to recover, or did you stay down complaining and winning. What will your Obituary say about the way you treated people and how you made them feel about themselves. Most importantly what will your Obituary say about how you treated yourself? What will be said about your attitude, how you handled yourself in crisis. Perhaps now is the time to consider how you are living and what you want to be said about you when you are not. Your life provides the content of your Obituary, so my guy, check yourself and park well.
For me, I came, I saw, I did it my way, had fun and boned everyone who thought it wasn’t possible. That’s my Obituary. I’m still here though, for the longer haul!

1. Prince

October 5, 2013 at 9:43 am

Facts of life. Well done charley boy

2. owen

October 5, 2013 at 9:55 am

Nice piece charly…we need to reflect more on wat we’ll be remembered for…thumbs up

3. Olakayode Okondo

October 5, 2013 at 10:15 am

Nice write up. Kudos to U Charly, dis is a very factual message to every one out der. ΨђåƮ will people say about U wen U are no more existing? Don’t let us forget dat, the brightest stars are those who shine for the benefit of others & service to humanity is the best work of life. Do good today so dat U can be remember tomorrow.

4. cool

October 5, 2013 at 11:03 am

dis s a raw truth!!!!

5. Akanji Kabir Ademola

October 5, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Charlie. Boy Now Daddy as a human right soldier has a long history! Keep on waxing strong, n keep on. The end will justify the means.

6. Joshua

October 5, 2013 at 2:02 pm

He dat have ear shd hear wat d spirit tells d churches.

7. W. A.

October 5, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Whatever we do in this world, we shall be remembered with praises or curses when we re no more. For those who fear God, they will live their everyday lives as if tomorrow will not come. The message is clear – let those that are piloting the affairs of this nation know that Nigerians are hungry , live in fear and hopelessness while they are fighting themselves over 2015. What gave them the assurance that they will live to see 2015? God has the final say.

8. Pat

October 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Huuuuu.creative mind.a mesage of hope

9. chuckoffia ngozi.

October 6, 2013 at 11:00 pm

U just stated what’s been in my mind.My heart bleeds when some people say they don’t care what people say of them dead or alife.I know of some guys who have very poor image and reputation as opinions of people truly show of them.For these people,I wonder what people shall still say of them when they are gone.

10. Patrick

October 7, 2013 at 11:01 am

Not just when u‘r no more,you can absolutely live a fulfilled life.Death isn‘t just the cessation of biological life.it represent poverty,defeat,sickness,failure or destruction that work in men‘s lives.when u‘re translatd in christ jesus He will make u wise not in ur own undersding to please men or to have a good name for ur seif,evry of that struggle wll just come to an end.the real felloship with the holyspirit makes different,u can live an exellent&fulfilled life.when christ came into your life,you were translated from the dominion of darkness that full with wickedness,seif centrednes etc into the kingdom of God whre u live in peace with all men.walk with the spirit of God and enjoy your glorious life hre u have power above sickness,wickedness,failure,destructoin,defeat,spiritualdeath,seif rightousness..Enjoy ur glorious life in christ.

11. Akinlade Adekunle

October 7, 2013 at 6:10 pm

True talk.I pray 2 leave a good Legacy.

#EndSARS: ‘The Only People I Pity Are The Poor’ – Actress Caroline Hutchings

Caroline Danjuma
Caroline Danjuma

Caroline Danjuma

Nigerian actress, Caroline Hutchings, formerly known as Caroline Danjuma, has revealed that she pities only the poor during this trying time of End SARS. The movie star took to her Instagram page to share why the poor are the most affected during this period.

She also said that a lot of celebrities ranting on social media have passports that will enable them elope easily if things get out of hand. In her words:

“So much that I want to say .. history will teach you a lot .. the only people I pity are the poor .. forget all the ranting on social media, some of us have our passports ready to elope ..

Read AlsoOritsefemi’s Wife, Nabila Thanks Caroline Danjuma For Her Support; Returns To Her Matrimonial Home

some of us cant speak up because we still consider the contracts with our political friends, it is all about our pockets. Some of us can’t talk because we really do not care since our kids were birth abroad.

So much I want to say .. but here I am weeping in silence .. I wish I could turn it around.”

See her post below:

The actress’ post

BBNaija’s Wathoni Set To Launch New Book

Wathoni

Wathoni

Reality TV star, Wathoni Anyasi, is set to launch a new book. The former BBNaija ‘Lockdown’ housemate and mother of one took to her Twitter page to reveal this. She also added that she is not in a competition with anyone. Rather, all she wants is to be and do better each day.

In her words:

“Never felt like I was in a competition with anyone. All I want is to be and do better each day. I hype those I love and want to see them win too.

Read Also#BBNaija: Nengi is the most likely housemate to walk unclad on Third Mainland Bridge for a N50million reward — Wathoni

Countdown to my book launch A lot going on has delayed so many things I have been working on. God’s time regardless”

See her post below:

The reality TV star’s post

‘This Made Me Smile’ – Davido Reacts To Video Of A Baby Enjoying ‘Fem’

“Why We Need Electoral Reforms” - Singer Davido Explains
Davido Condemns Looting, Destruction Of Private Businesses

Davido

Nigerian singer, Davido, has reacted to a viral video of a baby enjoying his hit song, ‘Fem’. The video, which has been in circulation on social media, shows a little baby refusing to watch cartoons.

The baby cries as a way of saying he does not want to watch the cartoon being played for him. His mother then changes it to the music video for ‘Fem’. Immediately the song comes on, the baby’s countenance changes to happiness.

Read AlsoDavido Condemns Looting, Destruction Of Private Businesses

Reacting to the video, Davido took to his Twitter page to write:

“Haven’t been in the best of moods lately but this made me smile ….”

See Davido’s tweet below: