The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika and the Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Adm. Dele Ezeoba, told newsmen in Lagos.
They spoke at the ongoing combined “African Winds” exercise with the American; British, Spanish and Dutch Navy in Lagos.
Ihejirika said the skills acquired by the Nigerian Army and Navy during the exercise, alongside the experiences shared with the navy from four nations, would enhance the war against insurgence and illegal bunkering.
“We went into the operation in the North-East without joint deployment training. Nevertheless, I am impressed with level of cooperation so far.
“We have taken concrete measures to improve the level of effectiveness of the operation, such as ground to air communication to enable the Nigerian Army and the Air force to communicate”, he said.
“Though, there has been limited success with the operation in the North-East, but I hope there will be improvement soon”, the COAS said.
On his part, Ezeoba described the joint exercise as a milestone achievement in the area of strategic partnership in the country, aimed at trying to ensure a secured and safe maritime space.
“Maritime security is a primary responsibility of everybody because the oceans and seas of the world are common heritage to mankind.
“The concerted efforts at the sub-regional and multi-regional levels are to ensure that we continue to cooperate and collaborate because that is a new paradigm in terms of security imperatives.
“There is no country that handle the challenges alone”, Ezeoba said.
The CNS, however, said that the exercise would further enhance human capacity and develop technical expertise.
According to him, this will further create the needed impetus to enhance maritime security, not just in Nigeria but in the Gulf of Guinea.
The exercise, which took place at Tarkwa Bay Island and featured beach landing of the troops, attack on enemies’ stronghold and their successful arrests, would be replicated in Calabar.
The troops are drawn from the 65 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, Bonny Cantonment, Victoria Island, and the Special Boat Service, Navy Town, Ojo.
Area cover was provided by the Nigerian Naval Air Station, U.S. Marine Corps, Nigerian Naval Ships and special landing boats. (NAN)
Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter
Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.
The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.
Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.
The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”
Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun!
My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer in sha Allah. May Allah forgive & be Merciful to her.
— Isa Ali Pantami, PhD (@DrIsaPantami) November 23, 2020
Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu
Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.
The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.
The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.
Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.
He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.
Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims
Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.
According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.
The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.
He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.
Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.
- Entertainment20 hours ago
Davido Celebrates Late Mom On Her Posthumous Birthday
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Cossy Orjiakor Replies Fans Who Criticized Her For Wearing A Racy Outfit While Preaching About God
- Entertainment20 hours ago
“Your Obsession With 2Face Will Be Your Death” – 2Face’s Brother Slams Blackface
- Entertainment21 hours ago
Blackface Drags Wizkid, Burna Boy For Stealing His Song
- National News19 hours ago
2020 Finance Bill Exempts Minimum Wage Earners From Tax: Buhari
- Entertainment24 hours ago
‘If You Want To Be Like Me, Be Ready To Work Hard’, Bobrisky Warns
- News Feed18 hours ago
“Marriage requirement is very high in Igboland” – Lady says her brother spent less than N50K on traditional marriage items to marry his wife from Benue
- Entertainment22 hours ago
‘Nobody Is Fighting For Your Throne Because You’re The Queen’ – James brown Assures Bobrisky