Connect with us

Metro News

Court Sends Kidnappers Of Osun Speaker’s Wife To Prison For 135 Years

Published

on

sentence

An Osun State High Court, sitting in Iwo, Monday, sentenced five persons standing trial for kidnapping the wife of the state House of Assembly Speaker, Alhaja Muibat Salaam, to a total of 135 years in imprisonment.

Each of the five accused persons facing a three-count charge of conspiracy, kidnapping and unlawful possession of firearms, was sentenced to 27 years imprisonment by Justice Moshood Adeigbe.

The convicts are Chukwudi Okereke,40, 25-year-old Ogbole Ochijile Elijah, 33-year-old Okonkwo Lucky, 35-year-old Kaikine Mahah, and Nwadinnor Philip, 30.

The convicts were said to have conspired while armed with AK 47 to kidnap Salaam, who was returning from her shop in her Honda Accord car with number plate OSHA02 at about 8pm, around Oke-Oyo Road in Ejigbo, Osun State on October 9, 2012.

During their trial, the prosecution led by the state’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Adewale Afolabi, said the convicts had confessed to the kidnapping of the speaker’s wife in their individual statements to the police during investigations.

Justice Adeigbe in his judgement noted that the prosecution had been able to establish its case against the defendants, stressing that “the confessional statements were clear that the accused persons met at Royal Hotel in Agbor, Delta State, where they planned the kidnap, perfected it in Lagos and carried it out in Ejigbo.”

“The exhibits also showed that the five accused persons kidnapped the PW2 (Mrs. Salaam), forced her into a trailer and dragged her into the bush on their way to Lagos before the Ogun State Police Command arrested them. I hold that the prosecution have established their case and therefore found the five accused persons guilty of conspiracy, kidnapping and unlawful possession of firearms,” he said.

Here is a breakdown of Justice Adeigbe’s judgement: each of the five convicts was sentenced to seven years imprisonment for the charge of conspiracy; 10 years imprisonment for the charge of kidnapping and another 10 years for the charge of unlawful possession of firearms.

Each term of the sentence, according to Adeigbe, should run concurrently since the counts arose out of the charges of the same Act.

The defence counsel, Sam George and Fredrick Komolafe, who knew they had no case to argue had prayed the court to temper justice with mercy because the accused persons are married men with children.

Justice Adeigbe however, ignored the plea, saying the five convicts deserve the full punishment for their ‘heartless and condemnable’ offence.

Counsel to Elijah, Lucky and Philip, Fredrick Komolafe, who spoke to newsmen after the court proceeding, said they were going to appeal the judgment because his clients were found guilty based on their ‘untested’ confessional statements.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. suntor

    October 23, 2013 at 9:33 am

    Is kidnapping more worrisome than doz few in aso rock milking the whole 150million pple dry? Sometin made dis fellows go into kidnapping. When there’s no job, what do the govt expect 4rm the youth? Let dem stop chassing yahoo boys and kidnappers and go after the few real thieves. How many politicians has been sent for 1month jail talkless of yrs? Dis judge is doing ΨђåƮ he was instructed to do by desame corrupt politicians. You all will gradually die in plane crash one by one. Bastards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

Published

on

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

#EndSARS protesters in Osun

The Governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola on Saturday, escaped an attack by thugs which happened while he was addressing #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo, the state capital.

Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Hold Enugu State Govt Responsible If Anything Happens To Us – Phyno, Kcee, Zoro

As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.

While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry

Published

on

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry
#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Forms Panel Of Enquiry

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

In a bid to quell the #EndSARS protest which is spreading like a raging inferno across the country, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has set up a panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS.

This was announced in a statewide broadcast on Thursday.

The panel will be a 7-man panel which will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.

Also Read: BREAKING: EndSARS: Gov Sanwo-Olu reveals identities of policemen who harassed protesters

The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police), Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya aka Segalink (Human Rights Activist).

Others are Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center), a rep/member of the youth-led protest, and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.

There will be a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother
Seyi Makinde

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde

Abigail Makinde, the mother of the governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, is dead.

The Chief Press Secretary to Mr Makinde, Taiwo Adisa, however, told newsmen that the family will soon make an official statement on the death of the deceased.

He said: “Yes. The family will make an official statement.

“The family will soon make an official statement. In the next few minutes, the family will make an official statement, in few minutes.”

It was gathered that Mr Makinde lost his father, Olatunbosun Makinde, a few years ago.

It was learnt that Mrs Makinde died in the early hours of Thursday.

She died at the age of 81.

Continue Reading

Trending