1. Let me show you how… This one is all about ego. You know how you’ve always believed that your guy just HATES to admit that he’s not able to do something? Well you were right. Just don’t say anything. Do what you’ve already been doing: let him do it wrong then you come through and do it your way – errr I mean – the RIGHT way.
2. Size doesn’t matter. I mean come on. This one is downright insulting. You know this is a lie. The guy knows it’s a lie. Suuuuuuuuure, it’s not what you’ve got, it’s how you use it. But if he aint got it, he probably won’t be using it.
3. Ask for directions/It’s faster if you go this way… Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But you know what? He’s already embarrassed and ashamed because he’s gotten you lost. Now you want to compound the problem with your logic? How dare you! We’ll get there when we get there!
4. How to manage his money. – Of course no one NEEDS an 80 inch television. But we’re getting it any way! Bad credit be damned!
5. It’s just a game. – Is it? Is it really? You know what? If your guy is upset over a big loss the WORST thing to say is this. Because it is so NOT just a game. He’s not a fool. He knows that a win or loss by his favorite team isn’t going to cure cancer – but that knowledge doesn’t make that last second loss to a hated rival go down any easier.
6. You should just … – Ugh. This is one of the WORST ways to start any kind of advisory statement. Because that opening phrase implies that something is easy. Solutions are generally pretty simple…execution of those solutions….not really as easy as that. You should just lose weight. You should just root for another team. You should just stop watching porn. If it was that easy everyone would do it!
7.You shouldn’t be eating… – This is another insulting one. Again implying that the guy is completely unaware. Hey, by a certain age, most people in general know that consuming more calories than you burn will lead to a few medical problems. But he still wants every artery-clogging morsel of that steak. Back off!