Connect with us

Metro News

Port Harcourt Airport: Amaechi Should Be Grateful For Ongoing Rehabilitation Works – Oduah

Published

on

airportThe Ministry of Aviation has expressed disappointment with the Governor of Rivers State, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi over his claims weekend that the remodeling project of the Port Harcourt International Airport has been “abandoned” due to his alleged rift with President Goodluck Jonathan.

The governor had while speaking on a Channels Television programme, “Sunrise” on Saturday, suggested that the Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Oduah was punishing the state by abandoning the remodeling project of the Port Harcourt Airport because of his differences with Mr. Jonathan.

Mr. Amaechi had further accused the minister of impounding his plane (private jet) “for no reason” due to his disagreement with the president and described her action as “reckless.”

He added, “We paid for two helicopters (surveillance helicopters) that would fly around Rivers state (and detect crime) including oil theft and report real time to police, air force, army and the government house” but “she refused the helicopters from coming”.

But the minister’s Special Adviser on Media, Mr. Joe Obi, debunked all the allegations leveled against the ministry and his boss by Mr. Amaechi, saying it was unfortunate, false and a measure of the governor’s well-known political grandstanding.

“For the avoidance of any doubt, we make haste to stress that aviation is a very professionalised industry and we do not in any way indulge in politicking. The ministry will therefore not be dragged into whatever political differences the governor is alleged to have with the presidency,” he said.

He said government was constrained to express disappointment with the comments of the governor, adding that if anything, the current Minister and Ministry of Aviation should be commended by the governor for intervening in the rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt airport, which had been left to deteriorate over the years.

Obi said: “Anyone who was familiar with the airport in the past two years would readily commend the Ministry for its effort at remodeling the once neglected and derelict airport terminal.”

Work on the Port Harcourt airport, according to him, had not been “abandoned” as claimed by Mr. Amaechi, adding that the pace of work at the airport is going according to schedule and, therefore, had never been delayed, halted or stopped even momentarily at any particular point in time.

Obi challenged anyone in doubt to visit the airport and see things for themselves.

The media aide stated that the “Port Harcourt International airport is a federal government facility and it will be fool-hardy to even contemplate halting the remodelling works going on there on political grounds. No responsible parent, he added would starve his child because he has a quarrel with a neighbour! That said, it is also important to note that the Port Harcourt airport is one out of the 11 airports we commenced remodelling under the First Phase of the exercise. Not all the 11 have been completed.”

Speaking further, he said: “Airports in the same category with Port Harcourt are the Murtala Mohammed and Margaret Ekpo International Airports Lagos and Calabar respectively, the Owerri, Jos, Kaduna, Ilorin and Yola airports.

“The question to ask is, is Mr. President also having a ‘rift’ with governors in these states that is why the remodelling works are yet to be completed? To illustrate the fact that we do not mix politics with aviation, the remodelling of the Malam Aminu Kano International airport, Kano has been completed and Commissioned in spite of the alleged differences between the Kano state governor and the Aviation Minister.”

He added: “The point to note was that the scope of work and the resources needed to execute the remodelling projects at the different airports are not the same. Ameachi ought to know that simply because several projects were commenced at the same time does not mean they all must be completed at the same time. We are satisfied with the progress of work at the airport.

On the surveillance helicopters the governor accused the minister of preventing their importation into the country, Obi explained, “It is also untrue that the Ministry has refused to approve the importation of some helicopters by the Rivers state government. Anyone, including state governments and corporate organisations that fulfil all mandatory requirements for importation of aircraft will be given due approvals.”

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. The man so call Amaechi,is confuse.

    September 23, 2013 at 11:19 am

    Amaechi Ȋ̝̊̅§ confuse!! He need help.

  2. cleden

    September 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm

    Rotimi ameachi blackmail & propaganda won’t help you,you have lost the battle.

  3. Lucky

    September 23, 2013 at 12:16 pm

    How long will this Governor Amaechi know the truth from all this his play acting in Nigeria? You succeeded in deceiving Hon Chidi Lloyd and you still don’t want to learn from such rather you still go about looking for more people to drown as a drowning man. Was that why you went to fly an Aeroplane? God is watching you o! Rebels go to hell mind you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Femi Otedola Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting

Published

on

Femi Otedola Finally Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting
Femi Otedola

Femi Otedola

Nigerian businessman, Femi Otedola has finally reacted to the shooting that took place at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos on Tuesday.

Information Nigeria recalls men dressed in military wears opened fire on unarmed #EndSARS protesters, who convened at the area.

Otedola took to his Instagram page on Sunday to commiserate with the families of those who lost their lives in the unfortunate incident.

Sharing a photo of the Nigerian flag, he wrote;

“The horrors that have been unfolding in our country have left me filled with sadness. I deeply commiserate with those who have lost their loved ones and as a father, I share the sentiment of my three daughters who protested in Lagos and London. As a young boy of 16, I participated in the ‘Ali Must Go Protest’ of 1978, so I understand the determination of our youths who rightly want our country to be better. We must all do our part to make Nigeria great! I will continue to do my own quota in providing for those who are most in need of support in our country in these tough times .…F.Ote💲”

Read Also: Femi Otedola Spotted Dancing With His Children (Video)

See his post below:

Otedola’s post

Otedola’s post

Continue Reading

Metro News

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” – Brother Claims

Published

on

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” - Brother Claims
Oke

Oke

Information Nigeria recalls a graphics designer identified as Oke, was killed hours after tweeting “Nigeria will not kill me” on Wednesday.

It was reported that the young man had passed away after he was hit by a stray bullet.

The deceased’s younger brother, Daniel has come out to clear the air regarding the circumstances leading to his death.

Daniel revealed his brother was stabbed on the neck by thugs who infiltrated and ransacked their home.

In his words;

Good day, My name is Obi-Enadhuze Daniel younger brother of the now deceased Okechukwu Obi-Enadhuze @O_Okee . I, my brother and mother lived at makinde police barracks, mafoluku, Oshodi, Lagos State.

Today at about 11 o’clock in the morning the police station at makinde was attacked by thugs who wanted to destroy the station, I my mom and brother were holed up in our house.

 The attack went on for hours before the thugs eventually breached the police and proceeded to set the station on fire, after accomplishing this they set their sights to the barracks and began the assault, they proceeded to destroy every car in the barracks, my mom’s 2 cars where destroyed and set on fire and then they infiltrated our house by breaking the door they then proceeded to ransack the house and carted away with everything we own. 

 my brother on trying to get them to take everything but spare us was pushed to my mom’s room and stabbed on the neck, the attacker then proceeded to attack me but missed my neck but got my chin instead, after this my mom and I carried my brothers body to the entrance of the station soliciting for help from the thugs still ravaging the barracks, we were finally able to put him in a wheelbarrow and took him to a hospital where he was rejected because “he was already dead” unfazed we moved him to another hospital where he met the same treatment this was where he bled his last drops of blood and died, his body has now been moved to a morgue

we have lost every single thing we own, as our house was completely ransacked and set on fire the only thing left is my brothers phone and at about 8 o’clock this evening the barracks was still on fire but Okechukwu has paid with the ultimate price

I and my mother are homeless with nothing now but we’re safe for now, we thank everyone that has been able to reach out to us, and were able to share consoling words with us in these trying times, God bless you

While we were holed up in the house the three of us said these words together and we say it again ” THREE OF US ARE HERE, THREE OF US ARE TOGETHER, THREE OF US ARE SAFE”

Let it be known that my brother @O_Okee  was NOT killed by a police bullet but died a hero protecting my mother and I.

If you see this please retweet, let the world know how Okechukwu died. He was NOT killed by a police bullet but thugs in his home!”

Read Also: RIP Oke: Barely 3hours After Tweeting “Nigeria Will Not End Me” #EndSARS Protester Dies From Gunshot

See his post below:

Continue Reading

Metro News

Youths Burn Down Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Published

on

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)Lagos youths have set the family house of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on fire.

This was after the Governor said that no nobody was killed during the shooting by soldiers at Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Sanwo-Olu had debunked claims that the soldiers opened fire and killed some peaceful protesters.

Recall that men of the Nigerian Army reportedly opened fire on protesters following the declaration of 24 hours curfew by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwolu.

Bullets fired by security operatives hit some persons and at least two persons have been confirmed killed by the police and many injured

Voices in viral footage blamed the shootings on soldiers.

However, the angry youth attacked several important places such as Nigeria Port Authority, TVC News, and the family house of the Governor where his mother resides.

Continue Reading

Trending