President Goodluck Jonathan has reiterated the commitment of his administration to hold credible, free and fair elections in the country by 2015.
Jonathan gave the assurace during his bilateral meeting with President Barack Obama in the Lyndon B. Johnson suite in the Waldorf-Astoria in New York on Monday.
“I have conducted a credible election in 2011 and I am committed to do the same in 2015.”
Jonathan reminded the U. S President that as he continued to work towards a safe world, Nigeria, he said, should not be left out.
“For you to fix the world, you must fix Africa. For you to fix Africa, you must fix Nigeria.”
He also called for a stronger global consensus and determination to end the scourge of terrorism as quickly as possible.
President Jonathan said that unless the international community unite and deploy its enormous resources to eradicate terrorism, it would continue to be embarrassed by terrorist outrages such that occurred in Nairobi.
He expressed his appreciation of the support and assistance Nigeria had received from the U. S. in the fight against domestic terrorism.
Jonathan said that Nigeria would welcome more bilateral collaboration to fight terrorism in the country.
On his part, President Obama recalled his recent trip to Africa and since then he saw common interests in helping Nigeria improve its rural electrification, empowering young people through the Young African Leaders programme.
According to him, improving internal security is in a way consistent with human rights and making sure Nigerian elections in 2015 continue to improve the country’s democratic process.
Obama said the attack at a Nairobi mall over the weekend “underscores” the level to which all countries are “connected” and the need to work together.
“We stand with them against this terrible outrage that’s occurred, we will provide them with whatever law enforcement help that is necessary.
“The United States will continue to work with the entire continent of Africa and around the world to make sure that we are dismantling these networks of destruction.”
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Jonathan was accompanied to the meeting by the Minister of State (Foreign Affairs), Prof. Viola Onwuliri, Nigeria’s Ambassador to the U. S, Prof. Ade Adefuye, the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Allison-Madueke, and the Governor of Gombe State, Alhaji Ibrahim Dankwambo.
The U.S. Secretary of State, Mr John Kerry, and the National Security Adviser, Ms Susan Rice, were also in attendance. (NAN)
Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021
Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi has presented the proposed budget for the 2021 fiscal year in the State.
The Governor on Monday presented a budget estimate of over N109 billion for the 2021 fiscal year.
Governor Fayemi, while presenting the budget at the State House of Assembly complex yesterday in Ado-Ekiti described the 2021 budget as “Budget of Recovery and Economic Restoration.”
The budget has a recurrent expenditure of N57, 997,898,982.62k while the capital expenditure has N51, 668,386,739.99k.
Fayemi, said the budget proposal presented contains the policy thrust, programmes, and vision of his administration for 2021, saying efforts shall be made to source the needed resources to fund the budget.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
- Entertainment7 hours ago
“I Don’t Think You’d Ever Lose Me, My Feelings For You Won’t Change” – Neo Promises Vee (Video)
- National News13 hours ago
‘You Cannot Gag The Press’ -Fani-Kayode Reacts To NBC Fine On Media Houses
- News Feed20 hours ago
Nigerian Lawyer, Adegboruwa reacts to Fashola’s ‘discovery’ of camera at Lekki tollgate
- News Feed20 hours ago
25 out of 1900 escaped prisoners return to Correctional Centre in Edo
- Entertainment6 hours ago
Ciara Appreciates Husband, Russell Wilson For His Sweet Words On Her Birthday
- National News14 hours ago
Biafra: IPOB Can’t Use Rivers To Launch Attacks – Wike
- Entertainment10 hours ago
“Mixed Feelings”, Says Rapper Falz As He Celebrates 30th Birthday
- Entertainment7 hours ago
Gospel Singer, Tope Alabi Celebrates Her 50th Birthday With Lovely Photos