Connect with us

News Feed

N66 Million Scam: Ex-Presidential Candidate, Ambrose Owuru, Granted Bail

Published

on

Chief Ambrose Owuru, a former presidential candidate of the Hope Democratic Party (HDP), was yesterday granted N10 million bail by the Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

ambrose-arraignedIt should be recalled that Owuru was, on August 2, 2013, arraigned before Justice Suleiman Aliyu by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on a five-count charge bordering on forgery and obtaining money by false pretence.

Other conditions of the bail include the provision of a surety, who must be a senior legal practitioner with a minimum of 20 years experience, an affidavit of proof of means by the surety, and a signed undertaking that he would appear in court regularly for trial.

While adjourning the matter to October 10 for hearing, Justice Aliyu also ordered that the accused person be remanded in EFCC custody pending the perfection of his bail conditions.

Earlier, counsel to Owuru, Granville Abibo (SAN), in his submission, urged the court to grant his client bail on self-recognition. He described Owuru as an elder of the profession of the court, adding that he was called to bar in 1984 and had been in practice since then.

He, therefore, asked the court to consider his position in the law profession and as a former presidential candidate, a request that was turned down by the court.

Owuru was charged for allegedly obtaining N66 million from one Ikechukwu Eze, through a phony land deal. The complainant alleged that sometime in March 2011, he paid the sum of N60 million through Skye Bank, Olu Obansanjo Road branch, Port Harcourt, to Owuru for a property located at Nzimiro Street, Amadi flat, Port Harcourt.

Eze said in the process of taking possession of the property, it was discovered that a portion had been sold to another person. At this point, the accused allegedly asked for another N6 million to settle the other buyer, one Chief Austin Omire, which Eze allegedly obliged him.

Owuru was also accused of uttering a forged “Certificate of Occupancy dated 20th of March 1990 purportedly issued by the Rivers State Lands and Survey covering Plot 44A Amadi Layout, Port Harcourt and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 1(2) (c) of the Miscellaneous Offences Act CAP M17 of the Revised Edition (Law of the Federation of Nigeria) 2007, and punishable under section 1(2) of the same Act.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Youths are the problems of the youths, Says Nollywood Actor Charles Anwurum

Published

on

Youths are the problems of the youths, Says Nollywood Actor Charles Anwurum

Popular Nollywood Actor, Charles Awuru, has expressed that Nigerian youths are the problems youths in the country have.

The comic actor and director made this known in a video that has since gone viral on social media.

Awuru stated that the end SARS protest made him realize that the youths are the problem of the youths.

The actor pointed out that one section of the youths are protesting for a better Nigeria while others are looting and attacking fellow Nigerians.

Here is the video below;

Continue Reading

News Feed

Ifa priests curse mob who stole Oba’s staff of office in Lagos (Video)

Published

on

Ifa priests curse mob who stole Oba's staff of office in Lagos

Local priests in Lagos have invoked spell on hoodlums that attacked the palace of the Oba of Lagos, Riliwan Akiolu.

Information Nigeria recalls that the monarch’s palace was on Wednesday invaded by hoodlums, carting away the king’s personal effects to include shoes, and his staff of office (Opa Ase).

But, in a video that has since gone viral, some ifa priests were seen laying a curse on the attackers of the monarch’s palace

 

The monarch on Friday October 23, gave the men 24-hour to return the staff of office.

Following the expiration of the ultimatum, traditional priests in the state gathered to rain curses on those involved in the looting.

Watch the video below:

Continue Reading

News Feed

Lewis Hamilton reacts to Nigeria’s #EndSARS protest

Published

on

Lewis Hamilton reacts to Nigeria's #EndSARS protest

British racing driver, Lewis Hamilton has reacted to the recent end SARS protest against police brutality that rocked Nigeria.

Hamilton, who made the reaction on Twitter, stated that the recent events in Nigeria are a human rights crisis.

 

In his tweet, the British Formula 1 racer described the recent events in Nigeria as a human rights crisis, as he noted that it is the responsibility of everyone to educate and raise awareness about tragedies happening in the world.

Hamilton, who also shared a photo of himself rocking a black T-shirt with the inscription ‘#EndSARS’ and a map with the colour of the Nigerian flag on it, posted a link for people to sign up to demand an end to impunity for police brutality in Nigeria.

He wrote:

“We all have a responsibility to educate ourselves and raise awareness of the tragedies happening in the world around us and take action where we can. The recent events in Nigeria are a human rights crisis. Hit the link to find out more #EndSARS.”

Continue Reading

Trending