WBA heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko will face
Russian Alexander Povetkin in Moscow on October 5.
Klitschko was first set to defend his heavyweight title against Povetkin three years ago but the contract for the fight was never finalised.
“We could have met earlier,” Klitschko said. “He hasn’t lost a fight and in no case will I underestimate him.”
The WBA heavyweight belt became vacant when Ukrainian Klitschko was elevated to “super champion” status in 2011 after beating David Haye.
Povetkin, 33, beat Rulan Chagaev to claim the vacant title later in 2011, before victory over American Hasim Rahman last September saw him become the mandatory challenger to Klitschko.
The undefeated Povetkin’s record stands at 26-0, with his 18th knockout stopping Polish challenger Andrzej Wawrzyk for his fourth successful defence of the “regular” title.
“I’m glad it will finally happen. I’m looking forward to meeting the strongest boxer right now,” Povetkin said.
Klitschko, 37, improved his career record to 60-3 earlier this year when he defeated Francesco Pianeta with a 52nd knockout.
The bout has been billed for Moscow’s indoor Olympic Stadium.