Connect with us

Metro News

FG: We Have Disappointed Our Western Critics On Power Privatisation

Published

on

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, managing director of the World Bank, Nigeria's central bank governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (C) and Vice President Goodluck Jonathan (R) exchange greetings during an economic summit in Abuja

The federal government yesterday said the payment of 75 per cent balance of bidprices for successor generation and distribution companies created from the unbundling of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) had shamed pessimistic criticisms from western countries and institutions.

Speaking, yesterday in Abuja, Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, stated that doubts initially expressed by most western countries and institutions on the ability of preferred bidders of the PHCN assets to pay up for the assets had been proved wrong with unfolding events in the country’s power sector.

Speaking at a forum organised by the Operator of the Nigerian Electricity Market (ONEM), otherwise called the Market Operator (MO), to officially commence the registration of all licensed participants in Nigeria’s Electricity Supply Industry (NESI), Nebo explained that most western countries and institutions had prior to the payment of the bid amounts in the ongoing privatisation process noted that the country may not achieve the expected outcomes from the process.

Represented by the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Mr. Godknows Igali, Nebo said; “Recent Events in the power sector have shown that Nigeria has the resilience to do the right things. Let me tell you that we have been meeting with western countries and they have continually expressed fears that the preferred bidders will not meet up with the payment for their acquired assets.

“They said nobody out of the preferred bidders will be able to pay for the power assets, but now that has been proved wrong because the bidders have paid and it has been successful all the way.”

Igali equally noted that the western critics had as well pointed to the PHCN labour issues as one of the likely obstacles that may derail the privatisation process, adding that government had in this regard moved on to meet about 70 per cent payment of the severance components to members of the PHCN labour union.

“The big issue of labour also threatened the privatisation exercise and they pointed at it but as at today, we have paid-off at least 70 per cent of the workers of PHCN; we have paid off the severance components and will within next week start paying for the RSA (retirement savings account) components.

“We congratulate our brothers and sisters who have galvanised to invest in the power assets; this is an example of the Nigerian resilience. We hope to sign off protocols to handover the assets to the new owners next week, this shows that the NESI is going in for a big explosion,” Igali added.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending