Connect with us

Metro News

FG Considering Fish Importation Ban – Agric Minister

Published

on

fish farming

As the government continues to bolster other non-oil revenue sources in a bid to diversify the country’s economy, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr Akinwumi Adesina has said that the Federal Government may soon place a total ban on the importation of fish and other aquatic consumables.

Speaking, Tuesday, in Ado-Ekiti, at the launch of the Special Growth Enhancement Support (GES) scheme for Fisheries and Aquaculture value chain, Adesina, however, said that the ban would be imposed, only if arrangements being put in place by the government to that effect worked as planned.

Represented at the occasion by the Federal Director of Fisheries, Mrs. Foluke Areola, the minister stressed that Nigeria had no business importing fish given its huge natural and renewable resources.

He said it was in view of this that the ministry was promoting increased fish production through the Aquaculture Value Chain. This is in pursuance of the goal of the Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA), he said

“The Value Chains are to create an enabling environment for increased and sustainable production of over one million tonnes of fish within the next four years, generate employment and pursue gradual reduction of fish imports.”

Under the four-year implementation plan, Adesina said the Aquaculture Value Chain, would increase the annual production of fingerlings in the country by 1.25 billion tonnes.

He said it would also produce 400,000 tonnes of fish feed, generate additional 250,000 tonnes of table fish and 100,000 tonnes of Value Added fish products.

“Fish farming is a business venture with lots of potential investment opportunities and a veritable tool for increased fish production, poverty alleviation and sustainable livelihoods.”

The minister noted that the Aquaculture Value Chain had already been included in the Growth Enhancement Support (GES) scheme for 2013.

He said, under the scheme, inputs such as fish and other sea foods would be distributed to many Nigerian fish farmers.

Adesina therefore lauded the efforts of President Goodluck Jonathan and his administration’s initiative in transforming agriculture into a serious business venture as well as in ensuring adequate food security for Nigerians.

He announced that in an effort by government to protect local fish farmers operating in the country, measures had been put in place to curb illegal importation of fish.

Adesina said that the ministry was collaborating with officers and men of the Nigeria Customs Service in this regard, adding that the Federal Department of Fisheries had also been directed to ensure that the stoppage of importation of the banned fish inputs.

In his speech, Gov. Kayode Fayemi, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Ganiyu Owolabi, thanked the Federal Government for its benevolence.

He said the state government would support its policies and programmes on agriculture. [PMNEWS]

Metro News

Youths Burn Down Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Published

on

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)Lagos youths have set the family house of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on fire.

This was after the Governor said that no nobody was killed during the shooting by soldiers at Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Sanwo-Olu had debunked claims that the soldiers opened fire and killed some peaceful protesters.

Recall that men of the Nigerian Army reportedly opened fire on protesters following the declaration of 24 hours curfew by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwolu.

Bullets fired by security operatives hit some persons and at least two persons have been confirmed killed by the police and many injured

Voices in viral footage blamed the shootings on soldiers.

However, the angry youth attacked several important places such as Nigeria Port Authority, TVC News, and the family house of the Governor where his mother resides.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)

Published

on

#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)
Properties in the conpound on fire

Properties in the compound on fire

Hoodlums have reportedly invaded the headquarters of popular news station, TVC, believed to be owned by National Leader of APC, Bola Tinubu.

According to reports, the staff of the news station are being trapped in the building located in Lagos.

Videos circulating online shows that properties in the compound have also been set ablaze.

The news station is currently off air and this comes hours after Nigerians accused the Lagos politician of having a hand in the #LekkiMassacre.

Information Nigeria recalls security agents had opened fire at peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday.

In a video circulating online, the anchors of one of the shows, ‘Your View’ were heard saying that there were hoodlums at their gate trying to break into the premises.

Read Also: #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Denies Shooting At Protesters In Lekki

Watch the video clips below:

Continue Reading

Metro News

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

Published

on

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

#EndSARS protesters in Osun

The Governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola on Saturday, escaped an attack by thugs which happened while he was addressing #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo, the state capital.

Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Hold Enugu State Govt Responsible If Anything Happens To Us – Phyno, Kcee, Zoro

As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.

While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.

Continue Reading

Trending