Despite releasing a video recently where he dismissed claims he had been deposed, and also challenged US president Barrack Obama, French President Francois Hollande, men of the Joint Task Force (JTF), ‘Operation Restore Order’ in Maiduguri the Borno state capital has said Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau might have been shot after all.
Citing intelligence reports, the JTF said Shekau might have been shot and seriously wounded in an encounter with its troops in one of the sect’s camps in Sambisa Forests in June.
In a press statement issued to Journalists in Maiduguri on Monday said, Spokesman of the JTF, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa said, “Abubakar Shekau, the most dreaded and wanted Boko Haram Terrorists Leaders may have died of gunshots wound received in an encounter with JTF troops in one of their camps at Sambisa Game Reserve Forests on 30th June, 2013”.
Musa did not say however why the information is just being released, but it would be recalled Musa defended the lateness in releasing details of Boko Haram second-in-command, Muhammad Bama and his father’s killing, saying it took the JTF that long to break the news of the killing to the media because they wanted to be sure they were actually the ones that fell in the confrontation in order to guard against misinformation.
Shekau’s death may signify a big leap for the JTF in the fight against terrorism in north east Nigeria, and may be a sign the country’s battle against terrorism is almost won.