Connect with us

News Feed

Mali: Nigerian Troops Withdrawal Begins Today

Published

on

Nigeria will today begin withdrawal of some of its troops from Mali because they are needed back home, where the country is battling Boko Haram insurgency, spokesman of the defence headquarters, Brigadier General Chris Olukolade said in a statement.

4

It was not clear how many troops would be pulled from the west African nation, where Nigeria currently has some 1,000 troops.

“The defence headquarters will tomorrow (Wednesday) commence the withdrawal of some Nigerian troops from the Peace Support Operations in Mali,” it said.

“The troops are mainly those not accommodated in the structures of the newly formed United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in Mali (MINUSMA). They are to join the ongoing internal security operations in the country.”

The action followed “the rehatting and takeover” by the UN of the mission from African-led International Support Mission in Mali (AFISMA),” it stated.

“Some of the soldiers will be redeployed immediately,” it added.

Nigeria will sustain its commitment and contribution to the Mali operation in other forms, such as input of “sizeable men and materials” to the mission, it said, without giving further details.

Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara, chair of the 15-nation west African bloc ECOWAS, told reporters earlier this month that the withdrawal was because Nigeria needed its soldiers back home.

“It’s because of the domestic situation,” Ouattara said after an ECOWAS summit in the Nigerian capital Abuja.

However, a military source had said troops would pull out because the country, which has the biggest military in west Africa, felt “shabbily treated” under the new UN force in Mali.

A Nigerian commanded the previous African-led force in the country, but the UN mission is being headed by a Rwandan.

The UN mission integrates more than 6,000 west African soldiers into its ranks and is charged with ensuring security during and after July 28 elections in Mali.

It is to grow to 11,200 troops, plus 1,400 police, by the end of the year.

Nigeria approved the deployment of 900 troops with the capacity to increase to 1,200 under the previous African-led force.

Nigeria’s military has been stretched thin back home.

Bomb blasts late Monday ripped through a mainly Christian area of Kano, the largest city in the north, killing 24 people, an official said, and shattering a recent lull in insurgent attacks there.

The military blamed the attack on suspected members of Islamist extremist group Boko Haram.

Violence linked to an insurgency by the Islamist extremist group, mainly in Nigeria’s north, has left some 3,600 people dead since 2009, including killings by the security forces.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Dr Anu Adepoju Of Med Contour Reportedly Suspended From Medical Practice

Published

on

Dr. Anu Adepoju of Med Contour has reportedly been suspended from practising by the Nigerian Medical and Dental board.

Twitter influencer and doctor, Dr. olufunmilayo shared the new via his Twitter page, noting that the board reached its decision after an investigation into the death of one of her patients as well as another who had complications from surgery.

Recall that an Instagram Influencer, Omohtee called out Dr Anu Adepoju earlier in the year for ruining her buttocks after suffering complications from a surgical procedure despite paying the sum of 1.5 million naira for a Brazilian butt lift.

Anu Adepoju was also alleged to have killed a beauty queen in 2018, the result of a failed procedure.

According to Dr. Olufunmilayo, Anu graduated from College of Medicine, Unilag in 2017 and performed plastic surgery on a patient in December 2018 when she was a House Officer.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Davido celebrates his mum on her posthumous birthday

Published

on

David Adedeji Adeleke (born November 21, 1992), better known as David’s mum, Veronica Adeleke, would have turned a year older today November 23.

He posted this throwback photo of he and his mum on his Instagram this afternoon with the caption;

”Happy Birthday Mama … love and miss you always”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Death threats issued on WizKid associates by 30BG crew is unbelievable – Kemi Olunloyo

Published

on

Kemi Olunloyo known for holding controversial opinions has disclosed that Wizkid and Davido have taken their feud to another level.

According to a post sighted on her social media page, she has alleged that the 30 Billion Geng crew of Nigerian artist Davido are threatening the associates of Wizkid outside Nigeria.

Kemi Olunloyo has however urged Davido to control his crew members or anyone behind it because they can be arrested.

Her tweet reads:

The COLD WAR going on between Davido and WizKid could destroy the Nigerian music business. The DEATH ☠️threats metted upon WizKid associates by 30BG crew is unbelievable. Fans have no idea! Davido should control his crew ASAP. Most of this is happening abroad
#Kemitalksblog

This one is WORSE than Toyin Abraham vs Liz Anjorin. The fan threats was why I called
@Opetodolapo in and settled it fast. One fan sent a message to Lizzy to pay him 500K to kill Toyin and her baby. Wizkid & Davido’s crew are fighting in foreign territory. Anyone can be arrested

Continue Reading

Trending