Connect with us

National News

Imagine: Idumota Traders Stop Sales Of Yoruba Films

Published

on

36a585c36b1e3560964b808d207b6e8b

Some movie marketers, under the aegis of Yoruba Video Films Producers and Marketers, YVFPMA, Association of Nigeria, have banded to protest the flagrant piracy of movies in the popular Idumota Market, Lagos. To enforce this, the marketers have stopped the further release of home videos of Yoruba genre into the market with effect from Monday, July 1.

This is after a petition had been written by the marketers to the National Assembly lamenting the financially crippling activities of piracy and requesting that the legislators passed decisive laws to curb the menace. According to information gathered from the General Secretary of YVFPMA, Mr. Tunji Ojetola, the petition was given a hearing on the floor of NASS on Monday.

However, the marketers are resolved not to resume film release until their grievances have been suitably treated. “It is really serious and we have been complaining for long but it seems nothing was being done so we decided to stop the release of films for now. Presently, meetings are ongoing with relevant agencies of government about the crisis and we hope to find a solution soon”, said Ojetola.

Nestled in the heart of Lagos Island’s bustling commercial district, the market’s film trading section is one of the two business hubs on which Nollywood –the film industry in Nigeria, is currently totally dependent. The other is Alaba International Market located in Ojo area of Lagos Mainland, which is viewed as the source of the movie piracy dilemma.

“We know the pirates; and the accusatory finger is pointing back to Alaba International Market”, the Sec. Gen stated.

Assessing their loss in numbers, Ojetola explained that between 20 to 25 Yoruba movies are released fortnightly in both markets and because of the activities of pirates, the film producers and marketers lose between N60m to N65m every month; annually, that would be N720m to N780m untaxed income going into the pockets of pirates. These are conceivable figures considering that globally, Nollywood is ranked as second film making industry in the world; Nollywood makes about 2,400 films per year, putting it ahead of the US, but behind India, according to an updated UNESCO report in 2012.

Also in 2012, research data produced by Euromonitor International in its forecast of nine major global travel trends for the next four years (till 2016), places Nollywood fourth on the list for being ‘a film hotspot’ and holding the power to increase tourist arrivals in the country from 2 percent in 2012 to nearly 3.5 percent in 2015.

TON

National News

Buhari To Make National Broadcast At 7pm

Published

on

Buhari To Make National Broadcast At 7pm
Buhari To Make National Broadcast At 7pm

Buhari

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari will make a national broadcast Thursday evening, following the escalation of violence in different parts of the country.

“Following detailed briefing by security chiefs on the current situation in the country, Buhari will make a national broadcast Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 7pm,” President Buhari’s media adviser Femi Adesina said.

“Television, radio and other electronic media outlets are enjoined to hook up to the network services of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) and Radio Nigeria respectively for the broadcast,” says Femi Adesina who is Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity.

Lagos and most of Nigeria has been overrun by arsonists and hoodlums since soldiers opened live rounds on peaceful protesters on October 20, 2020.

Continue Reading

National News

End SARS: Gen. John Enenche Reacts To Lekki Toll Gate Shootings

Published

on

End SARS: Gen. John Enenche Reacts To Lekki Toll Gate Shootings
John Eneche

John Eneche

Major General John Eneche, the Nigerian defence director of information, has said that the reports about soldiers shooting #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday are mere ‘allegations.’

Eneche said this during a media briefing in Abuja, where he also mentioned that the analysis of the shooting and video evidence available suggest that they may have been photoshopped.

In his words;

“I even got analysts. People that have analysed the various videos that were cropped and photoshopped put together. If not that I’m not permitted, I could have forwarded it to your Instagram”, he said.

Eneche added that he is not permitted to speak further on the incident so as not to compromise the outcome of the findings by the Commission of Enquiry already constituted by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

In his words;

“We are dealing with major operations, anything outside this is what is called Operation MENSA, I may not want to go too much into Operation MENSA because it is not a major operation. We have nine Operations and other subsidiary Operations which I have been directed to focus.

“Operation MENSA is strictly under the policy directive of the various states we have them all over the country and it is the oldest of all Operations. For this Operation you have the Military, Navy Air Force, Civil Defence and the Police put together. So these Operations are still standing and running and I am aware that the state governments are using them in all these capacities, that is internal security, the level we are now is internal security and that is why the Police proactively came out and then deployed all their Force package that are necessary to handle that so that is where we are. So if there was anything and if it is true, why am I saying if it is true because up to this morning, I even called analysts who have analyzed videos that were photoshopped and put together, if not that I am not permitted, I would have forwarded it to you.

“The issue is not an operation that I can respond to. But I can tell you that it is an allegation for now, so let us not set the cart before the horse. If the matter was still open-ended I would have had I response for you but it is no longer open-ended, because immediately, not even up to five hours, before midnight the Governor of Lagos set up an Inquiry, so whatever we say now will not be fair to the Commission.”

Read Also: Sanwo-Olu Confirms Lekki Toll Gate CCTV Still Intact

Watch the video clip below:

 

 

Continue Reading

National News

Ekiti Extends Curfew Indefinitely

Published

on

Ekiti Extends Curfew Indefinitely
Ekiti Extends Curfew Indefinitely

Governor Fayemi

Amidst the continued violence across the country, Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi has approved the extension of the 24-hour curfew in Ekiti State indefinitely.

The curfew was declared on Tuesday evening following reported cases of violence in Ado Ekiti as hoodlums allegedly the peaceful protest by EndSARS protesters.

The initial curfew lapsed on Wednesday night by 10 pm.

Also Read: “I don’t care about #EndSARS”- Edo state deputy governor’s son slams protesters

However, on Thursday morning, the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Akin Omole, announced that the curfew still continues in every part of the state until further notice.

It reads: “The general public is hereby alerted that the 24-hour curfew announced by the State Government is still in place in all parts of the state until further notice.

“Government appreciates the cooperation of all citizens of the state in obeying the curfew and ensuring that peace returns to the state.”

Continue Reading

Trending