Connect with us

Education

FG Disburses To Enhance Quality Of Education In Tertiary Institutions

Published

on

Prof. Ruquayyatu Rufa’i

Prof. Ruquayyatu Rufa’i

Education Minister, Prof. Ruquayyatu Ahmed Rufa’i, said Thursday that the federal government had so far disbursed about N109.4 billion to Universities, Polytechnics and State Colleges of Education under the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) to boost manpower development and enhance quality of education.

The minister also disclosed that the sum of N15 billion had been spent on all 51 Federal and State Polytechnics for the development and rehabilitation of their laboratories while 58 federal and state colleges of education had benefited from the construction of Micro-Teaching Laboratories valued at N11.6 billion.

The monetary initiatives, the minister said, are aimed at bringing the facilities to match the 21st Century standard as well as enhance the application of modern technology in the teaching process.

Speaking in Abuja at the Dissemination of the World Bank Report on Education and Skills Policy Note in Nigeria, Rufai also said a total of N4.7 billion had been provided to each of the 12 newly established federal universities, adding that while nine of them had commenced academic activities, four are expected to begin in 2014.

She said the interventions were parts of the efforts by government towards addressing the challenges in the education sector, noting that it would require partnership with non-government agencies to achieve greater success.

The minister also noted that the current administration of President Goodluck Jonathan recognised the invaluable role which education plays in national development and poverty reduction.

“Central attention is given to education and human capital development as a key component towards ensuring the future progress of Nigeria. As Nigeria grows in all spheres of endeavour, we require the skilled manpower to drive diverse sectors of the economy. This will enhance our global competitiveness, ensuring mobility of labour and ultimately safeguarding the economic, social and political well-being of our citizens,” she said.

Meanwhile, Prof. Rufa’i has expressed optimism that the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU may call off the industrial action embarked on weeks ago, at the end of a meeting between the Union and the federal government today.

“Government has no option but to make efforts to resolve ASUU crisis. The President is concerned and everybody is concerned.

Definitely, efforts would have to be made to have students back in classes. So we are still pleading with ASUU to call off the strike,” Rufai said.

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. chinedu

    July 26, 2013 at 9:17 am

    For admission aid in UNN and any information about the school call me
    08124175612

  2. Sanni

    July 27, 2013 at 7:04 am

    For admission assistance in FUTMINNA pls call 08160860844

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely

Published

on

NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely
NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely

NECO

The National Examinations Council (NECO) on Sunday announced the suspension of the ongoing Senior Secondary Schools Certificate Examinations (SSCE) indefinitely.

This was made known in a statement by NECO’s Head, Information and Public Relations Division, Azeez Sani.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew

The examination body explained that the action was taken due to the closure of schools and the curfew imposed by some state governors to safeguard lives occasioned by the #EndSARS protests.

“Arising from that meeting, the Governing Board resolved that the 2020 SSCE (Internal) be postponed indefinitely in view of the current security challenges, occasioned by the #ENDSARS protests, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the examinations in some parts of the country,” the statement partly read.

Continue Reading

Education

#EndSARS Protest: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Schools In Lagos

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours
#EndSARS Protest: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Schools In Lagos

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government led by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered the closure of public and private schools indefinitely in the state.

The closure of schools in Lagos was announced in a press statement on Monday by the state’s Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi.

Also Read: #EndSARS protesters break into Lagos International Airport (Videos)

The statement which was titled, ‘Lagos directs students to stay at home’, quoted Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, the Commissioner for Education, as saying that the schools were shut down over “tension generated by the anti-SARS protests.”

This is coming at a time #EndSARS protests against police brutality and bad governance by Nigerian youths grounded academic activities in some schools in the state on Monday.

“A new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.”

 

Continue Reading

Education

NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest

Published

on

NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest

NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest

The National Examination Council, NECO, has announced the rescheduled of one of the practical examinations supposed to hold in October till the next month.

This was contained in a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday, October 18, by the Head, Information and Public Relations Division for the Nigerian exam body, Mr. Azeez Sani.

He announced that the Paper I Computer Studies Practicals examination which was supposed to be taken on Monday, October 19 is now delayed till November 16, 2020.

Also Read: Buhari Appoints Professor Godswill Obioma As New NECO Registrar

Sani revealed that the postponement is a result of the ongoing #EndSARS protests across the country, particularly the blockage of movement of transport at the entrance gate into Benin City, the Edo state capital.

He noted further that the truck conveying NECO examination materials had left its take-off point two days earlier to deliver to some states but has been held up in the ‘blockage.

Continue Reading

Trending