Connect with us

Metro News

Borno Rejects Restoration Of GSM Network

Published

on

telecom-mast_3

The Borno state Government has declared the state would rather be without GSM network services if its restoration will distablize the relative peace being enjoyed in the state.

GSM network was restored in Adamawa and Yobe, after it was cut off following declaration of a state of emergency in both states and in Borno. GSM network was however not restored in Borno when same was done in Adamawa and Yobe, but the government of the state says it does not mind being without the network just to be sure of peace in the state.

Declaring this while receiving members of the Senate Committee on Defence, Police, Army and National Security (SCDPANS), who were in Borno on a courtesy call yesterday, the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Zanna Umar Mustapha commended the Committee led by its Chairman, Senator George Sekibo for their concern on how to end the Boko Haram insurgency in the north, adding that, the committee has demonstrated a sense of nationalism for revisiting the state to assess the security situation.

“We as Government and the people of Borno state want to use this opportunity to thank the SCDPANS, JTF and the vigilante youths a.k.a Civilian JTF in the fight against terrorism, all your efforts are highly commendable as we are witnessing tremendous improvement on the security challenges, the 6am to 9pm curfew has been relaxed to 11pm, and if restoration of GSM network will affect the relative peace we now enjoyed, it is better we went to Adamawa or Yobe to make calls and come back to Maiduguri,” the Deputy Governor said.

Mustapha said despite recent killings by suspected Boko Haram sect in Mainok village, Biu and Kukawa council areas, the government is optimistic that total peace will be restored across the state in no distant time, and therefore called on all and sundry to use the period of Ramadan Kareem to pray for peace and unity in the state.

Speaking earlier, the Chairman and Leader of the delegation, Senator George Sekibo told the Deputy Governor that they were in the state for the second time to assess the security situation, meet with security agencies and stakeholders with a view to collectively reviewing the security challenges in the state.

He said, with what they saw on ground so far, the declaration for the state of emergency in the three states have started yielding positive result, as life is gradually picking up, and the rate of killings have drastically reduced in the state

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending