Connect with us

World news

2013 Hajj: Saudi Urges The Elderly, People With Chronic Diseases To Stay Away, Others To Wear Face Masks At Holy Sites

Published

on

kabba_2

Saudi Arabia will not issue Haj visas this year for the elderly and people with chronic diseases in a bid to prevent the spread of the SARS-like Mers (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) coronavirus during the upcoming pilgrimage season, the Health Ministry said on Saturday.

The kingdom, the which has become home to a new respiratory virus, also asked that pilgrims coming from across the Muslim world to visit its holy sites wear face masks in crowded places.

The list of Health Ministry recommendations carried by the Saudi Press Agency also advised the elderly, or those with chronic diseases, to postpone their pilgrimage.

Local press reports said no age limit was set, but the elderly who were medically unfit to travel would not be considered for pilgrimage visas.

The main pilgrimage season comes in October but hundreds of thousands also visit the kingdom during Ramadan, which began last week.

Saudi Arabia announced two deaths on Sunday, bringing to 38 the number of deadly cases in the kingdom.

The new virus is related to Sars, which killed some 800 people in a global outbreak in 2003. It belongs to a family of viruses that most often cause the common cold.

Millions of Muslims flock every year to holy sites in Saudi Arabia to perform the Haj, making it one of the world’s biggest annual gatherings.

The strain of coronavirus, called Mers-CoV, was first discovered in 2012 in a man in Saudi Arabia.

France, Jordan, Qatar, Germany, Tunisia and Britain have also reported infections.

The World Health Organisation has confirmed a total of 80 Mers cases worldwide, including 45 deaths.

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. N D A

    July 13, 2013 at 11:13 pm

    Nigeria Defence Academy Result has just been
    on a short-listed call 08138204745

  2. mr james

    July 13, 2013 at 11:17 pm

    2013 NAFDAC Recruitment form is out
    call:08138204745

  3. tayo

    July 14, 2013 at 2:56 am

    b wise

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending