Connect with us

Metro News

Seven Students, Four Others Killed As JTF, Boko Haram Exchange Fire In Yobe

Published

on

Joint-Security-Task-Force-360x225Eleven persons have been confirmed killed in separate attacks by men suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect when they invaded the Government Secondary School and a military checkpoint in Damaturu, the state capital.

The Military Joint Task Force, JTF spokesman in the state, Lieutenant Eli Lazarus, in a statement on Monday, disclosed that two teachers, seven students and two of the gunmen were killed during the attacks.

According to the statement, three soldiers were critically injured in the gunfight which lasted for over five hours.

The army spokesmen said three of the suspected Boko Haram members were caught alive and in custody of the JTF.

A breakdown of the dead indicates those that lost their lives as seven students of the GSS Damaturu, two teachers of the school and two members of the suspected Boko Haram members.

Also, six students sustained various degrees of injuries and are currently receiving treatment at the Damaturu Specialists Hospital.

Mohammed Ya’u (SS3 student) Abdulkadir Mohammed (SS2) and Goni Abubakar (SS1), who survived the attacks, said in Damaturu that the gunmen stormed their hostels shortly after 9pm on Sunday and started shooting sporadically as the panic-stricken students fled through the windows and doors of the hostel.

According to them, the gunmen, who they said were many, also forced some of the students to lead them to the teachers’ quarters, after which they were also killed.

Yobe is one of the states currently under state of emergency declared by President Goodluck Jonathan last month.

 

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending