Connect with us

News Feed

Nigeria Is Safe – Jonathan Assures International Investors On Security

Published

on

Nigeria is winning the war against terrorism and her climate is conducive enough for investments, President Goodluck Jonathan said on Thursday.

jonathan1-300x225

The President stated this while giving an opening remark at the 14th meeting of the Honorary International Investor Council (HIIC) held at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa.

The HIIC was inaugurated in 2004 as a presidential advisory council to attract global financial players in to the Nigerian economy. Coordinated by British Baroness, Lynda Chalker, it is charged with the responsibilities of reviewing Nigeria’s investment environment, advise on areas to improve on, and attract businesses across the world to invest in Nigeria.

While explaining steps taken by the government on insecurity, the president said the declaration of a state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa on May 14 has led to significant improvements in the nation’s security. He said the declaration and the military’s efforts have witnessed unprecedented support by the locals.

Mr. Jonathan said this development had confirmed that the insurgency witnessed in the country has nothing to do with religion, but the activities of internationally backed terror groups determined to destabilise the nation.

He thanked members of the HIIC for their efforts at attracting business and investments into the country and encouraged them to do more; adding that though the nation’s economy is growing, he would like to see it improved to an appreciable level of double digit growth.

The president informed the council that he presented a mid-term report of performance of his administration on May 29 to correct “lots of misinformation’’ going on among Nigerians.

Reacts to school drop-outs

On the challenge of high statistics of school drops-out in the country, Mr. Jonathan said there is a need for an interface between the federal and states government to end the menace.
A report by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation recently showed that Nigeria had the highest number (10.5 million) of out of school children in the world.

The president assured that the federal government would organise a forum of stakeholders from federal and states levels on the problem after resolving the political impasse within the Nigeria Governors’ Forum.

The president also admitted that oil theft in the country had reached an alarming stage and is affecting the country’s economy, and aiding insecurity.

Earlier, Ms. Chalker had said that government must take pro-active action to address the problem of oil theft which she said was “diminishing income into the treasury’’.

She also charged the government to double its drive on the development of infrastructure, roads, rails, power, which she said “are key to solving other problems’’.

Giving accounts of impacts of the activities of the HIIC on national development, the Minister of Trade and Investment, Olusegun Aganga said there was significant increase in foreign direct investment in the economy.

He said the petrochemical sub-sector attracted over $20 billion investments with over $8 billion contribution by the Dangote group.

Mr. Aganga said the investments in petro-chemical have encouraged value addition into the oil and gas sector and also generated employment. He said the country will soon launch its auto-programme with a plan by Nissan Automobile to launch an assembly plant in the country.

The minister said that in the last six months, the telecommunication sector had attracted over $6.9 billion.

Mr. Aganga said there had been influx of foreign investments from Brazil, Canada and Netherland while Turkey had signed an agreement to build an industrial park in the country.

He said some of the investors have, however, been asking for increased incentives to invest in the rural areas, while some complain of skill-gaps.

The Vice President, Namadi Sambo, and Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, were among various top government officials at the program which was also attended by some foreign investors.

Several Nigerian businessmen including Aliko Dangote, Emmanuel Ijewere, and Femi Otedola, were also at the event.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

#EndSARS: Ekiti state government declares 24-hour curfew

Published

on

Following the various attacks on #EndSARS protesters in the state, Governor Kayode Fayemi has imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state effective from 10pm on today, Tuesday, October 20.

In a statement released by the Secretary to the State Government, Biodun Oyebanji, the state government said the curfew became necessary following the state government’s observation of how the end SARS protest, which started as a peaceful protest against police brutality by youths in Ekiti State, has been hijacked by some hoodlums.

Read the statement below

1. The Government of Ekiti State has observed with growing concern how the ENDSARS protest, which started as a peaceful protest against police brutality by youths in Ekiti State, has been hijacked by some hoodlums.

2. The hoodlums have capitalised on the ENDSARS protest to rape, assault, rob and extort innocent citizens across the State. These are in addition to the wanton destruction of properties, particularly private properties.

3. Government is concerned that if this state of affairs is allowed to continue unabated, it will lead to a breakdown of law and order thereby threatening the wellbeing of the people of Ekiti State.

4. For the purpose of clarity Government continues to show understanding and responsiveness to the demands of the legitimate protesters.

5. On 16th October 2020, Dr. John Kayode Fayemi, Governor, Ekiti State met with the protesters in person. While identifying with the legitimacy of their protests, he assured them that the State Government will immediately put measures in place to respond to all their demands.

6. Government has since then constituted a Human Rights Investigation Panel to review all cases of abuse by Officers of the disbanded SARS. In addition, Government has enabled a Victims Compensation Fund to facilitate speedy remedial measures for victims of such abuse.

7. Furthermore, several officials of Government have engaged the protesters at multiple fora and platforms including the social media in order to ensure that concerns of protesters are properly identified and responded to in a prompt and efficient manner with necessary feedback.

8. Government had also at various times drawn the attention of the protesters to the troubling hijack of the protests by individuals whose only interest is to inflict violence on the people of the state.

9. In the past 48 hours there have been incidents of gang-rape, robberies, physical assaults on innocent people, looting and burning of a police station. These acts of brigandage are not in consonance with the legitimate aspirations of the protesters. It cannot be logical to seek to remedy impunity with impunity.

10. Government therefore cannot afford to watch a deliberate enthronement of anarchy by some bad elements who have hijacked the protest for some clandestine reasons.

11. Consequently, the Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi, hereby imposes a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State starting from 10.00 pm tonight, Tuesday, October, 20, 2020.

12. Only essential workers and service providers with valid means of identifications are allowed to move around during the period of the curfew.

13. Any person found on the street that does not belong to this category, would be promptly arrested and prosecuted according to the laws of Ekiti State.

14. We seek the understanding of the good people of Ekiti State as we continue to take deliberate steps towards ensuring that peace and normalcy return to our state.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Davido speaks on the events of the past 48 hours

Published

on

Davido speaks on the events of the past 48 hours

Nigerian superstar, Davido has said criminals are responsible for the attack on two Correctional Centres in Benin City, Edo State.

Davido made the claim while absolving End SARS protesters of involvement in the attacks.

The singer pointed out that no amount of mischief would stop the protest against police brutality and bad governance.

Davido made the remark while condemning the attack on two Correctional Centres in Benin City, Edo State.

The hoodlums had attacked the facilities and freed some inmates.

Reacting, the singer in a series of tweets wrote: “After seeing all that’s gone on today I just want to say that from the beginning we have preached that the protest must remain peaceful and Law Abiding and as far as I know we have kept to that! And we will continue to keep to that so the narrative can NOT be switched up on us!

“The people they claim broke into prisons to free convicted criminals, burn police stations to steal weapons, damage police, government, and private vehicles are Criminals and everybody must condemn these acts. They are not part of our movement !

“#EndSars is a peaceful and law abiding protest that is going somewhere great! And no mischief can scatter it!”

Continue Reading

National News

Address Nigerians over #EndSARS protests – Senate urges Buhari

Published

on

Address Nigerians over #EndSARS protests – Senate urges Buhari

The Nigerian Senate has called on President Buhari to urgently address the nation so as to douse the tension in the country.

This comes as hoodlums continue to carry out various attacks on #EndSARS protesters and others in some parts of the country.

The Senators made the call for President Buhari to speak to the Nation after a motion was moved by Senator Biodun Olujimi and co-sponsored by all Senators on the ongoing nationwide protests believed to have been hijacked by hoodlums.

Part of the resolution of the Senators after deliberation include:

-Urge all tiers of government to put in place and sustain policies of social economic reforms that raise the standard of lives of our people;

-Call upon the Police to operate strictly in accordance with the rules of engagement appropriate in a democratic environment;

-Urge the Inspector General of Police to ensure a holistic comprehensive reforms of the police to increase the overall welfare including training and medical insurance of all members of the Nigeria Police Force

-Appeal to all Nigerians to resort to use of legal institutions to resolve disputes and conflicts;

-Urge the Nigerian youths and the Nigerian citizens to approach the National Assembly Committees Constitution and Reforms in order to secure far-reaching holistic amendments that are vital to the restructuring of our federation

-Urge the Federal Government to faithfully and comprehensively implement all the five demands of the #EndSARS movement and protesters with necessary timelines to rekindle confidence in government

-Appeal to #EndSARS movement and protesters to kindly in the interest of everyone stop their actions and embrace genuine dialogue; 7. Urge Mr. President to address the nation as soon as possible on these issues.

-Police should make it a duty to accompany protesters and should be involved in protecting genuine protesters.

Continue Reading

Trending