Connect with us

Metro News

Government Paid Us N240 As Compensation – Adamawa Flood Victims

Published

on

Adamawa flood

Some victims of last year’s flood in Adamawa State have claimed that they received paltry sums ranging between N200 and N240 as compensation from the government even after the Federal Government had released N500 million to them.

They have, however, said that they would not relocate to safer areas, following predictions of heavy flooding at the peak of rainy season this year.

The Kobis Ari Committee in the state was saddled with the responsibilities of both the assessment and disbursement of the N500million from the Federal Government.

However, some of the victims in Demsa Local Government Area of the state, who spoke to Vanguard on the issue, criticised the alleged poor handling of N500 million from the Federal Government.

Some of the victims told Vanguard at Gindin-Kuka ward, which was one of worst hit, that they were yet to get any form of assistance except for an offer of between N200 to N240, and asked that the matter be probed.

One of the victims, Moses Ginam, said he learnt of the N500 million assistance from Federal Government from the media, but was yet to receive any assistance except that he was told that the sum of N93,000 was allocated to affected people in his area whereby each person would get N240.

“To be candid I only read in the newspapers that N500 million was given to Adamawa State. We were told that we were given N93,000 and when you divide this money each household will get N240.

“The Federal Government should investigate this matter because those affected were not the people who benefited from the money.”

Another victim, Mr. Francis Emmanuel, also asked the government to investigate the incident , saying that, his community in Mbula chiefdom rejected the N1.5 million given to them as it was too meagre to go round.

“They sent N1.5 million to the entire Mbula chiefdom and the people refused it because if you are going to share this money to the people, each will get just a little above N200.

“Imagine somebody that lost his house and farm and he is given just N200?” he asked.

Mallam Abdullahi Gindin-Kuka, who also called for probe into the handling of the Federal Government’s largesse, said he was asked to collect N240 from the ward head as assistance from the government, but that he rejected the offer.

The Secretary to Adamawa State Government, SSG, Mr. Kobis Thimnu who was the state chairman of Quick Response Committee that handled the issues involving the flood victims, said the money was used for the purchase of 60 trucks of fertiliser and varieties of seedlings, among other things, for the farmers.

Thimnu said the measure was taken in view of the fact that most of those affected we’re farmers.

“You are aware that the state is an agrarian area and that is why we decided to give priority to food security by providing fertiliser and seedlings to framers,” Thimnu said.

He also explained that cash was given to affected local governments based on the level of destruction, adding that Lamurde was given N29 million as the worst affected.

According to Thimnu, committees were set up in each of the local governments with commissioners from the affected local government areas serving as chairmen of the disbursement committees. [Vanguard]

Metro News

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Published

on

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Boko Haram

Nigeria has been ranked as the third most terrorized country in the world according to a 2020 report by the Global Terrorism Index (GTI).

The report which was released on Wednesday, ranked Nigeria third only behind war-torn countries of Afghanistan and Iraq.

According to the GTI report, Nigeria witnessed an increase in Boko Haram attacks in the period under review, witnessing her worst terrorist attack in 2019 in northeastern Borno State, where at least 70 people were killed and 10 others wounded when insurgents attacked at a funeral.

Also Read: Presidency Clears Air On N150,000 Monthly Payment To Repentant Boko Haram Members

“Over the past year, Boko Haram increased attacks on military targets, with deaths rising from 26 in 2018 to 148 in 2019,” the report said.

However, the report recognized that terror-related incidents in the country fell by 27% in the same period due to a significant reduction in violence attributed to killer herdsmen.

“This reduction occurred despite a small increase in deaths attributed to Boko Haram, which has been the most active terrorist group in the country over the past decade. Deaths from terrorism in Nigeria are now 83 percent lower than at
their peak in 2014.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Trending