Connect with us

Metro News

Former Lagos Dep. Governor Denies Fraud Allegation

Published

on

Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu

Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu

Former Lagos State Deputy Governor, Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, who with her son, Samson, have been accused of defrauding one Mr Okekearu of N130 million has maintained that she is innocent of the allegation.

Ojikutu, in a statement denied that she and Samson obtained N130m under false pretences from the complainant, Mr. Cajetan Okekearu.

She claimed that the said amount was collected under genuine circumstances for the sale of a plot of land to Okekearu.

The statement said the plot in question, belonging to Ojikutu and her late husband, Sampson Ojikutu, is Block 4, Plot 24, Lekki Peninsula Residential Scheme, Phase 1.

It, however, accused the complainant of constructing on a wrong plot of land – plot 23 – which is the adjoining plot.

The statement, which was signed by Ojikutu’s solicitors, B. Ayorinde and Co., read in part, “That subsequently, Mr. Cajetan Okekearu commenced construction on Block 4, Plot 23, Lekki Residential Scheme Phase1, the land adjoining Block 4, Plot 24, Lekki Residential Scheme Phase 1, whereupon one Afolabi A. A. Coker successfully challenged Mr. Okekearu’s entry onto the land.

“It was after the events above that our clients discovered for the first time that Mr. Okekearu had built on Block 4, Plot 23, Lekki Residential Scheme Phase 1 instead of Block 4, Plot 24, Lekki Residential Scheme Phase 1.”

Ojikutu maintained that she and her son had relied on the authority of a Letter of Administration (without a will) granted by the Probate Registry of the Lagos State High Court in 2010 with reference no PHC/2114/2010, “pursuant to which my aforesaid son and me are the administrators of my aforesaid late husband’s estate, which includes the said land.”

The statement further said that Alhaja Ojikutu had signed an undertaking to refund N130m to Okekearu, and had already paid N50m out of the said amount.

Also in the statement, Ojikutu’s lawyers maintained that she had legal rights to the land as its joint owner, and therefore, had the prerogative to sell following her husband’s death in 2008. It also denied that Ojikutu ever used the said land in any transaction prior to when the land was sold to Okekearu.

Earlier in the week, the Special Fraud Unit of the Nigeria Police had declared the former deputy governor wanted for allegedly defrauding a land buyer of N130m.

The SFU alleged that the suspect and her son, Samson, fraudulently obtained the money from Okekearu by selling a plot of land belonging to one Mr. Afolabi, to the complainant.

The police also accused Ojikutu of jumping bail and not willing to abide by the terms of payment, which should have had her completely refund Okekearu by November 2012.

Meanwhile, Ojikutu is away in the United States of America and so far, there is no indication of when she intends to return to the country, in spite of her status as a wanted citizen. [Punch]

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending