Properties worth millions of naira were destroyed Wednesday morning during a fire outbreak that gutted the building of the Edo State Ministry of Education, Benin City, capital of Edo State.
Mostly affected by the fire were the exams and records offices where Primary School Leaving Certificates belonging to the defunct Bendel State, now Edo and Delta states, were kept.
The certificates affected were said to be dated back to the Mid-Western region period as well as those of the present Edo State.
Eyewitness account revealed that the fire began from the last floor but for the timely response of Edo state fire service and Nigerian army school of supply and transport the building would have been completely destroyed.
The Edo state Commissioner of Education, Washington Osifo described the incident as a national loss, adding that all unclaimed certificates that dates back to the mid-west region were all burnt, he however said that he suspects foul play as there was power outage throughout the night ruling out electricity which is usually blamed for fire outbreak.
He said, “I want to say I don’t know why it is happening at this time, though there is no time that is good for anyone to experience what he/she has laboured for to be destroyed by fire.
“We are disheartened to know that the educational records dating back to the time of Mid-Western region to date were destroyed. I was not even born then. I met these records here.
“Yesterday before the close of day’s work these records were here. Today, I woke up with the intention to begin from where I stopped and this is what I saw. The records are no more. What that means is that anything that is binding now as far as education is concerned in the state is affected. Both primary and secondary records in Edo State are here. With this fire outbreak, there is a total disconnection now.
“Even those who are in the tertiary institutions who still have their primary school leaving certificates here can no longer lay claims to such certificates. It is sad. They should be sad, Edo people should be sad, I am sad and humanity in general should be sad.
“A panel of inquiry would be set up. Its mandate would include investigating the causes of the incident. It must find out why, how and when the fire started,” Mr Osifo said.
The Public Relations Officer, Edo state fire service said due to their prompt intervention the fire has been put out and destruction was reduced to the minimal, adding that though the last floor is completely burnt the other floors were not affected.
An eyewitness said he suspected that the fire was man-made and premeditated because it started from the section were records are kept, stressing that investigations should be carried out to ascertain the cause of the outbreak.
The Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole during an on-the-spot assessment of the extent of damage described it as a case of arson, adding that he will setup a commission of enquiry into the cause of the early morning fire disaster.
Burna Boy, Stefflon Don Unfollow Each Other On Instagram
Nigerian singer, Burna Boy and his girlfriend. Stefflon Don, have reportedly unfollowed each other on Instagram.
Information Nigeria recalls that last year, the self-acclaimed African giant unfollowed everyone on Instagram, leaving only Steff but as it is now, he has unfollowed her too.
#EndSARS: People take time out to curse me in their prayers– Aisha Yesufu Reveals
Nigerian activist, Aisha Yesufu, has revealed that Muslims now take out time to curse her in their prayers.
Information Nigeria recalls that Yesufu lead #EndSARS campaign against police brutality and reforms.
The female activist disclosed this on her Twitter handle.
”Heard I am being cursed in mosques! People finish praying and take time out to curse me in their prayers I have asked they should please let me know how many of these curses they rained on me when I was making same demands during GEJ! We are all already cursed in Nigeria”
Heard I am being cursed in mosques! People finish praying and take time out to curse me in their prayers
I have asked they should please let me know how many of these curses they rained on me when I was making same demands during GEJ!
We are all already cursed in Nigeria
— Aisha Yesufu (@AishaYesufu) October 30, 2020
Hoodlums loot Ndoma-Egba house in Calabar, cart away his late father’s robes
Hoodlums who destroyed and looted the residence of former leader of the Nigerian Senate, Victor Ndoma-Egba in Calabar reportedly carted away the Judge’s robes of the politicians’ father.
Reacting to the incidence, Ndoma-Egba appeared to the hoodlums to return the robes of his late father who was a judge.
Ben Ayade, governor of the state, had imposed a 24-hour curfew as part of measures to contain the situation but the mob broke loose.
In a statement, Ndoma-Egba narrated how he got intelligence on the attack but despite informing security agencies, “nothing was done to stop the attack”.
“At about 2 am (local time, as I was abroad) on Saturday 24th. October 2020 I received a text informing me that there were plans by arranged hoodlums to attack my residence in Calabar, that of Senator Gershom Bassey and a hotel owned by Senator John Owan Enor,” he said.
“I promptly forwarded the texts to Senators Bassey and Owan Enoh. I also called the security agencies in Calabar to apprise them of the information. Calabar from my information was already tense from the previous day’s break-in into warehouses storing COVID 19 palliatives and the subsequent breaching of shops and other businesses. The impending attack on Senators Bassey, Owan Enoh and I was already public knowledge as later that morning I got many calls to that effect.
“Thereafter I kept calling the security agencies by the hour when in spite of their assurances that they will secure my house there was no evidence of any security personnel in my vicinity. I understand, the times were indeed confounding for everybody.
“At about 2 pm the intruders broke into my house and looted it to the ground leaving only the bare floor. All the toilets, baths, pumps and indeed every imaginable fitting were removed as were items of furniture, clothing, a huge collection of mainly rare, out of print books, documents and historic photographs. They also removed all the windows, railings, family pictures and burglary proofs. Even my private chapel was not spared.
“They set the cars ablaze and parts of the building after more than four hours of interrupted operations in my house. It was methodical. Among the intruders were obviously electricians, plumbers, carpenters, motor mechanics, panel beaters and other tradesmen. Mercifully, no life was lost. I started building the house in 1991 and moved in in January, 2009.
“While not prejudging, and without prejudice to the work of the security agencies, I have forgiven the intruders, and pray fervently for them to find meaning, inner peace, and fulfilment in their lives. I only plead that they return my late father’s judges robes which they certainly would not be needed for anything and is surely incriminating.
“The destruction of my house was clearly premeditated, wanton and unjustifiable but I understand the anger in the land especially amongst our youths. However, if looting and burning my home will better their lives and bring positive change to our land, then it is a sacrifice my family and I gladly make.”
Ndoma-Egba said there is an urgent need to educate, motivate and engage the youth if they must be a blessing to the country.
- Entertainment21 hours ago
‘You Have Forgotten Days Your Wife Was Feeding You’ – Georgina Onuoha Drags Desmond Elliot
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Desmond Elliot Breaks Down In Tears On Live TV Following Backlash (Video)
- National News23 hours ago
Buhari Congratulates Oba Of Lagos On His Birthday
- Entertainment21 hours ago
‘May You Catch COVID-19’ – Toke Makinwa Slams Those Accusing Her Of Getting Paid To Fake Her Illness
- National News23 hours ago
WTO: Gov Ikpeazu Drums Support For Okonjo-Iweala’s Appointment
- Entertainment14 hours ago
Nse Ikpe-Etim Reacts To Desmond Elliot’s Call For Social Media Regulation
- National News23 hours ago
BREAKING: IGP Replies Amnesty, Says Policemen Didn’t Shoot #EndSARS Protesters
- Education23 hours ago
Ondo To Reopen Schools November 2nd