Connect with us

News Feed

FG Approves Cut-Off Marks For 2013/2014 UTME

Published

on

The Federal Government on Tuesday in Abuja approved cut-off marks for admission into tertiary institutions for the 2013/2014 academic session.

ruqayyatu-rufai

The Minister of Education, Ruqayyatu Rufa’i, announced the cut-off marks into Colleges of Education, Polytechnics and other degree-awarding  institutions as 150 while 180 is for federal universities.

Rufa’i said this at the Fourth Combined Policy Meeting on Admission to Degree-Awarding Institutions, National Diploma (ND), Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) and National Innovation Diploma (NID) awarding institutions.

She said the meeting was to plan for the selection of qualified candidates into the nations tertiary institutions and also to restore confidence in the education system.

“I implore all stakeholders to follow the Federal Government’s guidelines on admission which stipulates a 70:30 Technology/Non-Technology ratio for ND programmes.

“Also, 60:40 Science/Arts ratio for Degree and Nigeria Certificate in Education programmes and also to observe the criteria on merit, catchments and educationally less developed states.

“In addition, we must not forget the carrying-capacity of our institutions as approved by the accrediting bodies,’’ she said.

According to her, the accreditation bodies are the National Universities Commission (NUC), National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) and National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE).

Rufa’i said in order to enhance the carrying capacities of the country’s institutions the ministry had undertaken continuous development and rehabilitation of infrastructure in the institutions of higher learning.

She, however, said the Tertiary Education Trust Fund had disbursed N256.4 billion over the past three years for diverse development activities in the institutions.

She said that at the polytechnic level all the 51 Federal and state and polytechnics had benefited from rehabilitation and upgrading of their laboratories to 21st century standards at a total of N15 billion.

She said that this had helped to enhance the teaching and learning process in the institutions.

She also said that work had also started on the construction of micro-teaching laboratories in our colleges of education.

The minister also said that all Federal Colleges of Education and one state College of Education per state would benefit from this, making a total of 58 institutions at a cost of N11.6 billion.

“I am pleased that these interventions continue to translate to expanded carrying capacity in our institutions.

“For this academic year, we expect carrying capacity to increase from 400,691 admitted last year to over 500,000.

“I urge all institutions to carefully examine their carrying capacities in relation to their expanding infrastructure. You must make sure that you fill the quota for each course.’’

She called on all institutions to adhere to the admission timetable as prepared by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

Rufa’i commended JAMB on the successful conduct of the 2013 UTME.

The Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, said the meeting was to prepare grounds for needed capital development to engineer the Nigerian Technological growth that would be attained through quality and functional education of the citizens.

“Let me remind all the federal institutions that the ratio of 45:35:20 for merit, catchment and educationally less-developed states, respectively, is still in force and should be adhered to strictly to ensure national cohesion.

“All Nigerians must be given the opportunity to mix and educate freely in any part of the country.’’

Ojerinde also said the ratio of 40:40:20 for state-owned institutions must be strictly adhered to

Continue Reading
15 Comments

15 Comments

  1. Onyeka

    June 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm

    All I wanto hear is abut poly strike.wats d latest abut d strike?

  2. Jubu Vitalis Ahua

    June 18, 2013 at 7:13 pm

    What is the fed ministry of education doing about posting youth coppers that are not trained as teacher to teach in schools.I think this contribute more than 60% of down fall of enducational standard in the country.The fed govt shld look into this problem,with effect from the nxt batch of NYSC that will commenced 25 of this month.

  3. Engr Mark Iwu

    June 18, 2013 at 9:50 pm

    This article on jamb score for federal institution is cabdo rejectimental: considering the rate at which jamb treated their customers dis year in conducting the most riduculous jamb exams. The minister should have been considerate enough to bring it low to at least 170 to allow more Nigerian student to take up d post ume exams to have more advantage into the universities. Its better to get it right as it was obvious jamb failed dis time in their choice of failing more students just for not been scraped and wants to make a mark in the national building but ended up making mockry of their credibility. Minister get it rigth for once. Take a look at d falling standard of education in the country.

    • uyi precious

      June 19, 2013 at 10:45 pm

      Pls they should tell †̥̥h̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ jamb board to resell change of institute Ȋ̝̊̅§ very important

  4. osahi

    June 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm

    180 out of 400? Or has the total score changed? Is this supposed to improve the very low standard of tertiary education in Nigeria? This is ridiculous. What kind of graduates do we intend to produce?

  5. Kadiri Ibrahim

    June 19, 2013 at 7:11 am

    How many schools have worked with FG’s CUT-OFF marks over the years? FG saying their own, schools doing what they know how to do best

  6. Alfa

    June 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

    What the fuck did they mean by that after failing almost 70% of student and faking it by calling it mass failure and they dont wanna reduce the cut off mark for universities why not reducing it since you reduce that of the polytechnic ,to hell with the so called FG

    • Omenwa

      June 19, 2013 at 9:10 am

      Pls they cut down uni to 180 and Pol Col to . 150

      • Vicky A.

        June 20, 2013 at 1:10 pm

        I think the Jamb board should really do something about the cut-off mark.

  7. Mdsalau

    June 19, 2013 at 8:47 am

    Hep us ask her dat y cnt she talk abt asup strik

  8. asaju odunayo

    June 19, 2013 at 9:06 am

    Well its gud sha, but ow ar we sure d institutns are goin 2 folow d instructn, bcos sme institutn like unilorin is vry strict about cut off. which is 200

  9. SAMJAMSON

    June 19, 2013 at 9:54 am

    FG av sayd their’s, just praying universities comply to it.

  10. uyi precious

    June 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm

    Jamb should start seal of change of institution

  11. ABAYOMI

    June 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm

    ONE NIGERIA

  12. James

    July 5, 2013 at 7:23 am

    Its ok. If u chose Delsu and u got 180.do not b ignorant,the form xpires on the 19th.for any kind of help eg registration etc..cal 08065746173

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

COVID-19 vaccine: US embassy celebrates Nigerian doctor Ogbuagu

Published

on

The United States Mission to Nigeria has celebrated Dr Onyema Ogbuagu, for his role in the development of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Ogbuagbu, who graduated from the University of Calabar in 2003, migrated to the US and rose to become an Associate Professor of Medicine and Infectious Disease Specialist at Yale University.

He was part of the team that helped pharmaceutical company, Pfizer, to develop a COVID-19 vaccine.

In a Facebook message on Monday, the US mission wrote, “Nigerians contribute to the world in so many ways. Our hats off to Dr Onyema Ogbuagu at Yale who helped develop a COVID-19 vaccine.”

Ogbuagu is the son of a former Vice-Chancellor of Abia State University, Prof Stella Ogbuagu. He also has a twin brother who is an engineer.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Elon Musk surpasses Bill Gates to become the world’s second-richest person as Tesla’s market cap inches closer to $500 billion

Published

on

After beating Mark Zuckerberg in world rich list ranking — the billionaire Tesla CEO Elon Musk has now leapfrogged Bill Gates to grab the world’s second-richest ranking.

Musk’s net worth rose more than $7.2 billion on November 23, driven by another surge in the Tesla share price, according to the Bloomberg Billionaire Index. The current net worth of Elon Musk stands at $127.9 billion.

This comes as one of the biggest gains in the ranking of the world’s 500 richest people — Musk has added over $100.3 billion to his net worth this year.

Elon Musk surpasses Bill Gates to become the world’s second-richest person as Tesla’s market cap inches closer to $500 billion

In January 2020, he ranked 35th, but the soaring Tesla share price has driven his ranking to surpass other billionaires in the world.

The jump in Musk’s fortune came as the shares of the electric car-maker Tesla soared as the electric car makers market cap neared $500 billion on Monday.

Gates would have been on the top, had it not been for his philanthropy.

~BusinessInsider~

Continue Reading

News Feed

#EndSARS Protest: Those who have murdered Nigerians will not benefit from trade or travel to the UK – Lyn Brown

Published

on

British politician serving as Member of Parliament, Lyn Brown has called for sanctions against those involved in the shooting incident during the EndSARS protest in Lekki on October 20.

Speaking during a debate in the house on Monday November 23, Lyn stated that the least they can do is to make sure that those who have “murdered” Nigerians and deprived them of their human rights are not able to benefit from trade or travel to the UK.

She added that these include government officials and the Nigerian army who are stopping a “transparent investigation and effecting of justice.”

The lawmaker also averred that it was unfortunate that the Federal Government went ahead to not only accuse protesters of sponsoring terrorism and freeze their accounts, but also blamed them for the increase in food prices.

Continue Reading

Trending