As Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi calls for meeting of the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) on Wednesday, factional Chairman, Da Jonah Jang, has claimed credit for the release of outstanding allocation to states by the Federal Government last week.
Jang and Amaechi have been having running battles as to who is the authentic chairman of the NGF with both governors maintaining separate secretariats and divided into camps.
But Jang, in claiming victory, said he was able to use diplomatic channels to convince President Goodluck Jonathan to release the funds when his faction of the forum met with the President a few days ago. This remark has been viewed as a veiled attack at Amaechi whom the Presidency has accused in the past as being confrontational
The Sole Administrator of the Jang faction of the NGF, Mr. Osaro Onaiwu, in a statement in Abuja on Monday, said the Plateau governor would continue to use the Forum to foster improved relationship and partnership with the Federal Government.
Onaiwu said, “Before the current leadership, one of the most contentious issues between the governors and the Federal Government was the sharing quotient of revenues from the Federation Account and Excess Crude Fund.
“The issue created a big gap between these tiers of government. This was no doubt a worrisome situation that needed to be handled with tact and diplomacy in order to achieve an amicable resolution of the issues.
“Consequently, the Forum resolved and set up a committee of its members to engage the Federal Government on the FAAC issues with a mandate to represent the NGF and to critically examine every point of contestation between the governors and the Presidency without acrimony and recommend a way to approach the President and tackle the problem amicably.”
Onaiwu noted that during the meeting with the President at the Presidential Villa last Monday, Jang made a very profound and non combative presentation on behalf of the 16 governors that were in attendance.
He further said it was in appreciation of Jang’s presentation that the Federal Government set up a presidential committee, chaired by the Governor of Bauchi State, Malam Isa Yuguda, on the complaints raised by him (Jang).
According to the statement, others members of the committee are the Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; Minister of State for Finance, Dr. Yerima Ngama; Accountant General of the Federation, Mr. Jonah Otunla and Director General, Budget Office, Dr. Bright Okogu.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
#EndSARS: Protesters Rain Curses On Me: Femi Adesina
Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina has revealed that he has been receiving curses from Nigerians through phone calls and text messages over a false report that he advised his principal to shun protesters.
Adesina stated in an article he wrote titled: “An Enemy of the People’ published on Thursday evening.
￼Adesina denied that he advised President Buhari for whatever reasons on the End SARS protesters, but said an online platform falsely accused him that he told Buhari to “ignore the protests and not give in to the demands of ‘Twitter warriors’.
He explained that his telephone numbers were posted on social media, thereby, making people reach out to him with curses.
- Entertainment20 hours ago
Actress Ada Ameh Breaks Down In Tears; Begs Government To Allow Her Bury Daughter (Video)
- News Feed22 hours ago
Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet -Deceased’s Brother
- National News22 hours ago
You’re a total idiot – 2Face and Blackface clash again
- News Feed22 hours ago
Lagos Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat Clears The Air On Lekki Light Outage
- News Feed22 hours ago
“They took all my years of hardwork” – Uche Elendu Laments Looting of Her Store by Hoodlums (photos)
- News Feed19 hours ago
“I don’t care about #EndSARS”- Edo state deputy governor’s son slams protesters
- National News23 hours ago
SERAP Drags Buhari Government, Military To ICC Over Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters
- National News21 hours ago
Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: Osinbajo Breaks Silence