As Kogi State prepares to hold its council polls on Saturday May 4, the state chapter of the Action Congress of Nigeria has threatened fire and brimstone if the state Independent Electoral Commission (KOSIEC) refuses to heed to its advice to ensure a level playing field by displaying the voters’ register within the stipulated time.
Speaking to journalists yesterday in Lokoja, the ACN leader and former governor of the state, Prince Abubakar Audu, said there is proof that KOSIEC was allegedly making plans to divert election materials on the day of election.
Flanked by the ACN chairman, Mr. Haddy Ametuo and the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) Chairman, Mohammed Mobo Kassim, Audu stated that any attempt to short change the electorate was capable of breaching the peace in the state.
He said election materials meant for about six local government areas comprising Ofu, Dekina (where the incumbent governor hails from), Ijumu, KotonKarfe, Olamaboro, and Idah; where the opposition have comparative advantage, would be diverted on election, to deprive the people of the chance to vote candidates of their choice.
While declaring that the issue of display of voters’ register was a constitutional order that cannot be discarded, Audu warned of a possible breakdown of law and order, if the elections are manipulated by the ruling party.
The ACN said part of the plans to rig the election by the PDP include the use of fake Army and Police personnel to hijack the ballot boxes but warned that the party will vehemently reject the move.
It also alleged that in its bid to rig the election, the PDP-led government in the state substituted the electoral officers of Ijumu and Adavi Local Government Areas respectively because they refused their biddings
“We are ready to give fire for fire, pebble for pebble and stone for stone and make the state ungovernable,” the party warned.
Kogi State, Action Congress of Nigeria, State Independent Electoral Commission, Voters’ Register, Lokoja, Prince Abubakar Audu, Haddy Ametuo, Congress for Progressive Change, Mohammed Mobo Kassim, Electoral Officers
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Omotola Apologizes For Her Insensitive Tweet About The Lekki Tollgate Shooting
- Entertainment24 hours ago
Actress Doris Ogala Calls Out Uche Elendu For Allegedly Lying That Her Store Was Looted
- Entertainment21 hours ago
Ronke Oshodi Oke Cries Uncontrollably As She Regrets Campaigning For Buhari
- National News7 hours ago
#EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack
- News Feed11 hours ago
Users can now mute WhatsApp chats forever
- National News10 hours ago
Ben Ayade Declares 24-Hour Curfew In Cross River
- National News9 hours ago
End SARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew
- News Feed10 hours ago
Buhari has ordered probe into Lekki shootings: Minister