Connect with us

News Feed

Confession Of A 12-Year-Old Robber In Ogun: I Prefer Being With My Gang To Staying At Home

Published

on

Seyi Olatunji cannot give his exact age. At a time he would say he was 12 years old; at another time, he would call himself a 15-year-old. It was evident that he had had no formal education since he was born. This he confirmed.

seyi-covered_350

But one thing that he could talk on without mincing words was his foray into the crime world as a young boy and how he had enjoyed his gang’s escapades until his arrest.

The Ogun State Police Command arrested the kid suspect recently at Ifo two months after law enforcement agents had been on the trail of his gang which had been terrorising the residents of Orile-Ifo community. Seyi’s gang’s last operation reportedly took place at Orile Ifo on February 4. Other suspected gang members mentioned by Seyi but who are still on the run include Samson, Kunle, Azeez a.k.a. Ogede and Ganiyu Adekunle a.k.a. Igi Ewedu. Adekunle was said to have brought others who joined the gang for robbery but did not follow them for the operation.

After his arrest, Crime Reports learnt that the suspect had been transferred to the Anti-Robbery section of the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Eleweran, Abeokuta for further investigation.

In an interview with Crime Reports, Olatunji disclosed that he was being adequately taken care of by his mother, stepfather and biological father but was always drawn to the streets by his friends, whose company he enjoyed. He stated further that his stepfather, who is a bricklayer, also encouraged him to learn bricklaying as a vocation but he did not just have the patience to remain at the job.

According to him,  “my parents are separated and my mother has remarried.She lives at Itori while father lives at Ifo in Ogun State. I sometimes lived with my stepfather but I also stayed with my father at Ifo. I also used to stay outside my parents’ homes because I prefer to be with my friends.

“They (my friends) used to invite me to robbery operations. My role was ususally to be on the watchout so that I would alert others in case of any danger. I am member of the community so I know all the nooks and the crannies.We used to go houses and shops at Ifo communities late in the night. We used to go with two guns usually held by Samson and Kunle. Both of them are currently on the run. We are usually about six that usually go for the operation. I am the youngest of them all. I have been with them for quite some time but I can’t recollect the exact duration.

“I have been on operation with the gang three times and I was given N2,000 each time. The first one was when they went to Alhaja and collected a plastic containing cash she made from sales on the fateful day, her phone and bag. Initially, she did not want to release the plastic, so they struggled with her.

As she was shouting, someone came and tried to rescue her. So one of the gang members shot him in the leg. The following day, Alhaja cried to my father’s house that she was robbed the previous night. But I pretended as if I didn’t know anything. Another time, we went to one woman who rears and sells chickens. The third time, we did not meet our target, because she closed from her shop early on that day.”

On how he was arrested, Olatunji said it was a nightguards who apprehended him where he slept. “I confessed to them that I was involved in robbery with my friends but they could not get others, because I did not know their residences. We used to meet at Igunnuko arena at Ifo on Fridays,”he said.

However, the police image maker in Ogun State, Muyiwa Adejobi, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, said that the suspect would be charged to the approriate court with consideration for his age.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

#EndSARS: Ekiti state government declares 24-hour curfew

Published

on

Following the various attacks on #EndSARS protesters in the state, Governor Kayode Fayemi has imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state effective from 10pm on today, Tuesday, October 20.

In a statement released by the Secretary to the State Government, Biodun Oyebanji, the state government said the curfew became necessary following the state government’s observation of how the end SARS protest, which started as a peaceful protest against police brutality by youths in Ekiti State, has been hijacked by some hoodlums.

Read the statement below

1. The Government of Ekiti State has observed with growing concern how the ENDSARS protest, which started as a peaceful protest against police brutality by youths in Ekiti State, has been hijacked by some hoodlums.

2. The hoodlums have capitalised on the ENDSARS protest to rape, assault, rob and extort innocent citizens across the State. These are in addition to the wanton destruction of properties, particularly private properties.

3. Government is concerned that if this state of affairs is allowed to continue unabated, it will lead to a breakdown of law and order thereby threatening the wellbeing of the people of Ekiti State.

4. For the purpose of clarity Government continues to show understanding and responsiveness to the demands of the legitimate protesters.

5. On 16th October 2020, Dr. John Kayode Fayemi, Governor, Ekiti State met with the protesters in person. While identifying with the legitimacy of their protests, he assured them that the State Government will immediately put measures in place to respond to all their demands.

6. Government has since then constituted a Human Rights Investigation Panel to review all cases of abuse by Officers of the disbanded SARS. In addition, Government has enabled a Victims Compensation Fund to facilitate speedy remedial measures for victims of such abuse.

7. Furthermore, several officials of Government have engaged the protesters at multiple fora and platforms including the social media in order to ensure that concerns of protesters are properly identified and responded to in a prompt and efficient manner with necessary feedback.

8. Government had also at various times drawn the attention of the protesters to the troubling hijack of the protests by individuals whose only interest is to inflict violence on the people of the state.

9. In the past 48 hours there have been incidents of gang-rape, robberies, physical assaults on innocent people, looting and burning of a police station. These acts of brigandage are not in consonance with the legitimate aspirations of the protesters. It cannot be logical to seek to remedy impunity with impunity.

10. Government therefore cannot afford to watch a deliberate enthronement of anarchy by some bad elements who have hijacked the protest for some clandestine reasons.

11. Consequently, the Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi, hereby imposes a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State starting from 10.00 pm tonight, Tuesday, October, 20, 2020.

12. Only essential workers and service providers with valid means of identifications are allowed to move around during the period of the curfew.

13. Any person found on the street that does not belong to this category, would be promptly arrested and prosecuted according to the laws of Ekiti State.

14. We seek the understanding of the good people of Ekiti State as we continue to take deliberate steps towards ensuring that peace and normalcy return to our state.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Davido speaks on the events of the past 48 hours

Published

on

Davido speaks on the events of the past 48 hours

Nigerian superstar, Davido has said criminals are responsible for the attack on two Correctional Centres in Benin City, Edo State.

Davido made the claim while absolving End SARS protesters of involvement in the attacks.

The singer pointed out that no amount of mischief would stop the protest against police brutality and bad governance.

Davido made the remark while condemning the attack on two Correctional Centres in Benin City, Edo State.

The hoodlums had attacked the facilities and freed some inmates.

Reacting, the singer in a series of tweets wrote: “After seeing all that’s gone on today I just want to say that from the beginning we have preached that the protest must remain peaceful and Law Abiding and as far as I know we have kept to that! And we will continue to keep to that so the narrative can NOT be switched up on us!

“The people they claim broke into prisons to free convicted criminals, burn police stations to steal weapons, damage police, government, and private vehicles are Criminals and everybody must condemn these acts. They are not part of our movement !

“#EndSars is a peaceful and law abiding protest that is going somewhere great! And no mischief can scatter it!”

Continue Reading

National News

Address Nigerians over #EndSARS protests – Senate urges Buhari

Published

on

Address Nigerians over #EndSARS protests – Senate urges Buhari

The Nigerian Senate has called on President Buhari to urgently address the nation so as to douse the tension in the country.

This comes as hoodlums continue to carry out various attacks on #EndSARS protesters and others in some parts of the country.

The Senators made the call for President Buhari to speak to the Nation after a motion was moved by Senator Biodun Olujimi and co-sponsored by all Senators on the ongoing nationwide protests believed to have been hijacked by hoodlums.

Part of the resolution of the Senators after deliberation include:

-Urge all tiers of government to put in place and sustain policies of social economic reforms that raise the standard of lives of our people;

-Call upon the Police to operate strictly in accordance with the rules of engagement appropriate in a democratic environment;

-Urge the Inspector General of Police to ensure a holistic comprehensive reforms of the police to increase the overall welfare including training and medical insurance of all members of the Nigeria Police Force

-Appeal to all Nigerians to resort to use of legal institutions to resolve disputes and conflicts;

-Urge the Nigerian youths and the Nigerian citizens to approach the National Assembly Committees Constitution and Reforms in order to secure far-reaching holistic amendments that are vital to the restructuring of our federation

-Urge the Federal Government to faithfully and comprehensively implement all the five demands of the #EndSARS movement and protesters with necessary timelines to rekindle confidence in government

-Appeal to #EndSARS movement and protesters to kindly in the interest of everyone stop their actions and embrace genuine dialogue; 7. Urge Mr. President to address the nation as soon as possible on these issues.

-Police should make it a duty to accompany protesters and should be involved in protecting genuine protesters.

Continue Reading

Trending