Connect with us

World news

British Security Services Tried To Recruit London Attack Suspect – Friend

Published

on

Abu Nusaybah

British security services once tried to recruit Michael Adebolajo, a London soldier murder suspect, according to an alleged friend.

Abu Nusaybah told BBC television on Friday that Adebolajo was asked by the MI5 domestic intelligence agency if he wanted to work for them, but he declined.

The BBC said Abu Nusaybah was promptly arrested on their premises after giving the interview.

Scotland Yard police headquarters said Saturday that counter-terror officers had arrested a 31-year-old man in London on suspicion of the “commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism”.

It is understood the arrest was not directly linked to the brutal murder of soldier Lee Rigby, who was hacked to death in the street Wednesday outside the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, southeast London.

Adebolajo, 28, and Michael Adebowale, 22, who remain under armed guard in hospital after being shot by police at the scene, were known to the intelligence services but were reportedly assessed as not posing a deadly threat.

Abu Nusaybah said he first met Adebolajo in early 2002 and was struck by things his friend said to him roughly six months ago.

The murder suspect claimed he had been picked up by Kenyan forces and physically assaulted in detention there.

Abu Nusaybah said after Adebolajo returned from Kenya, MI5 agents repeatedly called at his home.

Adebolajo was “basically being harassed by MI5, this is something that he specifically mentioned to me.

“His wording was: ‘They are bugging me — they won’t leave me alone.’

“He mentioned initially they wanted to ask him whether he knew certain individuals.

“But after him saying that he didn’t know these individuals and so forth, what he said is they asked him whether he would be interested in working for them.

“He was explicit in that he refused to work for them but he did confirm that he didn’t know the individuals.”

The BBC said it could not obtain any confirmation from government ministry sources as to whether Adebolajo had been approached by MI5.

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending